AVS Forum banner

9361 - 9380 of 10558 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you're not going for higher SPL then you should consider the Silver Monitors or one of the MiniMonitors, which will save you a decent chunk of $$.

The Silver Monitors are the same as the Gold Monitors but with 5.25" woofers instead of 6.25" woofers, so it's basically a slightly smaller version. You give up some power handling / maximum output but it sounds like you're not cranking it anyway. The MiniMonitors are the same in terms of woofer size (5.25" for Silver and 6.25" for Gold) but use one woofer instead of dual, so you give up a decent amount of sensitivity -- again not a huge issue if you don't play loud.

Just seems to make more sense for a "quality over quantity" approach. The maxed out Gold Monitor seems like overkill if you're not listening loud.
Hi batpig...thanks for advice. I've had that thought before myself. While I have heard the Gold LCRs and can used them as a reference, I haven't heard either the Silver Monitors or Gold Monitors. In fact, one set of my questions I had for the Control4 dealer was what was the sound quality of the Silver Monitors and Gold Monitors/Mini-Monitors as compared to the Gold LCRs. He didn't know. I will take as stated by many that the Gold Monitors are better soundwise at lower SPLs. However, I would still loved to know if the SQ of the Silver Monitors and/or Gold Mini-Monitors are as compared to the Gold LCRs at 65-70 dBs (assuming I cross over at 100 Hz or so to the subs).

Does anyone have a good handle on that?

Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
While I chose to go with the Gold LCR's for my fronts (as an aside - I think they sound great for music using audiophile recordings), as others have said if nth degree music fidelity is more important to you than clean, bombastic volume and slam for movies then I would add my support for the Gold Monitors.

I had an issue finding a solid AV integrator in my area and so instead went with Dawn as my dealer since she's been a staple of this thread and a great contributor to these discussions.

I had one small issue of a speaker that needed replacing due to a bit of shipping damage and she took care of me quickly and professionally as a go between with Triad in getting a new one made and out the door immediately. She also was more than willing to assist me with my ultimate purchase.

I can't recommend her enough if you're still looking for a reliable source. Two thumbs up. 😄
Hi Dan...thanks a bunch!:)

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
If you're not going for higher SPL then you should consider the Silver Monitors or one of the MiniMonitors, which will save you a decent chunk of $$.

The Silver Monitors are the same as the Gold Monitors but with 5.25" woofers instead of 6.25" woofers, so it's basically a slightly smaller version. You give up some power handling / maximum output but it sounds like you're not cranking it anyway. The MiniMonitors are the same in terms of woofer size (5.25" for Silver and 6.25" for Gold) but use one woofer instead of dual, so you give up a decent amount of sensitivity -- again not a huge issue if you don't play loud.

Just seems to make more sense for a "quality over quantity" approach. The maxed out Gold Monitor seems like overkill if you're not listening loud.
Hi batpig...thanks for advice. I've had that thought before myself. While I have heard the Gold LCRs and can used them as a reference, I haven't heard either the Silver Monitors or Gold Monitors. In fact, one set of my questions I had for the Control4 dealer was what was the sound quality of the Silver Monitors and Gold Monitors/Mini-Monitors as compared to the Gold LCRs. He didn't know. I will take as stated by many that the Gold Monitors are better soundwise at lower SPLs. However, I would still loved to know if the SQ of the Silver Monitors and/or Gold Mini-Monitors are as compared to the Gold LCRs at 65-70 dBs (assuming I cross over at 100 Hz or so to the subs).

Does anyone have a good handle on that?

Thanks.
Given your room size, I would still consider Gold Monitors if you are looking for a little bit of extra volume authority when called for, but not LCR style SPL's and utimate audio fidelity.

I would rather know I have some extra headroom to spare than underestimating your needs or wants.

Certainly, I don't need the Gold LCR's and their punch right this moment, but I do see me needing them in the near future.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In Ceiling Music Speakers

So now that I'm making progress figuring out the 5.x system I need to think about the rest of the rooms.

I'm gong to mount 2 ceiling speakers in the kitchen and it'll solely be used for music and occasionally TV (sports and silly TV shows). Thoughts there?

I'll also be mounting speakers in the bedrooms, those are solely for music. None of this is a hardcore music room, mostly just for fun listening. Recommendations?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also, I saw some recommendations for ATI amps, what else do y'all use for powering Silver Monitors? How much power should I expect to need?

I'm currently amp-less but it sounds like a fun thing to spend some money on.

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
Also, I saw some recommendations for ATI amps, what else do y'all use for powering Silver Monitors? How much power should I expect to need?

I'm currently amp-less but it sounds like a fun thing to spend some money on.
Parasound Halo, Outlaw Audio, Monoprice Monolith, Anthem... and other brands like that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Last post got drowned out over the amp. Repost:

So now that I'm making progress figuring out the 5.x system I need to think about the rest of the rooms.

I'm gong to mount 2 ceiling speakers in the kitchen and it'll solely be used for music and occasionally TV (sports and silly TV shows). Thoughts there?

I'll also be mounting speakers in the bedrooms, those are solely for music. None of this is a hardcore music room, mostly just for fun listening. Recommendations?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
Last post got drowned out over the amp. Repost:

Thanks again!
Like everything else, we need to know room dimensions, layout, obstructions, etc. since there are a variety of speaker choices.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Like everything else, we need to know room dimensions, layout, obstructions, etc. since there are a variety of speaker choices.
Fair enough.
These are small rooms in a 1-story house. Don't really have obstructions aside from ceiling fans. But everything will have to go in the ceilings, there is 0 chance I can put speakers in the walls.

The kitchen is 19x13 and is part of a great room w/ the family room where I plan on putting Silver Monitors and Silver Surrounds/Rounds (TBD). Ceilings are vaulted from 8-14ft. Total area of great room is 19x30.

First bedroom is about 13'x12'x8'
Second kids room is about 21x12x8' (it's a bit weird of a room).
Master is 13x13. Vaulted ceilings from 8-14'.
Dining is 25x13x8

The bathrooms are small. Might have to do a stereo single speaker in each of them. Floor plan is attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Before we suggest anything we need to know the room dimensions (WDH)???
Hi Dawn,

Just checking if you had time to review the plan and consider the options. The room is planned for 19'w x 15'd x 8'h and will be sealed.

I re-attached the draft plan below for convenience purposes.

If you will recall, Batpig had suggested I also consider Silver Monitors, Mini-Monitors and Gold Mini-Monitors, in addition to Gold Monitors, since my wife and I prefer to have high SQ in the 60-70 dB range. I thought that was a good idea, but I have only heard the Gold LCRs before and needed some type of SQ comparison of the other speakers to the Gold LCRs. Dan later suggested going with the Gold Monitors as good insurance because it's tough to go back and swap out speakers at a later date if I realized later that I wanted something more.

From a purely technical aspect - and based on some recent on-line research I did - as best as I can tell it looks like...

1. Gold LCR, Gold Mini-Monitor, Silver Monitor and Silver Mini-Monitor (and Platinum LCR) all share the same tweeter: 1" Seas.

2. Gold Monitor tweeter: 1" Scan-Speak.

3. Silver Monitor/Mini-Monitor (and Platinum LCR mid) share the same mid/woofer: 5.25" Scan-Speak Revelator.

4. Gold Monitor/Mini-Monitor share the same mid/woofer: 6.5" Scan-Speak Revelator.

5. Gold LCR mid: unknown to me (e.g., high quality paper/fiber blend, but probably NOT a Scan-Speak Revelator - not at the price being charged for the Gold LCR).

I was planning on sending you a PM on a related issue. Would it be better to cover some aspects of this discussion then?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rackamp 350 DSP high-pass

Hi--I've recently acquired a Rackamp 350 and am awaiting arrival of two in-room Bronze slim-subs to pair with it, and I'm wondering about using the high-pass function in the Rackamp to feed two bookshelf speakers. The bookshelf speakers are powered by a Peachtree Nova, so I'm wondering if anything is lost signal-wise by going this route, and also wondering if it's even necessary at all. I'm just thinking that at higher volumes it would go easier on the bookshelf speakers and avoid potential distortion issues, but my first priority is getting the best signal possible to the Nova. I'm new to Triad and understand they make amazing stuff, but I'd appreciate more input from those who know more than I about this. I tried to PM Paul Scarpelli about this but I just registered and I can't PM until I post more...

Anyway, if anyone has any input it would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Hi Dawn,

Just checking if you had time to review the plan and consider the options. The room is planned for 19'w x 15'd x 8'h and will be sealed.

I re-attached the draft plan below for convenience purposes.

If you will recall, Batpig had suggested I also consider Silver Monitors, Mini-Monitors and Gold Mini-Monitors, in addition to Gold Monitors, since my wife and I prefer to have high SQ in the 60-70 dB range. I thought that was a good idea, but I have only heard the Gold LCRs before and needed some type of SQ comparison of the other speakers to the Gold LCRs. Dan later suggested going with the Gold Monitors as good insurance because it's tough to go back and swap out speakers at a later date if I realized later that I wanted something more.

From a purely technical aspect - and based on some recent on-line research I did - as best as I can tell it looks like...

1. Gold LCR, Gold Mini-Monitor, Silver Monitor and Silver Mini-Monitor (and Platinum LCR) all share the same tweeter: 1" Seas.

2. Gold Monitor tweeter: 1" Scan-Speak.

3. Silver Monitor/Mini-Monitor (and Platinum LCR mid) share the same mid/woofer: 5.25" Scan-Speak Revelator.

4. Gold Monitor/Mini-Monitor share the same mid/woofer: 6.5" Scan-Speak Revelator.

5. Gold LCR mid: unknown to me (e.g., high quality paper/fiber blend, but probably NOT a Scan-Speak Revelator - not at the price being charged for the Gold LCR).

I was planning on sending you a PM on a related issue. Would it be better to cover some aspects of this discussion then?

Thanks!
The best way to contact me is via email.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Hi--I've recently acquired a Rackamp 350 and am awaiting arrival of two in-room Bronze slim-subs to pair with it, and I'm wondering about using the high-pass function in the Rackamp to feed two bookshelf speakers. The bookshelf speakers are powered by a Peachtree Nova, so I'm wondering if anything is lost signal-wise by going this route, and also wondering if it's even necessary at all. I'm just thinking that at higher volumes it would go easier on the bookshelf speakers and avoid potential distortion issues, but my first priority is getting the best signal possible to the Nova. I'm new to Triad and understand they make amazing stuff, but I'd appreciate more input from those who know more than I about this. I tried to PM Paul Scarpelli about this but I just registered and I can't PM until I post more...

Anyway, if anyone has any input it would be appreciated!
Hi Leif and welcome to the Triad thread.

I've unofficially tried to take Paul's place here in the Triad Owner's forum, although no one can truly take Paul's place :) He can sometimes be found at Audioholics, but he hasn't posted there in quite some time. He's deservedly enjoying his retirement.

Anyway, please make sure that the SlimSubs you bought are 8 ohm if you wish to power both of them from a single amp. If they are 4 ohm it won't work. I would use a normal amp or AVR for your mains.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Leif and welcome to the Triad thread.

I've unofficially tried to take Paul's place here in the Triad Owner's forum, although no one can truly take Paul's place :) He can sometimes be found at Audioholics, but he hasn't posted there in quite some time. He's deservedly enjoying his retirement.

Anyway, please make sure that the SlimSubs you bought are 8 ohm if you wish to power both of them from a single amp. If they are 4 ohm it won't work. I would use a normal amp or AVR for your mains.

They are 8 ohms. This is for a 2.1 setup just for music, so no AVR needed. The AV room (when I get to it--building a house) will be a whole different ball of wax. I do not intend to use the Rackamp for amplifying the mains, just for the high-pass function to send a modified signal to the Nova through the RCA outputs. Would you prefer I just email you instead Dawn?

·
Registered
5 Posts
To be honest, I've never used the high-pass function to do as you described. Has anyone else here done this? If not, I can contact Triad on your behalf to see what they recommend.
Yes, it seems like not many have even tried out this interesting function, and I'm wondering what the results would be. I could experiment myself, but I'd rather not re-invent the wheel if possible. If you don't mind inquiring with Triad on my behalf, I'd appreciate it.

9361 - 9380 of 10558 Posts