AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to get a pair of pre-owned platinum power subs and has little luck reading any reviews online. There isn't Triad brand in Audioreview either. Ecoustics.com only have one small review. I hope I can find any owners here for some comments on these subs. Perhaps some comparision against Servo 15 and of course SVS 20-39+ which I have originally been eyeing would be very helpful. My room size is 20 feet * 12 feet.

Many Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Try looking at this, as well as the reviews of other Triad subs on the Triad website. There's also a brief Hardesty review of the Platinum PowerSub. http://www.triadspeakers.com/pressro...iews/avi1.html

A pair of Platinum PowerSubs in a 20' x 12' room will make it possible for you to detach both retinas.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Paul...Was this particular sub reviewed in Stereophile Guide to HT , Home Theater Mag or Stereophile? Its ashamed that audioreview have no end user feedback.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Quote:
Was this particular sub reviewed in Stereophile Guide to HT , Home Theater Mag or Stereophile?
It hasn't been reviewed in any of those magazines, but Anthony Chiarella praises it in the '97 review. If it's set up properly, the Platinum PowerSub is a Bad Boy...as are other upscale subwoofers.

A redesigned Platinum PowerSub will appear in four weeks, with the 500 watt American-made Class AB amplifer available only in a separate rack version. The limiter has been redesigned, and the lowpass slope has been changed from 12 dB/octave to dual 12 dB/octave slopes to better match with all main speakers. We're using the same custom-designed 18" driver and the same basic heavy, inert enclosure, but output is up 1.5 dB. The price of a new one moves from $2200 to $2600.

The reason you haven't read owner feedback-type reviews is the majority of Platinum PowerSubs wind up being spec'd into big home theater systems done by high end installers. These clients aren't typical hobbyist/enthusiasts, and they don't typically offer reviews. If you decide to make this purchase of these used subs, you may contact me for setup help.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paul,

Good news ! I have gotten one of the pair for sale. My mate took the other one and we play a few tracks on his for a while. Compared to his Mirage 10", this platinum sub completely trashed it and mine as well (Mirage Bipolar 8"). We played some tracks from the DTS Demo 7 and this sub really rocks. I will getting mine back to my place soon. On first thoughts I will set the bass extension to 22Hz and crssover at 65Hz. I am using MC1 with Monitor Audio 9i and will set the crossover on the lexicon to 40 for the front. I will try this combination first. Let me know if you have other suggestion. I hope this sub will provide many long years of service.

Regards

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
With those settings, you may have a bass bump between 40 Hz and 65 Hz. I recommend setting the subwoofer lowpass to 65 Hz and your fronts at 80 Hz for the best transition and flattest response. There's no need for your fronts to try to duplicate the below-65 Hz frequencies. You're just using more amplifier power, causing more speaker excursion, and limiting the under-40 Hz information because the sub is not being allowed to handle all the bass.

You also may want to tape down all glass knick-knacks and breakables...

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I am running a pair of Triad Platinum PowerSubs and could not be happier. My Gold-line 1/12 octave RTA indicated that there was a dip at about 50 Hz and a peak at about 65 Hz with a gradual roll-off beyond that. I was able to easily dial out the dip and peak with a Rane equalizer and ended up with an in-room response that was flat to within plus or minus two db at the main listening positions from below 22 Hz to about 75 Hz. I then set my Lexicon MC-1 to add a very slight bass lift of about 2 db. The result is awesome bass impact, and no headroom problems at levels beyond THX reference. There is also no boominess. These are kick-ass subs and spank the performance of other subwoofers including the Paradigm Servo-15 and M&K MX5000 which I have had in my home theater.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I had the opportunity to hear this sub, which belonged to this friend of DexS. The moment it was powered up, that was it, be it music or HT, it trashed my servo 15 and the most memorable subwoofer I heard was the M&K 350 THX sub. Now this Triad Platinum subwoofer is my reference audition benchmark.

It is a pity NO ONE TALK MORE AND PRAISE MORE ABOUT THIS FABULOUS SUB.

I had some hair treatment done and CPR after the bass gun from Minority Report. WOH!

Perhaps Paul should consider to market it alone and not by custom installers, to be more accessible to consumers who don't want to spend $30k at one go.

CH Yeow

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.