AVS Forum banner

10621 - 10640 of 10666 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
I own Plats (in Room) bought about 5 years and I think there was one change in the crossover prior to that time. Short of spending at least twice the price, you can't do better. And if interested in in-room Plats, I am considering selling mine to change to in-wall. If interested, send me a PM.
Thank you for the info. Will reach through PM.

·
Registered
30,082 Posts
The Platinum and Gold LCR and the Monitor lines have been basically unchanged for ~15 years. They use SEAS and ScanSpeak drivers and the design has been the same since Triad introduced their modern lineup in the mid 2000's. The only reason the Bronze and Silver LCR and Omni/Sat speakers changed was because Vifa/Peerless went out of business, so they had to source new drivers, but it's still the same design.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's a really big room. You are going to need multiple subs. I would stick with the Silver series. (3) Silver LCRs -- all preferably vertically oriented. Two Silver Surrounds.

A drawing or floorplan with seating would help us nail it down further.
Here are some diagrams of the room:

These are just drafts, I am trying to figure out where to put the speakers. The center speaker will basically be at floor level since it has to fit under the TV (which is 31'' above the floor).

1) Does it need to be angled up if it is that low?
2) Should the L and R speakers be at the same height as the C or should they be at sitting ear height?
3) Should the surrounds be parallel to the couch or a bit behind or in front? I assume they should be at sitting ear height?
4) Any ideas on where to put the subs? The back of the room has an open staircase.

·
Registered
442 Posts
So are there any three towers that you all would recommend for LCR with a max budget of 500 each? Mostly home theater usage 22 x 13 x 9 room.

Are the JBL 590's ( if all three the same not a good choice?)

Any thoughts on Def Tech in general?

I know this is a triad sub forum, but that is out of my price range without trying to find things second hand.
The BRONZE LCR's aren't far away from that price...a great LCR speaker.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Here are some diagrams of the room:

View attachment 3041662

View attachment 3041663

These are just drafts, I am trying to figure out where to put the speakers. The center speaker will basically be at floor level since it has to fit under the TV (which is 31'' above the floor).

1) Does it need to be angled up if it is that low?
2) Should the L and R speakers be at the same height as the C or should they be at sitting ear height?
3) Should the surrounds be parallel to the couch or a bit behind or in front? I assume they should be at sitting ear height?
4) Any ideas on where to put the subs? The back of the room has an open staircase.
Ideally, the front (3) speakers should all be at ear-level, but I know it's not always possible -- especially with a TV rather than a projector/screen. Keep the right and left speakers at ear height. You can aim the center channel upwards to compensate, but if possible, please keep this speaker installed vertically like the right and left channels.

I would put the subs in the two front corners.

The surrounds should also be at ear-height and they can go slightly behind if you like.

We installed a system like this a couple of months ago for a client, and it sounded excellent for a non-dedicated theater!

·
Premium Member
12,584 Posts
I was, apparently, incorrect as I was pretty sure @craig john said my Plats (2015) had newer crossovers than his (don't recall the age of his).
Mine we're built in 2004. IIRC, there was a crossover change in about 2009/10 timeframe, but someone from Triad would need to verify that and provide more info about what was changed. When I heard @audioguy 's and @BrolicBeast 's systems, the tonality did not seem to be significantly different than my speakers, but you know... different rooms and electronics and all that... Still the basic sound signature of the speakers seemed the same.

Craig

Reactions: BrolicBeast

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ideally, the front (3) speakers should all be at ear-level, but I know it's not always possible -- especially with a TV rather than a projector/screen. Keep the right and left speakers at ear height. You can aim the center channel upwards to compensate, but if possible, please keep this speaker installed vertically like the right and left channels.

I would put the subs in the two front corners.

The surrounds should also be at ear-height and they can go slightly behind if you like.

We installed a system like this a couple of months ago for a client, and it sounded excellent for a non-dedicated theater!
If I am aiming the center speaker upwards and it is built in to the millwork, how does work with the grill? I assume the grill is attached to the speaker, so wouldn't it be tilted?

What is your opinion on toeing in the L and R speakers? And the surrounds?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
It depends on the speaker type and the cabinet. Typically, for our clients with custom cabinetry, we install in-wall Triads inside the cabinetry and take off the grills. We have the cabinet maker use acoustic cloth on the openings and we install acoustic batting all around the speaker in the cabinet.

We go with in-walls because those speakers are designed to be in a "closed" environment with walls on either side. If there is enough room, you can toe the speakers up and in. I would play around with those adjustments and see what you like best.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Do you think for Atmos the Silver 6 Inceiling Monitor work. I am working on setting up a 9.4.6 system and got the ear level covered and looking for the ceiling speakers. Based on the speaker layout provided by Trinnov I have the Top over MLP as Gold Monitor. According to their set up direct radiator is what they recommend for the other ceiling speakers as well, so was wondering whether Silver 6 Inceiling would work or not. Thoughts?

-Sen

·
Premium Member
12,584 Posts
Yes, the IC Silver/6 Monitor would be ideal for this.

If you want a copy of my Triad Speaker Matching chart, send me an email and I will send it to you.
Hi Dawn,

I have heard the Gold Monitors, and I own the Silver Monitors. My recollection of the sound signature of the Gold Monitors is that they are not an ideal match for the Silver Monitors. That said, and audio memory being what it is, it's certainly possible that I am mis-remembering. Just asking....

Also, how would one mount the MTM Silver Monitors so that they are aimed at the listening position? In the recommended Atmos positions, they are in line with the front L & R speakes, which would place them well wide of the LP. Therefore, if they are mounted along the depth axis of the room, (front heights aimed at the rear wall and rear heights aimed at the front wall), the LP would be well off axis of the dispersion pattern of the speakers, and off-axis in 2 "planes" both horizontal and vertical. The same would happen if the speakers were mounted along the width axis and aimed towards the middle of the room. Being off-axis of an MTM speakers is not ideal due to the inherent and unavoidable problem of lobing and comb filtering off axis of an MTM speaker.

When I was looking for Atmos speakers for my own system, I strongly considered IC Silver Monitors, because they would have been an ideal match for the rest of my surrounds. I ruled them out because I could not figure out how to mount them so they were aimed at the LP. I asked Triad several times for on- and off-axis response plots so I could see the response I could expect, but Triad was never forthcoming. (;):cautious::unsure:) Unless something has changed and they've provided those measurements to their dealers and/or custom installers, they are still not in the public domain.

Just wondering, how do your installers mount those speakers in Atmos positions? Do they make some custom mounting system that allows the speakers to be toe'd in or aimed at the LP? If they mount them in the usual way with attachment to the closest joists, and perpendicular or parallel to the walls, how well do they work in those significantly off-axis positions?

Craig

Reactions: rpm900

·
Premium Member
12,584 Posts
Do you think for Atmos the Silver 6 Inceiling Monitor work. I am working on setting up a 9.4.6 system and got the ear level covered and looking for the ceiling speakers. Based on the speaker layout provided by Trinnov I have the Top over MLP as Gold Monitor. According to their set up direct radiator is what they recommend for the other ceiling speakers as well, so was wondering whether Silver 6 Inceiling would work or not. Thoughts?

-Sen
I looked at the build thread in your signature, and it lists a Marantz 8801, which doesn't have Atmos capability or Dirac, and a non-matching speaker system consisting of JTR mains and Klipsch surrounds. Obviously you've updated your pre/pro if you now have something with Atmos and Dirac. Have you also changed out your main and surround speakers? If you haven't changed them, I'm not sure Triad speakers are the best fit for the rest of your system, at least not the Gold and Silver Monitors. The Gold LCR's might be a better choice, or the bipole versions of the Gold Surrounds. If you have changed them, what are you now using for the mains and surrounds.

Craig

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
[QU
Hi Craig,

Now it's completely possible i am missing something (only had 8 hours sleep over the past 48 hours), but I could have sworn that gskinusa said that he was considering Plats in front and I didn't see any mention of surrounds. Anyway, the Silver Monitors are the best match for the Plats, as they use the same high and mid-range drivers. In any case, you are correct, the Gold Monitors are completely different.

As far as Mounting the IC Silver Monitors, they are tricky because they are 19" wide and you have to be very aware of how the ceiling joists are running or positioned. Also, as you know, there is no way to toe them in. However, Atmos is a lot more forgiving than "ear-level" speakers, and you don't necessarily need to use the same speaker compliment as the first layer. Ceiling height and theater size plays a big role here. Silver Mini-Monitors can also work very well depending on the room.

Dawn

·
Registered
311 Posts
I looked at the build thread in your signature, and it lists a Marantz 8801, which doesn't have Atmos capability or Dirac, and a non-matching speaker system consisting of JTR mains and Klipsch surrounds. Obviously you've updated your pre/pro if you now have something with Atmos and Dirac. Have you also changed out your main and surround speakers? If you haven't changed them, I'm not sure Triad speakers are the best fit for the rest of your system, at least not the Gold and Silver Monitors. The Gold LCR's might be a better choice, or the bipole versions of the Gold Surrounds. If you have changed them, what are you now using for the mains and surrounds.

Craig
Hi Craig,
Thanks for the time you took to provide the details. That build thread was the one for my previous house. We moved and now I am in the process of building the new theater. After I moved I sold most of the old equipments and have been replacing them with some other sets. Following are the items I have now:
  • Triad Platinum LCR (Left and Right) with Platinum Center.
  • Triad Gold monitor wides and Silver monitor surrounds.
  • Trinnov Altitude 16
  • Emotiva Amps
  • Marantz 8802a (was using it until I got the Trinnov)
  • Tekton DI (have it in a living room set up)
Working on getting the room designed and then will be addressing the Atmos and Subs. Please let me know if you see anything that is off in this.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
12,584 Posts
Hi Sen,

I would suggest using Silver Monitors in all surround and Atmos positions instead of using a combination of Gold and Silver Monitors. The Silver Monitors use the same mid-range drivers as the Plat's and the tweeter is very similar, sans the dispersion lens. The Silver Monitors are recommended as the optimal timbre-match for the Plat's.

Also, if you have enough ceiling height and installation flexibility, you might consider mounting the in-ceiling Silver Monitors ON the ceiling, instead of in the ceiling. This would allow you to rotate them so they are aimed at the listening position, while still taking advantage of the slanted baffle. I'm not sure how that would work or how it would look, but from an acoustic standpoint, it might be a more optimal solution.

Craig

Reactions: gskinusa

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hi Sen,

I would suggest using Silver Monitors in all surround and Atmos positions instead of using a combination of Gold and Silver Monitors. The Silver Monitors use the same mid-range drivers as the Plat's and the tweeter is very similar, sans the dispersion lens. The Silver Monitors are recommended as the optimal timbre-match for the Plat's.

Also, if you have enough ceiling height and installation flexibility, you might consider mounting the in-ceiling Silver Monitors ON the ceiling, instead of in the ceiling. This would allow you to rotate them so they are aimed at the listening position, while still taking advantage of the slanted baffle. I'm not sure how that would work or how it would look, but from an acoustic standpoint, it might be a more optimal solution.

Craig
Thank you. I already have the Gold Monitors so need to see how to work that through. I have the surrounds covered with silver monitors but for wides was planning on using what I already have.

Regarding installing it on vs in ceiling, I had a discussion with Shawn from Quest and we decided to keep the decision on Atmos after the core room design is complete. I will keep the thought you provided in mind for that discussion.
Thanks
-Sen

·
Registered
30,082 Posts
If you're working with Shawn, you should be asking him for help :)

He's among the best in the world in home theater design / calibration / acoustics, and he will not give you bad advice. He has a long-standing, intimate working relationship with Triad, and has even had them design custom speakers. There aren't many installers out there who will have a deeper working knowledge of deploying Triad speakers properly in a custom home theater build.

Other than Dawn, the rest of us are "educated amateurs", and Shawn is at the top of his field. So just trust him ;)

10621 - 10640 of 10666 Posts