AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to go with inwall speakers in my 15'3" (deep) by 13'6 wide living room which will be pushed by a Rotel RSX-1057 AVR. I am down to considering two sets of speakers:

Option #1: Triad

- LCR = InWall Bronze/4 LCR (Link)

- Surround = InWall Bronze/4 Surround (Link)

Option #2: Atlantic Technology

- LCR = IWCB-727-S (link)

- Surround = IWTS-30SR-P (link)

I have had a chance to hear speakers from Triad and Middle Atlantic and like what I hear but haven't had a chance to compare them in person as neither shop I visited had them in their show room.

Anyone willing to share your experiences with these models...

Thanks in advance!

Hoping my speaker quest is almost over (I can't take using my plasma TV speaker much longer!!!),

Brian

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Brian,

We use both products here and both are quite good. The Triad LCR will outperform the AT's, but will require some current to get the most out of them. The Rotel AVR's are pretty decent, so I would think there wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Again, both are quite good and I highly recommend both brands. Triad's IMHO are just the cream-of-the-crop in the custom market.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tony,

Thanks -- based on your experience can you describe "how" the Triads outperform that ATs?

And I have to say that I narrowed it down to these two companies because I have been able to call the company and get someone knowledgeable on the phone who would answer my questions (even the dumb questions - of which they were plenty).

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I've never had to call AT CS, but if it's anything like Triad's, then they are great as well.

To me, Triad has the better overall sound quality. Their in-wall cabinets have zero resonance issues, which cuts wall vibration down to being minimal. I also feel the Triad Inwall Bronze/4 LCR is able to play louder and cleaner. Absolutely fantastic in small to medium sized rooms. This is what we have on display in one of our rooms.

The AT's are quite good and I believe both companies respect each other. I love that the Triad's are assembled in the US and all the cabinets are made here as well.

·
Premium Member
13,346 Posts
The one area they differ is that the AT in-walls are THX "Select" certified. This means they should output Dolby Reference level (105 dB) in a room of less than 3,000 cubic feet, with low distortion.

Triad used to work with THX, but they no longer do. However, I think their speakers could easily do "Select" levels and most likely "Ulta2" levels, (105 dB in larger rooms.)

If you have a large room, the Triads would most likely be the better choice.

Craig

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/14254160

The one area they differ is that the AT in-walls are THX "Select" certified. This means they should output Dolby Reference level (105 dB) in a room of less than 3,000 cubic feet, with low distortion.

Triad used to work with THX, but they no longer do. However, I think their speakers could easily do "Select" levels and most likely "Ulta2" levels, (105 dB in larger rooms.)

If you have a large room, the Triads would most likely be the better choice.

Craig

Obviously I can't recommend one speaker over another, but I do like Atlantic, and the people at the company.

To clarify, we have been working with the THX folks again and we will go through the certification process with our subs and at least the new Gold LCRs. Right now, the Gold LCR presents a 4 ohm load with a minimum of 3.2 ohms, and a few receivers and even a few separates have difficulty with it. By year's end, it will be a 5 ohm speaker and certified.

Although the Bronze LCR has not been submitted to THX, because it has three drivers operating above the upper bass (not two) and is 1 dB more sensitive than the AT, and will handle as much or more power, it will play a bit louder. This may or may not be a consideration. Honestly, either speaker will be taxed to hit 105 dB in the far field of a 3,000 cubic foot room.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/14254805

Obviously I can't recommend one speaker over another, but I do like Atlantic, and the people at the company.

To clarify, we have been working with the THX folks again and we will go through the certification process with our subs and at least the new Gold LCRs. Right now, the Gold LCR presents a 4 ohm load with a minimum of 3.2 ohms, and a few receivers and even a few separates have difficulty with it. By year's end, it will be a 5 ohm speaker and certified.

Although the Bronze LCR has not been submitted to THX, because it has three drivers operating above the upper bass (not two) and is 1 dB more sensitive than the AT, and will handle as much or more power, it will play a bit louder. This may or may not be a consideration. Honestly, either speaker will be taxed to hit 105 dB in the far field of a 3,000 cubic foot room.

Paul, from a real world point of view, what does this mean? (And all this reading makes me want to get much smarter about this stuff!!)

Thanks,

Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts