AVS Forum banner

6941 - 6960 of 10573 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,653 Posts
What rationale did they use to say they wouldn't be a good solution? I would think the dual-tweeter version, setup in bipole mode, would have wide dispersion and the ability to cover multiple rows. Were they concerned about output, and an inability to keep up with the Plat's?

What other direction did they push you in... the in-ceiling Silver Monitors with the slanted baffle?
I don't recall the rationale they gave but he was pretty firm about it. Nor do I recall which other speaker they recommended. But I wasn't interested. I may go back to them (and maybe you can as well) and ask again why your recommended speaker is not a great solution. I would be much more it for it's ability to blend into the room versus those monsters I am using.

·
Premium Member
10,653 Posts
One more thing...........if you ever get the time, can you measure the distance from ceiling to the very bottom of speaker? No hurry.............I won't begin installing speakers until I have a prepro purchased that is HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant....................hoping this Summer with Marantz 8802 shipments. If I could only see the future..........was hoping 6 Atmos ceiling speakers would be possible...............

My ceiling cloud is 8-1/4" in depth...................if only Triad would hear the calls from the "weeds" and develop a wide dispersion speaker similar to Tannoy characteristics! One could only HOPE!!!!!!
The distance from the ceiling to the lowest point on the speaker is between 10.5 and 11 inches - depending on the tilt!! So I don't see these being able to be tucked into your cloud.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
The distance from the ceiling to the lowest point on the speaker is between 10.5 and 11 inches - depending on the tilt!! So I don't see these being able to be tucked into your cloud.
Thanks......................

Roger is using same speaker...................... Di6Dc's FR down past 80 Hz. Di5Dc's only go down to 90 Hz. Dang........................

·
Premium Member
10,653 Posts
Thanks......................

Roger is using same speaker...................... Di6Dc's FR down past 80 Hz. Di5Dc's only go down to 90 Hz. Dang........................
I cross everything but the center channel at 100 plus anyway.

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
It is based on distance. A poster did a nice write up on how to set delay for multiple subs when using MiniDSP 2x4. Same thing would apply if using one of the other MiniDSP boxes like the 10x10HD. Here is the info. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78476446/MiniDSP%204x2%20Set-Up%20Guide.pdf
Thanks Mike.

Is the MiniDSP essentially a modern-day replacement for the Berringer Frequency Destroyer (BFD)?

Why do you need (or like) the 10x10HD over the 2x4?

Is this still needed when using an 88A with Dirac Live? I suppose so, and that's because the 88A does not handle timing adjustment but the 2x4/10x10HD does?

Thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Which Bronze Subwoofer - aluminum vs paper; volume - big box vs small box?

I'm going to put 2 Bronze subwoofers in a media cabinet, powered by a single Rack 350 (w/ the subs converted to 8 ohms). It appears that the price is the same for ALL the Bronze subwoofers -- and all will fit in my cabinet.

So, do I go for the SlimSub (onwall/inwall) that uses the aluminum cone with a 13.5"x19" x 3 15/16" deep box - or the InCeiling that uses a paper cone at 13.5"x13.5"x9". Aluminum cones are arguably "faster" and bigger boxes arguably give more output with everything else being equal (and the box size difference is pretty big - 1026 vs 1640)

My key considerations are sound quality and overall system volume - I'll be using it in a 5.2 with Triad Omni Silver SE and will want to play both music and movies loudly in my 19 x 15 x 8.5 room.

Thanks

·
Registered
572 Posts
Having installed and seen both first hand, I would go with the slim sub. It is a newer design and driver. We have the InCeiling version installed at the showroom and it is a much larger box. Both will yield the same SQ.

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Tomorrow I will have a chance to hear the Triad Silver LCRs. I have not heard the Gold LCRs yet, which are the model I am mainly interested in. Is there any noticeable different in sound quality or "tone" between the Silver and Gold, or is it mostly just that the Gold can play cleaner and louder? If I really like the Silvers does that mean I'd definitely like the Golds just as much if not better?

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Tomorrow I will have a chance to hear the Triad Silver LCRs. I have not heard the Gold LCRs yet, which are the model I am mainly interested in. Is there any noticeable different in sound quality or "tone" between the Silver and Gold, or is it mostly just that the Gold can play cleaner and louder? If I really like the Silvers does that mean I'd definitely like the Golds just as much if not better?
Gold LCR's are completely different animal compared to Silver LCR's. Golds are 3-way design and have a better mid range than Silvers which are a two way design. As far as blending, signature sound of both speakers have patent Triad sound signature which says a lot about speaker designer.

Yes, Gold's will play louder and cleaner as they should.......at more than 2.5 times cost. Integration of my Golds and Silver are fine..........Golds throw sound over longer distances so SPL issues are moot. If you are happy with Silver sound, you need to calculate distances to see if Golds are warranted.

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Gold LCR's are completely different animal compared to Silver LCR's. Golds are 3-way design and have a better mid range than Silvers which are a two way design.
Ultimately what does that mean in terms of sound quality or tonal differences, if any?

As far as blending, signature sound of both speakers have patent Triad sound signature which says a lot about speaker designer.
Does that mean they will sound the same?

Yes, Gold's will play louder and cleaner as they should.......at more than 2.5 times cost. Integration of my Golds and Silver are fine..........Golds throw sound over longer distances so SPL issues are moot. If you are happy with Silver sound, you need to calculate distances to see if Golds are warranted.
Well, let's say I am happy with the Silvers and they do meet my distances. Is it still possible I would be even happier with the Golds, price aside?

As far as distances go - from my MLP in the front row I the LCRs will be 12' 9" away, and from the 2nd row they will be about 19' 5" away. There will be some casual seating at a bar behind the 2nd row which would be about 23' away, but I'm not really concerned about sound back there. Are these distances good enough for the Silvers? I plan to feed them with 200 amps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Ultimately what does that mean in terms of sound quality or tonal differences, if any?

Does that mean they will sound the same?

Well, let's say I am happy with the Silvers and they do meet my distances. Is it still possible I would be even happier with the Golds, price aside?

As far as distances go - from my MLP in the front row I the LCRs will be 12' 9" away, and from the 2nd row they will be about 19' 5" away. There will be some casual seating at a bar behind the 2nd row which would be about 23' away, but I'm not really concerned about sound back there. Are these distances good enough for the Silvers? I plan to feed them with 200 amps.

Thanks!
For two rows......you are much better off with Golds..........

I'm not a theater designer so if I were you, I'd somehow contact one......

On Triad signature sound.........yes, Golds and Silvers sound very similar with Golds having more oomph from 80Hz to 400-500 Hz.

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
For two rows......you are much better off with Golds..........
Great, thanks.

I'm not a theater designer so if I were you, I'd somehow contact one......
You're quite humble Cory. Judging from your fantastic theater and build thread I'd say you may be far more experienced than many theater designers. :) . Indeed I will be working with one, however its always best to hear from those "in the field" who have been there, done that.

On Triad signature sound.........yes, Golds and Silvers sound very similar with Golds having more oomph from 80Hz to 400-500 Hz.
Great that's what I was trying to assess, because I may not be able to hear the Gold's prior to making a purchase decision.

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Someone is recommending that in addition to 2 subwoofers in the dedicated 18' x 28' x 7.75' room I am building that I also install 4 Triad Bronze /4 Slim Subwoofers with a DSP 600 AMP. I'm a little confused as to why those would be necessary. Its a dedicated room and I would think we could just add additional subwoofers beyond the planned 2 if we needed more headroom. Are there certain conditions under which it can make sense to combine /4 Slim Subs in a dedicated room like that where real (i.e. full size) sub placement is not an issue?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Sounds a bit odd to me.

Normally, when budget allows, we like to spec 4 subs -- one in each corner. When we do this the subs are all the same. If budget isn't an issue, I would go with 4 Silver subs in your room. If you do, it will rock!

·
Premium Member
12,381 Posts
Someone is recommending that in addition to 2 subwoofers in the dedicated 18' x 28' x 7.75' room I am building that I also install 4 Triad Bronze /4 Slim Subwoofers with a DSP 600 AMP. I'm a little confused as to why those would be necessary. Its a dedicated room and I would think we could just add additional subwoofers beyond the planned 2 if we needed more headroom. Are there certain conditions under which it can make sense to combine /4 Slim Subs in a dedicated room like that where real (i.e. full size) sub placement is not an issue?
I would imagine the intent of the extra, smaller subs is not more output or headroom. The intent would be to help smooth the response over more seats. Earl Geddes is a proponent of that technique, and it can work very well: https://mehlau.net/audio/multisub_geddes/

OTOH, the Bronze/Slim subs would have less extension than the Silver subs. As long as you can use EQ to ensure they don't hold back the extension of the Silver subs, it will work just fine. Nonetheless, I personally agree with Dawn that you would be better off with 4 Silver subs, either placed a the 4 mid-wall points or in the 4 corners. You'll have all the output you could want plus you'll get more than enough smoothing over the seating area. This paper by Welti/Toole describes the philosophy: http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/Innovation/Documents/White%20Papers/multsubs.pdf

Bottom line, you're goal is to provide similar response to as many seats as possible. Once all the seats "see" the same response, EQ can be used to flatten that response for ALL seats.

Good luck.

Craig

Edit: I agree with DW that you would be much better off with Gold LCR's in your room with 2 rows of seats. You'll need to pick which row/seat will be the "sweet spot" and set your levels and distances for that spot. If that is the 2nd row, middle seat, you absolutely want Gold LCR's.

6941 - 6960 of 10573 Posts