AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-I'm currently designing another HT system in a great room

(20x18x30ft ceilings with open back of room)

I want the performance and look of a great 2 channel system for music but i also need a kick ass 5.1 HT setup without the bulk of 5 box speakers and 2 big subs.

-What do you guys think of (2) salk verocity HT-3 for Left and Right, (1) Triad Gold6 in wall for center, (2) Triad silver6 in walls for surround, and (4) Triad in wall bronze6 for subs.

-can't do bigger in wall subs because sub depth in wall is only 6in.

-was thinking of using 4 subs because they have only have 10in drivers, they must fill big space with a room with an open back and i like bass i can feel for HT.

--Will the Salks mesh well with the Triads or should i just go all Triad?

-opinions please

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Why are you so afraid of the "bulk" ? If you want sound quality (if you're willing to spend money on HT3 it appears you do) then in-walls won't give you a lot of it, for their price. A sealed 10" sub with 250 watts.. you need about 50 of them for a good LFE in a room like yours, imo. The woofers in the HT3 will probably out-bass those "subwoofers".
Quote:
--Will the Salks mesh well with the Triads or should i just go all Triad?

Go all Salk, ht3 fronts and ht1 surrounds/center. Get a pair of epik castles, a7s-450s or pb13 ultra's for subs.

Thats just my take as I'm not even really much into music, but I do think movies can benefit from good speakers just as much, especially the high res HD DTS, Dolby TrueHD and PCM soundtracks. If movies are a distant third after music and appearance to you - and you dont listen to multi channel music, then may be your idea would work well enough.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Goomz, I would either go for an all Triad or Salk frontal stage (L/C/R). You want the front three channels all the same. I would also recommend the front channels being mated with the same powered amplifier.

There is no doubt Triad makes absolutely wonderful speakers. We love them here and I own them in my own theater room (Gold LCR's). The Triad subwoofers are great as well. However, for that size room I highly recommend two Triad Inroom Gold subs for greater impact and their size is roughly 17" cubed, which is still small in that size of room. The Gold's are fantastic!

I'm sure Salk makes a good speaker as well. But, I have not heard them personally. Getting an audition of either brand will be difficult depending on where you live. Triad I would think would be easier.

Keep us up to date on your decision. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Obviously I'm not going to get into a comparison, but if you need to do inwalls, it can be done without compromise. There's no difference between the InWall and InRoom Gold LCR, other than form, for example.

As for subs in a 6" wall (obviously you want to go inwall), the Bronze PowerSub, which got thrown under the bus a few posts back, uses a Vifa XLS-10 driver, which is serious artillery. Tony Grimani from PMI (an ex-honcho of THX) uses multiples of this sub in installations all the time. I have one in my office, and it works nicely, but two would be better. Four of them provide lots of piston and cone area, and they would be the equal of one of our 18", 1000 watt Platinum PowerSub. I've heard systems with eight of these built in, and, with no subs visible in the room, there is a shock wave of bass.

I'm guessing the OP wants strong bass, but with no black boxes sitting in the room. Four Bronze PowerSubs would work.

I know Salk is a very respected brand, but I can't offer an opinion. Use what is most appropriate for your application.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
I agree that an all Triad or all Salk combination would be used, at least for the front three. Triad offers exactly what you need, and Jim Salk can build you exactly what you need, so there are really no limitations.

Any chance you can score an audition of each before you purchase? I highly recommending doing so as there is no substitute for listening with your own ears.

Whichever you go with, that's a decent sized room for HT and I am sure it's going to sound great once completed.

Finally, don't skimp on the subs or the raw power of the amp. More power and better subs = bigger smiles and higher satisfaction.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/15420678

A sealed 10" sub with 250 watts.. you need about 50 of them for a good LFE in a room like yours, imo.

50? Really? Hmmm.... Really?

../sarcasm off

Achieving decent sound quality while maintaining a decent visual appeal is a challenge many of us have faced for certain rooms. I just got finished with one, and the fact that you can't see any of the speakers (besides the speaker grill of the in-walls) is as satisfying as the sound quality, given that it's a more formal, entertainment type room.

I have another room that I'll begin on shortly, where sound quality will take first priority. My choice of speakers will be drastically different for that room. Perhaps the OP has a similar situation, or perhaps he just cannot use big box speakers for his room. Either way, ignoring the OP's requests and suggesting what YOU would do in whatever room you want, regardless of what HE wants his room to look like, provides no help to this discussion.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Oops, somehow I missed the OP's quest for in-wall offerings.

If you want an in-wall configuration, then I will only recommend Triad. Not out of bias being a dealer, but being a fan of just how well they perform. Which i guess is why we recommend and sell them.

·
Registered
521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooomz /forum/post/15419286

I want the performance and look of a great 2 channel system for music but i also need a kick ass 5.1 HT setup without the bulk of 5 box speakers and 2 big subs.

And, he spoke just below that of in-wall subs. He did not specifically say he wanted all inwalls, and I didn't really mean to suggest as such. I was merely pointing out that Cab was basically ignoring the OP, and being quite rediculous suggesting he needed 50 x 10" subs.

Obviously he has room for 2 large L/R speakers, as for subs and surrounds I only assumed that he desired "invisible" speakers based on what he did write. Perhaps he can clarify.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Oh, and as for his original question, I personally wouldn't be against using a different brand for surrounds than L/C/R, but would probably stick to the same brand for the front 3.

Nuance did make a good suggestion, that is talking to Jim about his needs. Perhaps he could design something that would fill all his needs without needing to put in inwalls.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrius /forum/post/15424064

My point.. exactly what the OP doesn't want (except perhaps the HT3 fronts, but the OP already suggested those).

Haha - yeah, he didn't read what the OP wrote me thinks.
You were totally within your right to call him out, bud. If you notice, though, he does that a lot, but it's usually a Selah Audio recommendation.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
There are plenty of HT's around here using Triads and I'm not impressed. They are not in the same league as an HT3. As a minimum get a matching center. Inwalls will work fine for the surrounds and mixing brands is done regularly.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I read his post thoroughly, but there's always a possibility that he understimates the difference in SQ between good "regular" speakers and subs vs the in-wall ones, and would be willing to sacrifice the appearance if he realized what the difference is. But if he does realize already and the appearance is the priority to him, than the setup he described would work, as I stated in my post.

The thing that triggered that type of reply was his choice of main speakers which are not really small or "invisible" kind.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

Quote:
There are plenty of HT's around here using Triads and I'm not impressed.

Some might say the same of the Salks.
To each their own. Only the listener can decide for themselves.

I like the idea of both Triad and Salk products. Both are custom and made right here in the good ol' USA......
.......I know the abilities of the Triads. And, for home theater, I can't think of anything else better.

Quote:
They are not in the same league as an HT3

I'm sure the HT3 is a very nice sounding speaker. It's certainly a nice piece of furniture. But, you've made a very bold statement without us knowing which Triad model you are making your comparisons.?.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I used to own Triad Silver Monitors, but after I bought a pair of HT3, the Triads are now packed up and stored in my garage - I will use it again when I build a hometheater in the future. But for music, no it's not in the same league as the HT3. The HT3 are very transparent, the Triads sounded 'muffy' in comparison. And of course, the HT3 has a killer bass that blows the Triads Silver Monitors out of the water. I have listened to the Triads LCR too, the bass is excellent, but it is still lacking in 'transparency'.

For hometheater, the Triads are more than enough - I probably wouldn't recommend mixing Triads and Salk, because they sound rather different, you can definitely tell which speakers are playing. For hometheater, I will go all Triads, or all Salk.

To the OP,

Mr. Salk can build you anything you want, why not give him the specs - size/shape, in-wall, on-wall, and he will build you exactly that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony /forum/post/15430540

Some might say the same of the Salks.
To each their own. Only the listener can decide for themselves.

I like the idea of both Triad and Salk products. Both are custom and made right here in the good ol' USA......
.......I know the abilities of the Triads. And, for home theater, I can't think of anything else better.

I'm sure the HT3 is a very nice sounding speaker. It's certainly a nice piece of furniture. But, you've made a very bold statement without us knowing which Triad model you are making your comparisons.?.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.