Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking at using Triad speakers for my living room cum home-theater. Triad's website mentions their surronds can be used in the ceiling (or on the ceiling).

Anybody has experience with such a setup?

Where do you place the speakers?

Is what the ceiling made of any issue (considering Triad speakers, fully enclosed)?

Thanks for any information.

Fred

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gages
I am using 2 pairs for my rears and sides and they work well
May I ask where they are located relative to listening position?

Thanks for your help

Fred

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
I'm using a single pair of Triad InWall Silver Surrounds in my dedicated home theater, and they're mounted in the ceiling, with grills custom painted by Triad to match. I can send you an e-mail .jpg, if you wish. They work very well in this application, which uses three InRoom Silver Monitors ($2000 each) and two InRoom Gold PowerSubs ($1400 each).

Position the speakers with the front array facing the front of the room and the rear array facing the back of the room, just as if they were mounted on the wall. I tend to like dipoles mounted a few feet behind the listening position (with ample spread) to move slightly out of the null area to make the speaker a little more directional. The 14.5" square dimension of the InWall SIlver Surround allows you to position the speaker correctly, regardless of the direction the ceiling joists run. As of a few months ago, there is a new version of the speaker, with upgraded drivers, but without changing the physical dimensions.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a pair of Triad Silver speakers mounted in the ceiling that I use for sides and a pair in the back wall for rears.

The ceiling mounted ones end up being about 2 feet behind your head when sitting in the front row and 2 feet in front of your head when at the second row of seats. The rears that are in the wall are mounted about 5 feet off of the floor, or 2 1/2 feet above my head.

I was watching the DD, THX-EX and DTS intro/demo's that I downloaded last night really got to experience the impact of the surrounds. My room is 21' x 15' and I think it would be better if I had a room that was a little longer. If the rears could be another 3 feet back, that would probably be ideal.

I don't think you will have any problems using the Triads in the ceiling.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All,

Thanks a lot for the info. I am actually looking at using such speakers for side and rears.

mcody, what is the spacing between the side and rears? In other terms, you'd like 3' more than how much? And I understand you're using dipoles as well for rear?

Paul, is there any effect as to what the ceiling is made of? I mean, does the speaker use any ceiling property for reflection or anything else?

And would it work to position the rears in the ceiling? I mean, you'd loose ANY sort of directivity IMHO. However direct radiating would not help... except of located at the very back of the room, on the wall.

Paul, any location near Switzerland where I can hear such speakers? I know subcentral ( www.subcentral.ch ) has a front array of inwall Gold, but except that...

I'll be in California early June if that gives more options :)

Fred

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
It really doesn't matter what material the ceiling is made of for surrounds, except it should be rigid and not covered with absorptive material.

I would position the rear dipoles on the back wall, if possible, with a good amount of spread.

We were just represented well at CEDIA Germany, but I can't tell you if we have any significant demo systems in dealers in Europe. You may want to check our website www.triadspeakers.com and click on a country to contact a local distributor who can tell you what is on display near you, if anything. I'll be in England in June for CEDIA UK, and shortly thereafter, I expect a gigantic increase in Triad sales throughout Europe and England, just by my mere presence...

Let me know when you'll be in California, and in what city, and I can put you in contact with a dealer who may be willing to show you product, even knowing that he won't get to sell it to you...of course, you COULD buy it from him, if you are appreciative... ;)

Thanks for the interest in Triad.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paul,

What if the ceiling is made of stretched PVC? (see www.newmat.com ) The speaker would be ON concrete, but the PVC would be aligned with the speaker height.

Of course, my problem is stretch PVC is not solid (but the speaker would not be hold by it), and that this combination is somewhat absorptive...

Maybe you'd recommend an onwall for such a ceiling?

Another question is: will you have a demo at CEDIA UK and can a nobody like me go ?

Thanks for your invaluable help.

Fred

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
If the ceiling material is a bit absorbtive, you may have to push the surrounds a bit harder to get the correct level, but it's no big deal. The InWall Silver Surround has about 2 dB more headroom from 100 Hz to 200 Hz than the OnWall because of the boundary effect, and this is a good thing in this case.

We will demo several systems at CEDIA UK, but it is an industry show and not open to the public. I'd love to get you in, but I can't.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Installing a surround dipole in the ceiling for use as an LCR won't work. We have in the past shipped custom versions of our Satellites, LCRs, and Monitors for use in the ceiling, however, with angled baffles aimed at the listening position. Demand has been sufficient that we have plans of incorporating them into the Triad line, but that won't happen before the end of the year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.