AVS Forum banner

10401 - 10420 of 10567 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi Dawn,

This is "good" news... really "good" news! However, "great" news would be Triad adding all the anechoic measurement data they certainly have stored away in their vaults. I will be sending them another e-mail requesting this.

Just as background to this: I have had someone on the forum tell me Triad is "hiding" their measurements. I had someone suggest I send my speakers to SoundStage* to have them measured. I had someone else tell me to inquire if Harman would be willing to foot the bill for shipping in order to get them measured. There is absolutely NO REASON I, or anyone else, should need to go to these lengths to get these data! Triad has anechoic chambers. There is no doubt they've used them for speaker design and improvement. They already have the information! Why not SHARE it???

*https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/test_loudspeakers.htm
yeah it really holds me back for buying or recommending them to friends especially since we don't have a dealer nearby and if we took the leap of faith and didn't end up liking them, well we are ****ed we can't even return them with a fee. even third party measurements aren't available.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
yeah it really holds me back for buying or recommending them to friends especially since we don't have a dealer nearby and if we took the leap of faith and didn't end up liking them, well we are ****ed we can't even return them with a fee. even third party measurements aren't available.
Please understand that Triad is very different from practically all other speaker manufacturers. 90% of Triad's line is built-to-order in Portland, Oregon. This means that each of these speakers is a custom product, as color, and size can be tailored to a client's individual specifications. That's the reason that you cannot return Triads. In my 15 years as a Triad dealer, I have never had anyone not like/love their Triad speakers.

Now speaker measurements are another story. I agree that these should be published. I have asked Triad about this on numerous occasions.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Please understand that Triad is very different from practically all other speaker manufacturers. 90% of Triad's line is built-to-order in Portland, Oregon. This means that each of these speakers is a custom product, as color, and size can be tailored to a client's individual specifications. That's the reason that you cannot return Triads. In my 15 years as a Triad dealer, I have never had anyone not like/love their Triad speakers.
While I have one local dealer, he has no Triads for demo. Can't really find many Triad reviews online. I based my decision mostly on this thread. In theory, these 11 Silver in wall/ceiling speakers seemed like the best option for my new construction, dedicated, 4800 cu ft theater. I made a blind buy and couldn't be happier with the result. I was unable to demo any of the equipment I bought.

Did all the AV design & install myself. You can see in my signature the rest of the equipment. It seems to all work perfectly together. All the AV equipment, not including chairs, etc., ran about $21k. Sounds great at way above reference levels and the Monoprice amp never breaks a sweat. Can't run that test too long without ear damage. My wife didn't care about the the HT---if I wanted my dream in the newly built house---fine. While watching the first movie (San Andreas), she was cowering in her seat, speechless. Now, she's a believer. She's also a classically trained singer and pianist. She thinks the music sounds fine. Yep---it's a leap of faith---worked out for me.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Now speaker measurements are another story. I agree that these should be published. I have asked Triad about this on numerous occasions.
I really don't get why Triad won't publish speaker specs they may already have. And given the inability to hear them in a Brick and Mortar store (but good luck with the few you might find who have no clue on how to set them up), I can see why it may be even more important.

That said, show me where I can find the specs that people seem to want from Triad from all of the other speaker options. Radiation Patterns? Good luck with that. And the kind of people who can accurately interpret the specs I would want (impulse response, step response, frequency response, phase response, polar response/off axis response etc) are few and far between. Again, I get why they might be desirable from Triad but if we don't, they ave a LOT of company!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thing I wish Triad do for the trinnov owner to made an PEQ can used in trinnov smeller to wisdom,JBL and procella that will be great edition also as they already corporate with trinnov in last CEDIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
I really don't get why Triad won't publish speaker specs they may already have. And given the inability to hear them in a Brick and Mortar store (but good luck with the few you might find who have no clue on how to set them up), I can see why it may be even more important.

That said, show me where I can find the specs that people seem to want from Triad from all of the other speaker options. Radiation Patterns? Good luck with that. And the kind of people who can accurately interpret the specs I would want (impulse response, step response, frequency response, phase response, polar response/off axis response etc) are few and far between. Again, I get why they might be desirable from Triad but if we don't, they ave a LOT of company!!

It's not like Triad makes bad speakers, they are not at all; quite the opposite! They are excellent performers and Dolby Labs and DTS have even used them in public demos before! Triad should be proud to release most or all of the same measurement information other speaker manufacturers do.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Thing I wish Triad do for the trinnov owner to made an PEQ can used in trinnov smeller to wisdom,JBL and procella that will be great edition also as they already corporate with trinnov in last CEDIA

Different animals. The PEQs for Wisdoms are to provide pseudo anechoic response prior them being put into a room, I assume JBL is the same. Having calibrated numerous Triad speakertheaters, the way to use PEQs (with the Trinnov or other processors that provide that ability) is to use them to correct in-room response prior to running Optimizer or Dirac or ...... Having also calibrated multiple Wisdom rooms, even using the provided PEQs still dictates that additional PEQs are necessary to address in-room response.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Different animals. The PEQs for Wisdoms are to provide pseudo anechoic response prior them being put into a room, I assume JBL is the same. Having calibrated numerous Triad speakertheaters, the way to use PEQs (with the Trinnov or other processors that provide that ability) is to use them to correct in-room response prior to running Optimizer or Dirac or ...... Having also calibrated multiple Wisdom rooms, even using the provided PEQs still dictates that additional PEQs are necessary to address in-room response.

Very clear as they said not every thing u demand u can get it

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
It's not like Triad makes bad speakers, they are not at all; quite the opposite! They are excellent performers and Dolby Labs and DTS have even used them in public demos before! Triad should be proud to release most or all of the same measurement information other speaker manufacturers do.
Triad is also a prototype partner with Dolby, helping them test their electronic designs.

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
Triad is also a prototype partner with Dolby, helping them test their electronic designs.
Yup. Steve mentioned that to me at a prior CEDIA Expo. All the more reason not to seem so secretive.

·
Registered
30,002 Posts
With respect, I know it's frustrating to be an enthusiast and not see all the data you want.... but remember that Triad is trusted by nearly every top custom installer in the world. Not just average joe local installers, but the famous guys like Dennis Erskine, Anthony Grimani, Shawn Byrne who are building world-class theaters that win CEDIA awards. And, also, not only are these big names, they are also HT acoustics experts and thought leaders who don't just slap a product into a room and call it a day, these are the guys doing custom acoustic designs by making calculations based on what they know about speaker directivity / off-axis response. They would NOT use Triad speakers if they didn't have great measurements, i.e. consistent, predictable performance with low distortion and excellent off-axis response.

And Dolby trusts them to test and develop new technology, they used Triad speakers to demo Atmos when it first came out in 2014 and last CEDIA they chose Triad for their super high channel count Trinnov demo room which won awards.

My feeling is that is that if ALL of these top pros trust Triad in their flagship theater designs, what possible reason is there for you or me, amateur HT guy, to doubt that they are high performing products? What are you or me going to figure out looking at some spinoramas or polar plots that Dennis Erskine or Anthony Grimani didn't?

At a certain point, it's safe to accept even without a personal audition that Triads are superb performing, robust and reliable designs that do what they claim to.

I started collecting used Triad, "sight unheard", simply because of this reputation they've established. I have never heard anyone who owns them be displeased with their performance. Zero regrets. Sometimes people overthink this stuff.

·
Registered
122 Posts
With respect, I know it's frustrating to be an enthusiast and not see all the data you want.... but remember that Triad is trusted by nearly every top custom installer in the world. Not just average joe local installers, but the famous guys like Dennis Erskine, Anthony Grimani, Shawn Byrne who are building world-class theaters that win CEDIA awards. And, also, not only are these big names, they are also HT acoustics experts and thought leaders who don't just slap a product into a room and call it a day, these are the guys doing custom acoustic designs by making calculations based on what they know about speaker directivity / off-axis response. They would NOT use Triad speakers if they didn't have great measurements, i.e. consistent, predictable performance with low distortion and excellent off-axis response.

And Dolby trusts them to test and develop new technology, they used Triad speakers to demo Atmos when it first came out in 2014 and last CEDIA they chose Triad for their super high channel count Trinnov demo room which won awards.

My feeling is that is that if ALL of these top pros trust Triad in their flagship theater designs, what possible reason is there for you or me, amateur HT guy, to doubt that they are high performing products? What are you or me going to figure out looking at some spinoramas or polar plots that Dennis Erskine or Anthony Grimani didn't?

At a certain point, it's safe to accept even without a personal audition that Triads are superb performing, robust and reliable designs that do what they claim to.

I started collecting used Triad, "sight unheard", simply because of this reputation they've established. I have never heard anyone who owns them be displeased with their performance. Zero regrets. Sometimes people overthink this stuff.

You make good points but still nothing beats seeing the data yourself and being able to compare them with other speakers like how much better is the bronze vs xxx speaker? How much better is gold LCR vs sliver LCR? They are probably better but by how much and is it worth the price deference? I can’t know for my self, all I can see is subjective talk which is good but not as good as objective measurements.

Maybe I should just get them used and if I didn’t like them i would just sell them for the same price.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I have never heard anyone who owns them be displeased with their performance. Zero regrets. Sometimes people overthink this stuff.
I actually had Chris Seymour in my room shortly before the lockdown. He’s spent plenty of time watching content in there, but I had just swapped out for the Triads. His quote while sitting down “I’ve never heard a Triad I didn’t like”.

It’s true.

I don’t watch pixels. I watch movies. I don’t listen to bits and specs, I listen to music and movies.

If Triad released the specs you’re asking for and they were subpar, abnormal, or not what you’re expecting to see, would it change the fact that the speakers themselves just flat out sound amazing?

·
26,161 Posts

Well stated.

I spoke at length with Shawn Byrne of Quest Acoustics about speakers for my home. Shawn produced a design for the next phase in my HT (doing DIY for phase 1-long story involving basement water issues ;) ) I've also hired him to do the eventual calibration. I was buying the equipment on my own. Shawn wasn't benefiting from any speaker purchases.

Shawn obviously designs home systems that are much higher end than I would want to invest in and he's been doing it for decades. Shawn's is a fan of Triad speakers. He had other alternatives, but Triad's price and performance were his first choice for my set up. Let's face it, when you recommend a product, you are putting your reputation on the line as well. You don't get Shawn's reputation by recommending average sounding products. I couldn't be happier with my purchase (and Shawn's guidance).

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts

batpig,

I 100% totally enjoyed your post above ^^^

I have nothing to add that would be anymore useful than what you have said and pointed-out other than my comments below buddy !!!

If I didn't trust Triad I sure wouldn't have gone in the direction I did see below Links to Multiple Posts as some examples.

Thanks for your Post ...........

If you want to see why I made the Final-Decision to go with Triad check-out the posts below and the on-going, never-ending "Support" from Steve Colburn, Jim Laughlin as well as my guy Charles owner of "Wolf-Hill-Technologies" in Nashville, TN.

I will be 75-years old June 7th and when I say I have been around the block that's an understatement for sure.
And I have dealt with literally thousands of companies over those years.
That includes the Owners, and those those Executives as well as Managers under the owners.
(And I have been "SCREWED" by the best guys so I have Paid for my knowledge in spades)

I have never-ever had the Support that has come from Triad ever !!!

I have thought to post something like this before on this Dedicated Triad Thread but then gave it further consideration/thought and decided not to waste the Time & Effort.

Seems to me that even though this is AVS and some members do have the higher-end gear but when it comes to Triad ..........
Let me say I have had so many {Truly-Negative-Comments/Posts} it actually has SHOCKED me !!!
I would have actually thought guys would have jumped on board with me and said something positive about me going with Triad and putting my TRUST in Steve Colburn, Jim Laughlin and of course Charles that we have 10-15 years History with one another.

That has not been the case UN-Fortunately !!!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/2995466-tigerhonaker-s-home-theater-phase-1of-being-up-dated-august-2018-a-15.html#post59114246

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/2995466-tigerhonaker-s-home-theater-phase-1of-being-up-dated-august-2018-a-18.html#post59352882

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/2995466-tigerhonaker-s-home-theater-phase-1of-being-up-dated-august-2018-a-16.html#post59277546

To see the Comments from Steve Colburn & Charles Dyck roll the post down.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/2995466-tigerhonaker-s-home-theater-phase-1of-being-up-dated-august-2018-a-16.html#post59305554

Thanks again for your post Sir,
Terry Honaker

·
Registered
33 Posts

batpig,

I 100% totally enjoyed your post above ^^^

I have nothing to add that would be anymore useful than what you have said and pointed-out other than my comments below buddy !!!

If I didn't trust Triad I sure wouldn't have gone in the direction I did see below Links to Multiple Posts as some examples.

Thanks for your Post ...........

If you want to see why I made the Final-Decision to go with Triad check-out the posts below and the on-going, never-ending "Support" from Steve Colburn, Jim Laughlin as well as my guy Charles owner of "Wolf-Hill-Technologies" in Nashville, TN.

I will be 75-years old June 7th and when I say I have been around the block that's an understatement for sure.
And I have dealt with literally thousands of companies over those years.
That includes the Owners, and those those Executives as well as Managers under the owners.
(And I have been "SCREWED" by the best guys so I have Paid for my knowledge in spades)

I have never-ever had the Support that has come from Triad ever !!!

I have thought to post something like this before on this Dedicated Triad Thread but then gave it further consideration/thought and decided not to waste the Time & Effort.

Seems to me that even though this is AVS and some members do have the higher-end gear but when it comes to Triad ..........
Let me say I have had so many {Truly-Negative-Comments/Posts} it actually has SHOCKED me !!!
I would have actually thought guys would have jumped on board with me and said something positive about me going with Triad and putting my TRUST in Steve Colburn, Jim Laughlin and of course Charles that we have 10-15 years History with one another.

That has not been the case UN-Fortunately !!!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/2995466-tigerhonaker-s-home-theater-phase-1of-being-up-dated-august-2018-a-15.html#post59114246

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/2995466-tigerhonaker-s-home-theater-phase-1of-being-up-dated-august-2018-a-18.html#post59352882

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/2995466-tigerhonaker-s-home-theater-phase-1of-being-up-dated-august-2018-a-16.html#post59277546

To see the Comments from Steve Colburn & Charles Dyck roll the post down.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/2995466-tigerhonaker-s-home-theater-phase-1of-being-up-dated-august-2018-a-16.html#post59305554

Thanks again for your post Sir,
Terry Honaker
People have opinions.
If you ask you will get them.
Seems like people were judging you harshly for a particular upgrade and choice of spend versus a whole cohesive Triad system?
Anyways who cares? You made the money you spend it! I bet your super happy with how it sounds.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
People have opinions.
If you ask you will get them.
Seems like people were judging you harshly for a particular upgrade and choice of spend versus a whole cohesive Triad system?
Anyways who cares? You made the money you spend it! I bet your super happy with how it sounds.
Jrsred10,

Actually the Atmos system will be installed along with other Up-Grades come the middle of June 2020, next-month.

Click on link below,

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/2995466-tigerhonaker-s-home-theater-phase-1of-being-up-dated-august-2018-a-20.html#post59645412

Terry

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts

"doveryai no proveryai" Russian Proverb,
"Trust but Verify!"

It's not that I mistrust Triad. It's that I don't have enough data to make an informed decision about their speakers. When I was looking at speakers for Atmos, I looked at EVERY Triad in-ceiling speaker. The theoretically "ideal" speaker would have been the In-Ceiling Silver/6 Monitors because they "match" my surrounds, and they use the same midrange drivers and tweeters as my Platinums. Technically, they could be considered a perfect "timbre-match" for my Silver Monitor surrounds and Platinum LCR's. However, look at the speaker:

It's an MTM design. Ceiling mounting it requires a "horizontal" alignment. It can either be mounted along the long axis of the room, firing towards the back wall, or along the short axis, firing across the room. Here is the "typical" high frequency dispersion pattern of an MTM speaker:

In the high frequency range, and,without any kind of waveguide or dispersion lens, we "know" that the tweeter will beam the high frequencies straight forward. Therefore the listener sitting off-axis will be listening well outside the the optimal HF dispersion pattern. IOW, the high frequencies will be at a much lower level off-axis than on-axis. I have aimed all my other Triad speakers so I am listening directly on-axis to all of them, greatly reducing the impact of the off-axis response. In addition, my acoustic treatments further reduce the impact of the early reflections. To add a set of MTM's that I am forced to listen to off-axis, just didn't make sense.

More importantly, here is the typical "lobing" pattern of an MTM design:

In an Atmos Overhead position, the speaker is, by definition, in an off-axis position and the listener is forced to listen to the off-axis response in the zone that is labeled, "Cancellation Axis." The only way to correct this is to rotate the speaker so it is "aimed" at the LP, which is not possible with the In-Ceiling Silver/6 Monitor. So, now we have a horizontal MTM in a decidedly off-axis position. We *know* that this is will cause the listener to be in the lobing/cancellation portion of the dispersion pattern.

Add the fact that the drivers are mounted at a 45 degree angle with a side wall baffle. That surface can "block" the lateral dispersion, causing diffraction anomalies. Who knows what acoustic issues that will cause? Sure, it has some acoustic absorption, but it only looks to be about 1/2" thick, so it will only absorb the high frequencies... which will again change the off-axis timbre of the speaker.

Bottom line, I could spend over $2k per speaker on a speaker that is *theoretically* a perfect timbre-match for my other speakers... that Triad advised me would be the best speaker to use with my other speakers... and end up with a speaker that is decidedly NOT a timbre-match for my mains. Unfortunately, they couldn't provide me with measurments to back up that claim. Without on- and off-axis dispersion measurements, I had no idea how well it would work. And, unless Triad had some secret sauce that allowed them to defy the laws of physics and wave propagation, I'm virtually certain I would not get the ideal timbre-match I was after. I refused to spend that kind of money for something I couldn't verify would provide the response I wanted.

So, instead of using a "theoretically" timbre-matched speaker in a highly compromised position, I elected to use an AIMABLE non-Triad speaker, but one that I had actually HEARD in two systems that use the same Platinum speakers I have. @audioguy @BrolicBeast Therefore, I knew how well timbre-matched they are to my other speakers and how well they could be aimed to provide optimal on-axis response:

In addition, RSL actually provides horizontal and vertical dispersion measurements: https://rslspeakers.com/products/c34e-edgeless-in-ceiling-speaker/
The vertical dispersion is not perfect, but, since I *KNOW* that, I can ensure I'm not listening to the vertical off-axis response! (I *might* have been able to do something to accommodate the Triads IF I had at least *known* the dispersion patterns of the speakers.)

I didn't like the fact that the speakers were unenclosed, so I built my own backboxes for them. I built them so they drop perfectly into my ceiling gridwork, and they have exactly the RSL prescribed internal volume:

The results I achieved are stellar, and I did it for less than 1/4 the cost of the "matching" Triads.

Others are welcome to spend massive amounts of money on speakers they've never heard, and have no idea how they measure, based solely on the trust they place in the "advice" of sales reps. I hope they don't get a response that is very highly compromised, but I have my doubts. Me??? I'll only extend my trust so far, and I'll verify whenever I can. If Triad won't provide the information I need to verify, I'll move on. For Atmos speakers, I already have.

Craig

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
^^ What he said.

And I would specifically echo this comment:

Others are welcome to spend massive amounts of money on speakers they've never heard, and have no idea how they measure, based solely on the trust they place in the "advice" of sales reps. I hope they don't get a response that is very highly compromised, but I have my doubts.
And for the one making that choice, they will NEVER know that "they got what they paid for". It will just be what it is. It must be called "Trust but can't verify".

But I'm doing this:

10401 - 10420 of 10567 Posts