AVS Forum banner

6921 - 6940 of 10573 Posts

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
In wall Silver LCR come in 4" and 6" depths...........................I see no issue. My room was 17 ft wide before clips and channels........... have no problems whatsoever with surrounds in columns.

BTW, CJ ie Craig John.......................

Proaudio Tech speakers are great sounding horns which use compression drivers...........................................sound quality is superb! But overkill for this poor soul!

After hearing Noesis 212's................I gave up on Plats and went with Erskine Group spec-ed Gold LCR's. Both you and Paul did a fine job trying to convince me.........but this old cogger listen's only at -8 on Marantz 8801. Plat's would have been overkill...............................

Gold LCR's handle reference quite well...........................but I have NO desire to listen at those levels for more than 20 minutes at a time. ;)
If the calculator says I would get 112 dB at my listening position, how much over reference level is that? And is that enough to handle peaks? I'm with you - I just can't listen to it cranked up like I used to or else my ears will ring for days and days afterward.

I didn't realize the Silver LCRs are available as in-wall. Can they be angled? I want to angle my surrounds back to the MLP.

What are you doing for Atmos speakers? Same issue there - I've read they should be angled to the MLP but not sure how to do that without using these rather large speakers sticking out from the ceiling!

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
The DDRC-88A has balanced and un-balanced connections. It will work with any prepro or AVR with preouts, either XLR or RCA. I have been using one for a while now and like it very much. Personally, I would use a prepro with XLR out, feeding the DDRC-88a and from the DDRC-88A to the amps, I would stay with XLR balanced connections. Little more trouble free, when it comes to ground loops. I would want to feed the Triad Golds, 200 watts or more of power. 12 gauge speaker wire is fine, unless you are going to have runs longer than around 55 feet.
Thanks Mike! What prepro would you recommend to go along with the Gold LCR and 88A? And any suggestions for amps? Thanks for the tip about staying with XLR.

I found the calculator interesting - going from 200 watts to 400 watts only raised the dB at the MLP by less than 5%.

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Problem grouping two DDRC-88A's together. I would place all lower level speakers on DDRC-88A and use the prepro to set levels and delay for the Atmos speakers. Then if at a later date a Dirac unit with more channels becomes available, you can upgrade if you think it is necessary. Since my system has 9 speakers and six subs in it, I have all of my subs on one channel of the DDRC-88a, but using a 10x10HD to set delay for each of the subs. One set of my Atmos speakers are not going through the DDRC-88A. Like I suggested, levels and delay for these two channels are done in my prepro.
6 subs - wow Mike. :) When using the 10x10HD to set delay - how are you determining what delays to set?

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
If the calculator says I would get 112 dB at my listening position, how much over reference level is that? And is that enough to handle peaks? I'm with you - I just can't listen to it cranked up like I used to or else my ears will ring for days and days afterward.

I didn't realize the Silver LCRs are available as in-wall. Can they be angled? I want to angle my surrounds back to the MLP.

What are you doing for Atmos speakers? Same issue there - I've read they should be angled to the MLP but not sure how to do that without using these rather large speakers sticking out from the ceiling!
That's the million dollar question.........."What do I plan to use for Atmos ceiling speakers?"

Lucky me, I have 10.5ft ceiling and rather than build coffer ceiling I built an Atmos ceiling cloud...a first on AVS Forum!

Pretty slick.......8-1/4" depth allows for versatility in choosing speakers. Still looking for wide dispersion monopoles and am leaning toward Tannoy Di6Dc's or hoping Triad comes up with something.

I'll select speakers when HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant prepro is available. Right now, eyeing Marantz 8802 when HDCP 2.2 is available.

·
Registered
28,794 Posts
I'm also looking for Triad surrounds to pair with the Gold LCRs. The Silver LCRs look great. However I'm concerned about the size. Since the room is fairly narrow I think the Silver LCRs may be too big for the walls - at least not without being in the way, such as when walking down the main aisle. What other on-wall speakers from Triad may be a good match that might be a little smaller? I would like to stay with on-wall (rather than in-wall) so they can be angled to the MLP.
Use an in-wall Silver on wall. You can make a column out of a little framing and fabric, to hide the speaker. With them in a column, you would be able to angle them if wanted.

·
Registered
28,794 Posts
Thanks Mike! What prepro would you recommend to go along with the Gold LCR and 88A? And any suggestions for amps? Thanks for the tip about staying with XLR.

I found the calculator interesting - going from 200 watts to 400 watts only raised the dB at the MLP by less than 5%.
I am using the Marantz 7702, but with the 8802 getting ready to start shipping, I would probably look at that unit. As for amps, will the amps be in the same room or in another room?

Added
The 8802's have shipped and are on their way to us. :)

·
Registered
28,794 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
What is this calculator? Once I sell my OnWall Silver Surrounds, I plan to invest the proceeds into something that will be optimized for my main seating location -- which I tentatively think could be in the in ceiling surrounds. But knowing more about Triad's own recommendations and things like this calculator would be useful.
Basically the calculator was made by Triad to calculate where exactly you need to place your height speakers (front and rear) from your main seat.

i think it is based on Dolby recommendation for Atmos height speakers, which are 30-50 degree for front & 125-150 for rear heights speakers (InCeiling)
I have been using it also for a few months. The first version had a few glitches but now it works properly. I know my front pair landed properly but I think the individual doing my acoustic plan is changing my rear pair landing. I'm using the incieling bronze lcr's btw with silver lcr's all around. I know a lot of people don't think the bronzes have enough dispersion but my room is only 5 seats and not very wide.

·
Registered
38 Posts
remove inwalls from wall?

Can anyone tell me how to temporarily pull out inwall silver surrounds so that I can check the installation and wiring? I have no idea how to even get the grille off.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to temporarily pull out inwall silver surrounds so that I can check the installation and wiring? I have no idea how to even get the grille off.
Pull grill off.............rubber seals pull out fairly easy.

Loosen screws that are used to tighten grill fame to wall attachment...............

Keep tension towards pulling speaker out as you don't want speaker to fall back into wall if grill frame becomes detached..............I tend to keep pressure on grill frame while loosening all four grill frame screws........pressure as in pulling out speaker.

Loosen toggle screws and slide to interior of speaker one at a time......................while still applying pressure to pull out..........

Once all toggles are inside cutout, pull out speaker.............easy as pie!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks, sounds easy enough. The grills are totally flush with the wall and seem to be in there pretty sung. Any suggestion how to get them off the wall without bending (or ripping off a finger nail)?

Pull grill off.............rubber seals pull out fairly easy.

Loosen screws that are used to tighten grill fame to wall attachment...............

Keep tension towards pulling speaker out as you don't want speaker to fall back into wall if grill frame becomes detached..............I tend to keep pressure on grill frame while loosening all four grill frame screws........pressure as in pulling out speaker.

Loosen toggle screws and slide to interior of speaker one at a time......................while still applying pressure to pull out..........

Once all toggles are inside cutout, pull out speaker.............easy as pie!

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Thanks, sounds easy enough. The grills are totally flush with the wall and seem to be in there pretty sung. Any suggestion how to get them off the wall without bending (or ripping off a finger nail)?
I just used a paper clip and tugged at the corner, then flathead screwdriver to detach gasket...................

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
My all(most) all Triad system is up and running and I LOVE it. Call me a fan!!

Very........very nice! Boy, those Plats look huge! Coming from Seaton Cat12's to Plat's says a lot about how your willing to squeeze a little more refinement.

BTW, aren't those ceiling speakers Tannoy Di6Dc's? Can you comment on integration with Tannoy's and rest of your system? Please be frank........I'm really focused on your response! ;)

·
Premium Member
10,653 Posts
Very........very nice! Boy, those Plats look huge! Coming from Seaton Cat12's to Plat's says a lot about how your willing to squeeze a little more refinement.

BTW, aren't those ceiling speakers Tannoy Di6Dc's? Can you comment on integration with Tannoy's and rest of your system? Please be frank........I'm really focused on your response! ;)
They are Tannoys. The only thing I don't liek about them is the physical look/size. I would have preferred something that was smaller and could be hidden behind some fabric panel (and that don't cost $2000 each like my InRoom Silver surrounds!!!).

Acoustically, they are great. Very wide dispersion, which is key. And with room correction (Audyssey or Dirac or ...) any serious sonic differences from the Triads (Or Seatons before that) are minimized. It is important to remember that for the most part, these are effect speakers and, at least so far, don't carry much information.

The short answer to your question is, to my ears they work fine - and when the lights are off, I can't see them. If you could find out what wide dispersion speakers our friends at Triad are working on that could have a much smaller form factor, and they were going to release it quickly, it might be worth the wait.

·
Premium Member
12,381 Posts
They are Tannoys. The only thing I don't liek about them is the physical look/size. I would have preferred something that was smaller and could be hidden behind some fabric panel (and that don't cost $2000 each like my InRoom Silver surrounds!!!).

Acoustically, they are great. Very wide dispersion, which is key. And with room correction (Audyssey or Dirac or ...) any serious sonic differences from the Triads (Or Seatons before that) are minimized. It is important to remember that for the most part, these are effect speakers and, at least so far, don't carry much information.

The short answer to your question is, to my ears they work fine - and when the lights are off, I can't see them. If you could find out what wide dispersion speakers our friends at Triad are working on that could have a much smaller form factor, and they were going to release it quickly, it might be worth the wait.
First, your new speakers look AWESOME! Well, done!

Second, I'm surprised no one is using Triad in-ceiling sealed rounds for their Atmos overheads. The speakers have wide dispersion and the tweeters are aimable:

The dual-tweeter version can be used as a bipole:

Why would these not work?

Craig

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

Thanks.........................great help!

One more thing...........if you ever get the time, can you measure the distance from ceiling to the very bottom of speaker? No hurry.............I won't begin installing speakers until I have a prepro purchased that is HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant....................hoping this Summer with Marantz 8802 shipments. If I could only see the future..........was hoping 6 Atmos ceiling speakers would be possible...............

My ceiling cloud is 8-1/4" in depth...................if only Triad would hear the calls from the "weeds" and develop a wide dispersion speaker similar to Tannoy characteristics! One could only HOPE!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,653 Posts
Second, I'm surprised no one is using Triad in-ceiling sealed rounds for their Atmos overheads. The speakers have wide dispersion and the tweeters are aimable:

Why would these not work?

Craig
Those are the exact speakers I wanted to use. If I recall correctly, I asked someone at Triad about this and they didn't seem to think they would be a good solution and were trying to push me in another direction - with what I perceived to not be a good solution.

·
Premium Member
12,381 Posts
Those are the exact speakers I wanted to use. If I recall correctly, I asked someone at Triad about this and they didn't seem to think they would be a good solution and were trying to push me in another direction - with what I perceived to not be a good solution.
What rationale did they use to say they wouldn't be a good solution? I would think the dual-tweeter version, setup in bipole mode, would have wide dispersion and the ability to cover multiple rows. Were they concerned about output, and an inability to keep up with the Plat's?

What other direction did they push you in... the in-ceiling Silver Monitors with the slanted baffle?

6921 - 6940 of 10573 Posts