AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a novice at LCD TV technology, and I've dragged my feet so bad that my best TV is a ten-year-old 27-inch Sony Trinitron. But I do read a lot, and the more I read, the more questions I have.

Anyway, I was at the local blue box the other night. The sales drone informed me that the trend is AWAY from LED backlighting in favor of Edge LED.

What do people here think? Was he full of it? It's my understanding that Edge LED can produce very thin displays, but that LED backlighting is superior.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
If there's any trend going on I'd venture to say it's toward replacing upper midrange and high end ccfl sets with edge lit led. Local dimming backlit led's are still very expensive so they're outsold by the edge lit models by a fair margin, that doesn't necessarily mean they're going to disappear--they still offer the best pq available in an lcd set. If local dimming can be accomplished as well using edge lighting then the backlit models may disappear. I think Sony has one model that they claim is local dimming edge lit, but it's lower in the hierarchy than their backlit local dimmer.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Actually, what I think the Blue Box guy meant to say (or should have said) is that the trend is away from CCFL LCDs in favor of edgelit LED LCDs and backlit LED LCDs.

The misconception by many on this forum is that there are LCD or LED TVs. In fact, all LCDs must be lit in some fashion, either CCFL (Cold Cathode Flourescent) or LED (Light Emitting Diode).

As a general rule, backlit LED is preferable over edgelit LED.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/18250088

Actually, what I think the Blue Box guy meant to say (or should have said) is that the trend is away from CCFL LCDs in favor of edgelit LED LCDs and backlit LED LCDs.

The misconception by many on this forum is that there are LCD or LED TVs. In fact, all LCDs must be lit in some fashion, either CCFL (Cold Cathode Flourescent) or LED (Light Emitting Diode).

As a general rule, backlit LED is preferable over edgelit LED.

Technically speaking, all LCD panels are "backlit" in some way. Doesn't matter whether the lighting comes from directly behind the LCD panel. The new light-wave guides being used by edge-lit designs are quite functional and can produce very good even backlighting.

Local dimming is being introduced into the market using edge-lit technology. Although not as efficient as LED's behind the panel, it is good enough to provide local dimming with a very slim panel and slim is in. All of the top-end models for 2010 are going to be slim panel designs.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by display veteran /forum/post/18253276

Technically speaking, all LCD panels are "backlit" in some way. Doesn't matter whether the lighting comes from directly behind the LCD panel. The new light-wave guides being used by edge-lit designs are quite functional and can produce very good even backlighting.

Local dimming is being introduced into the market using edge-lit technology. Although not as efficient as LED's behind the panel, it is good enough to provide local dimming with a very slim panel and slim is in. All of the top-end models for 2010 are going to be slim panel designs.

I'm waiting for your sig to change to "watch the movie, not the edge of the tv"
I've got nothing against ultraslim tvs if there's no sacrifice in pq.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts