AVS Forum banner

10601 - 10620 of 10666 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
I mean.... if you're OK with mixing a tower with two 8" woofers + horn-loaded tweeter with a 3-way center using a folded ribbon tweeter from a completely different brand...

.... seems pretty bizarre to now be asking if it's "ok" to mix two different Triad speakers for surrounds that only differ in the woofer size. If what you have now in front of you, where your ears are most sensitive, is "OK" for you so far, what "not OK" thing do you expect is going to happen with slightly mismatched surrounds?
I barely ordered the JBL based on recommendations. (The first purchase for ky theater). I have heard the Emotiva is an excellent center in thay price range.

I want in wall for aesthetics, budget wise I was looking to get some second hand, hence the reason for the mixed ones.

I am just starting the process of creating my theater room. I haven't heard any of these. I am new to all of this, as such I have come to this forum for advice and feedback.

I was not familiar with the distinction of the tweeters, nor what that would mean.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The most important thing is to have your front 3 speakers to be exactly the same brand and model. Next comes the surrounds. Ideally, they should match the front speaker models as well or have the same tweeter and midrange drivers. What you are trying to achieve is cohesiveness on all your ear-level channels. Atmos channels aren't quite as important.

I can give you an example as to why you want the same ear level speakers for your front and surround channels. Let's suppose you have an on-screen character walking and talking from the front of the room and moving toward the rear. If you don't have similar drivers, the person will sound different as they move rearward. This goes for "planes, trains and automobiles" as well -- anything that moves from front to back or visa versa.

·
Registered
30,082 Posts
I barely ordered the JBL based on recommendations. (The first purchase for ky theater). I have heard the Emotiva is an excellent center in thay price range.
Since you are just getting started, I'm going to let you know that you've fallen into one of the most basic beginner fallacies of home theater: that the center channel somehow has a "different job" than the L/R speakers, and you make decisions for each independently.

This is NOT the correct approach for best sound. The three front speaker (left / center / right) work TOGETHER to form the front soundstage in home theater. The center is not "the dialogue speaker" or otherwise distinct in purpose, all three function as a single unit for movie soundtracks.

As Dawn noted, mixers can move sound anywhere across the screen or around the room. If someone walks from the left side of the screen to the right side, with his voice tracking his movements, you do not want it to audibly change in timbre as it moves. That is why the most important thing in home theater (with honorable mention to good bass calibration and room acoustics / proper layout) is matching the front 3 speakers as closely as possible.

Ideally all speakers would match, but our ears are less sensitive to sounds above or behind us, and mixers tend to put most of the direct action in the screen channels, so you can "get away with" lesser and/or mismatched speakers for surrounds (and even moreso the overheads). But matching the front 3 is the difference between "pretty good" and "perfect" front soundstage.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Since you are just getting started, I'm going to let you know that you've fallen into one of the most basic beginner fallacies of home theater: that the center channel somehow has a "different job" than the L/R speakers, and you make decisions for each independently.

This is NOT the correct approach for best sound. The three front speaker (left / center / right) work TOGETHER to form the front soundstage in home theater. The center is not "the dialogue speaker" or otherwise distinct in purpose, all three function as a single unit for movie soundtracks.

As Dawn noted, mixers can move sound anywhere across the screen or around the room. If someone walks from the left side of the screen to the right side, with his voice tracking his movements, you do not want it to audibly change in timbre as it moves. That is why the most important thing in home theater (with honorable mention to good bass calibration and room acoustics / proper layout) is matching the front 3 speakers as closely as possible.

Ideally all speakers would match, but our ears are less sensitive to sounds above or behind us, and mixers tend to put most of the direct action in the screen channels, so you can "get away with" lesser and/or mismatched speakers for surrounds (and even moreso the overheads). But matching the front 3 is the difference between "pretty good" and "perfect" front soundstage.
Thank you for sharing.

·
Premium Member
12,584 Posts
The three front speaker (left / center / right) work TOGETHER to form the front soundstage in home theater. The center is not "the dialogue speaker" or otherwise distinct in purpose, all three function as a single unit for movie soundtracks.
Thank you!!! I agree completely!!! Unfortunately, other posters on this forum, (not this thread, but the forum in general), have decided that, for multiple illogical reasons, timbre-matching the front front soundstage is a "myth" to be avoided. They argue that the CC's only job is to carry dialogue, and that the rest of the content in the CC, (which is some claimed small percentage which changes from post to post), is trivial. I've even seen posters claim the the CC should be maximized and the L/R's be given less importance. They attempt to minimize those who argue for timbre-matching as "ivory-tower" academics, more interested in measurements than the "realities" of people's systems. The language they use to describe timbre-matching is inexplicably derogatory.

batpig, your contributions on this subject are to be commended!

Craig

·
Registered
30,082 Posts
Thank you!!! I agree completely!!! Unfortunately, other posters on this forum, (not this thread, but the forum in general), have decided that, for multiple illogical reasons, timbre-matching the front front soundstage is a "myth" to be avoided. They argue that the CC's only job is to carry dialogue, and that the rest of the content in the CC, (which is some claimed small percentage which changes from post to post), is trivial.
People say ignorant things all the time, the secret is to know who is worth listening to and ignore the others :)

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
People say ignorant things all the time, the secret is to know who is worth listening to and ignore the others :)
The problem is, for a newbie, how does one determine who is worth listening to? While I have now terminated my use of Facebook, there are A/V groups on it where some person asks a reasonable question, but gets pure garbage for an answer. And there are HT YouTubers who have fairly large following who clearly know very little about audio. Other than doing LOTS of research, there is no real good answer.

And, while this has nothing to do with audio, I would highly recommend EVERYONE who has access to Netflix watch THIS. It is why I stopped accessing ALL of the "Social Networking" web sites.

It is a documentary (called "The Social Dilemma" - about 90 minutes long) on how all of these kinds of companies use the data they capture from all of their users. No, this is not some kind of "Conspiracy Theorist" documentary. It explores the dangerous human impact of social networking, with tech experts [ex senior executives from all of these social media companies] sounding the alarm on their own creations. And if you have teenage children or grandchildren, I would encourage you to have them watch it as well. Incredibly informative .....and incredibly scary!

Now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast!! Sorry for wandering OT!!

·
Premium Member
12,584 Posts
It's not about who you or I listen to, or who Chuck or Dawn listen to, or who any of the experienced and knowledgeable members of the forum listen to. We already know the correct answers to these questions. It's about those who come to the forum seeking knowledge... and receive nonsense instead. When I see someone giving bad advice, it's not in my nature to ignore it, to sit quietly by and let it stand. I need to correct it.

The problem is, for a newbie, how does one determine who is worth listening to? While I have now terminated my use of Facebook, there are A/V groups on it where some person asks a reasonable question, but gets pure garbage for an answer. And there are HT YouTubers who have fairly large following who clearly know very little about audio. Other than doing LOTS of research, there is no real good answer.
This ^^^ ! When someone is new to the forum, and someone with 18,000 posts tells them something, they will probably give that voice some credence, especially when their advice is couched in the cloak of saving money. The only way to really help those people is to give them correct advice, along with the logic and knowledge to make the correct decisions.

Equally important is the fact that hundreds, or even thousands, of other people read these same posts, and come to believe the nonsense as well.

Craig

Reactions: RagtopFE

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
Guys,

As I have said multiple times about New members and or Guest coming to this or any internet site.
If they have virtually No-Knowledge about Audio or Video ???
Then I say Good-Luck to them as there is simply No-Way to pick-out the Factual, useful, honest information.
From the totally Highly-Biased selling products on this internet site or any other internet site.
And that guys includes all gear like, AV processors, receivers, cables, amps, speakers, subwoofers, video-screens, projectors, flat-screens, interconnects, furniture, and the list goes on and on and on ..................

And lastly as I have also posted this AVS Internet Site is mainly about {SELLING-PRODUCTS} and anyone that thinks it's not ???
Well ...............

Terry

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
The biggest problem for newbies is that some of the smartest people are also some of the biggest a$$holes, they become demeaning based on a user's lack of knowledge, which sends the newbie running to the friendly crowd, who often has a pile of 6x9s and car subs and Cerwin Vegas with no rhyme or reason for their front soundstage, all running in series off the left channel of an 8yo Onkyo receiver because it's the only one they haven't blown out yet. Those guys are super nice, but have lots of incorrect info to pass along.

If we want this hobby to thrive in a high-end capacity, there are a lot of really smart people who need to get down off their high horse and be a little more welcoming.

Not pointing fingers at anyone at all. It's something everyone who is passionate about this should keep in mind, myself included. These people with a desire to learn and a passion for sound are the ones who can keep this alive if we help them, because you and I don't buy enough high end gear to keep companies in business. We need to grow the group, not alienate anyone who is starting from scratch.

·
Registered
30,082 Posts
The problem is, for a newbie, how does one determine who is worth listening to?
This ^^^ !
You are both unfortunately right, and it takes time to figure out who is giving you good info (and worth listening to) and who is spewing garbage.

And, as you note, this is a problem that has now become pervasive throughout society, as social media especially has made dissemination of misinformation (both unintentional and maliciously intentional) far too easy.

·
Registered
217 Posts
So are there any three towers that you all would recommend for LCR with a max budget of 500 each? Mostly home theater usage 22 x 13 x 9 room.

Are the JBL 590's ( if all three the same not a good choice?)

Any thoughts on Def Tech in general?

I know this is a triad sub forum, but that is out of my price range without trying to find things second hand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a newbie myself, this all rings true. It really is tough to get started. But, I do think it's relatively easy to spot knowledgeable people. What's hard is ignoring the well versed, not so knowledgeable....Thing is, If you search hard enough, you will find the answer you are "seeking" right or wrong. And I think most people never try to learn "why" they just want direction. And Being referred to a 8000 post thread is discouraging. Most prob just want an answer and to not have to spend a week filtering through posts about someone's sister in law's cat that prefers a 16:9 screen.

So, I commend you all that hang out on here and answer the same questions from different people day in and day out, because we refuse to read, and think the answer is as simple as locating the best place to mount a sound bar. It takes a special kind of passion....or patience.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30,082 Posts
So are there any three towers that you all would recommend for LCR with a max budget of 500 each? Mostly home theater usage 22 x 13 x 9 room.

Are the JBL 590's ( if all three the same not a good choice?)

Any thoughts on Def Tech in general?

I know this is a triad sub forum, but that is out of my price range without trying to find things second hand.
First off, yes, the JBL 590 are excellent speakers. JBL products are designed based on solid science (the Harman group which owns them funds some of the most cutting edge speaker and acoustics research out there) and also have trickle down technology from their world class professional products.

So if you're happy with them, roll with it.

That said, you don't need "towers" for LCR speakers. Triad doesn't even make "tower" speakers really (yes yes I know about the Plats), although you can make their speakers look like towers with stands :)

It's also important to understand that in a modern home theater with digital bass management, you don't NEED towers. Not that there's anything wrong with them. But there's a reason pro theaters with hidden speakers don't use them, they're not necessary (and in fact they can be limiting because the sheer size limits placement).

But, bottom line, (1) the JBL's are excellent speakers and (2) Triad in-walls on the used market will work just fine as surrounds. Both Triad and JBL design speakers with similar goals (flat on-axis response, wide dispersion, low distortion) so they will work well enough together especially given what was discussed above about surround matching.

Reactions: Dawn Gordon

·
Registered
217 Posts
First off, yes, the JBL 590 are excellent speakers. JBL products are designed based on solid science (the Harman group which owns them funds some of the most cutting edge speaker and acoustics research out there) and also have trickle down technology from their world class professional products.

So if you're happy with them, roll with it.

That said, you don't need "towers" for LCR speakers. Triad doesn't even make "tower" speakers really (yes yes I know about the Plats), although you can make their speakers look like towers with stands :)

It's also important to understand that in a modern home theater with digital bass management, you don't NEED towers. Not that there's anything wrong with them. But there's a reason pro theaters with hidden speakers don't use them, they're not necessary (and in fact they can be limiting because the sheer size limits placement).

But, bottom line, (1) the JBL's are excellent speakers and (2) Triad in-walls on the used market will work just fine as surrounds. Both Triad and JBL design speakers with similar goals (flat on-axis response, wide dispersion, low distortion) so they will work well enough together especially given what was discussed above about surround matching.
Thanks for the response.

Haven't even received the JBL's. I thought I had canceled (had considered painting wall vs AT screen) then found out they didn't cancel and shipped.

So for sure will atleast check them out.

Thank you for the feedback on the surrounds.

I'm assuming what you said about flat on-axis response, wide dispersion, and low distortion are not things someone could determine from speaker specs. If it were could you share what those would be so I can look for those?

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
The only way to really help those people is to give them correct advice, along with the logic and knowledge to make the correct decisions.

Craig
But, as we have discovered, there are still those who, even when given correct, accurate and appropriate advice by multiple knowledgeable people respond with: "Please don't bother me with the facts. I have made up my mind".

You can lead a horse to water ........and sometimes you can't !!

·
Premium Member
12,584 Posts
Thanks for the response.

Haven't even received the JBL's. I thought I had canceled (had considered painting wall vs AT screen) then found out they didn't cancel and shipped.

So for sure will atleast check them out.

Thank you for the feedback on the surrounds.

I'm assuming what you said about flat on-axis response, wide dispersion, and low distortion are not things someone could determine from speaker specs. If it were could you share what those would be so I can look for those?
You might find this thread helpful. This forum member bought JBL 590's and struggled with installing them. It's a 6 page thread, but you may find his journey helpful in your situation:

Craig

·
Registered
30,082 Posts
The above difficulties are why pro installers do not bother with "tower speakers" and instead go to custom architectural speakers like Triad or Procella for dedicated theater builds.

The big tower speaker is really made for living rooms. It's a bit awkward in a "real" HT where you want perfectly matched LCR behind an AT screen.

Most pros I talk to laugh about how consumers always think bigger speakers = better. Often bigger speakers just make it a challenge to place them correctly (both in terms of listening angles and boundary effects) and smaller speakers, more optically placed, would sound better. It's all about the total package.

Reactions: Dawn Gordon

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hi Guys,
I am building a new theater and looking to have Triad set up for all except for the sub. I am looking at the Platinum LCR set which I was told that was manufactured in 2008. I have a couple of questions:
  1. Did the Plats change a lot after 2008.
  2. If it did change is there any issue with older models I need to be aware of or variability in performance that I might need to be considered.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thank you

10601 - 10620 of 10666 Posts