AVS Forum banner

10641 - 10660 of 10666 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,585 Posts
Thank you. I already have the Gold Monitors so need to see how to work that through. I have the surrounds covered with silver monitors but for wides was planning on using what I already have.

Regarding installing it on vs in ceiling, I had a discussion with Shawn from Quest and we decided to keep the decision on Atmos after the core room design is complete. I will keep the thought you provided in mind for that discussion.
Thanks
-Sen
Curious, did Shawn recommend the Gold Monitors to mate with the Plat's? That is not a combo I've seen recommended before. The Silver Monitors are usually recommended as the optimal "matching" surrounds to mate with Plat's. I use Silver Monitors with my Plat's, including the Wide's in my system.

Also, I will be curious to see what Sean recommends for Atmos speakers. Please keep us informed of the decision making as you proceed.

Craig

·
Registered
311 Posts
Curious, did Shawn recommend the Gold Monitors to mate with the Plat's? That is not a combo I've seen recommended before. The Silver Monitors are usually recommended as the optimal "matching" surrounds to mate with Plat's. I use Silver Monitors with my Plat's, including the Wide's in my system.

Also, I will be curious to see what Sean recommends for Atmos speakers. Please keep us informed of the decision making as you proceed.

Craig
Hi Craig,
No he did not. These are ones that I already have. We just started the conversation so still in the initial stages. Yes definitely will have this forum informed as we are able to move further with this.

Thanks
-Sen

·
Registered
94 Posts
Any one compare the Triad In Room Silver to JBL M2 for LCR in a HT setup? My HT will be about 15' wide with MLP around 11-13' with an open back of 24' I like to listen to my concert DVDs loudly and also will be using this as a 2 channel system when we want to listen to music. I know the M2s are incredible but also sightly expensive....thoughts on using the Triad Silvers?

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
Aren't the jbl m2 like five times the price of the silver LCR?

With proper amplification you should be able to get to reference volume with the silvers, at your listening position.

I don't know what "loud" means to you. But most people consider "reference" to be loud.

The M2s will play louder than the Silvers. You may want to consider the triad gold LCR too if output is a concern.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I have another option for you to consider. Take a look at the Triad Gold Monitors. They are close to half the price of the M2s and, I always recommend them for clients who like music as much as movies. They feature Scan-Speak drivers, including the amazing Revelator tweeters.

The Gold Monitors won't play as loud as the M2s but you can cross them over at 100Hz to have your sub(s) pitch in. These are truly impressive speakers and I personally own them.

One other option if you have the budget is the Triad Platinum series. They feature many of the same drivers as the Silver Monitors and will play very loud.

I can email you my Triad Speaker Matching Chart so you can see which speakers (surrounds, Atmos, etc) go with each Triad series. Just email me.

·
Premium Member
12,585 Posts
What @nathan_h said! The JBL M2 and Triad Silver LCR's are not close to being comparable. They are in completely different categories for price and performance envelope. The speaker in the Triad line that is comparable to the JBL M2 is the Triad Platinum. The Plat's and the M2's will both hit Reference levels with headroom to spare. The key difference between the Plat's and the M2 is that the Plat's are LCR's designed for use with subwoofer(s), whereas the M2 can be used as "full range" speakers.

All Triad speakers are designed as LCR's, meaning they are all designed to be used with subwoofers, especially when spec'd for an HT system. If you want a system with output comparable to the M2's, the Plat's + subwoofer(s) are the speakers to look at. If you want to get close to the M2's at a lower price range, the Gold LCR's + subwoofer(s) will be your next best choice. The Silver LCR's, while excellent in terms of sound quality, will not be able to hit the same max SPL's as the Gold's or Plat's. They may be more than adequate for your needs, but comparing them to the M2's is not a fair comparison.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Craig

Edit: +1 to what Dawn said!

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Any one compare the Triad In Room Silver to JBL M2 for LCR in a HT setup? My HT will be about 15' wide with MLP around 11-13' with an open back of 24' I like to listen to my concert DVDs loudly and also will be using this as a 2 channel system when we want to listen to music. I know the M2s are incredible but also sightly expensive....thoughts on using the Triad Silvers?
I have 6 (or as many as you'd like) brand new In Room Silver LCR's for sale at a deep discount in that section if interested 😎

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hello all, I believe this is my first post in this thread although I’ve owned InWall Gold Omni’s recently.

we are building a new house and it’s much bigger in overall volume than our previous. The main living area is 20x20 and open to a 13x20 kitchen and a dining area that is 13x12. This area has 14’ ceilings in the main area with 12’ ceilings throughout the rest of the house.

I would very much like a full house of Triad InWall and InCeiling speakers. Not sure of a budget yet so I’m still thinking there. I would like certainly like an Atmos setup in the main area with just distributed audio everywhere else.

Any suggestions on which particular product with this kind of volume? I feel like I will need some solid SPL and efficiency to fill the room.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Hello all, I believe this is my first post in this thread although I’ve owned InWall Gold Omni’s recently.

we are building a new house and it’s much bigger in overall volume than our previous. The main living area is 20x20 and open to a 13x20 kitchen and a dining area that is 13x12. This area has 14’ ceilings in the main area with 12’ ceilings throughout the rest of the house.

I would very much like a full house of Triad InWall and InCeiling speakers. Not sure of a budget yet so I’m still thinking there. I would like certainly like an Atmos setup in the main area with just distributed audio everywhere else.

Any suggestions on which particular product with this kind of volume? I feel like I will need some solid SPL and efficiency to fill the room.

Welcome to the Triad Thread!

That is a huge area. By my calculations it's almost 11500 cubic feet. The question is, how many subs do you need to pressurize that much space? I would start with 4. Ideally you should go with Gold LCRs as well.

Now, the second, and more important question: what's your budget? If this room is more of a casual space, rather than a serious theater space, then you can easily downsize. It's mostly about volume and presence. So how loud do you want it to go?

A floorplan with seating would be super helpful. Hand drawn is fine, there are no art critics here. :)

As far as distributed audio speakers the same questions hold true. How serious are you about the sound, and what is your budget?

I know there are a lot of questions to be answered, but the more information we have, the more we can help.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks Dawn. Yes it is a ton of cubic volume, I actually hadn’t calculated it!

As for the main area, it’s just casual but we do want it loud enough to feel immersed in whatever we’re watching- from Avengers to Whiplash I would say. Initially I was thinking I may need two subs, four would certainly kick it up a notch.

Distributed audio-I like really good sound, I don’t want muffled or tinny, but it’s not critical listening. Those will in-ceiling speakers primarily fed with Sonos since that’s I’ve used for several years.

As for budget, I would throw out a round number of $10k and work from that. Since I don’t have a good grasp of what Triad costs, I’m just going with a number I feel comfortable about now. Picture is below. View attachment 3047994 View attachment 3047994

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Thanks, much better. My recommendation is below:

5.2 System:
(3) InWall Silver LCRs (front)
(2) InWall Silver Surrounds (ceiling mounted)
Option 1: (2) InWall Bronze/4 SlimSubs (front corners)
Option 2: (2) InWall Silver/15 Subs (front corners) built into cabinetry - recommended

With such an open plan you really don't have any great spots for another set of subs, unless you build out the supports in the rear of the great room with drywall and we can put in a pair of InWall Bronze/4 SlimSubs. If you go this route we can also place the surrounds there instead of in the ceiling. We actually did this for a client last year and it came out great.

If you want my Triad Speaking Matching Chart and the Triad Room Size Guide please email me.

·
Premium Member
10,945 Posts
With that amount of open cubic footage that the subs will "see", (the main living area, kitchen, dining room, entry and foyer, in addition and what looks like glass sliding doors to the outside - which means the subs will see all of that as well), he will need a lot more subs than 4 15's to be able to even marginally pressurize the space. That does not mean he can't have clean, extended and fun bass with fewer subs, but he needs to have very reasonable expectations or he will be greatly disappointed.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks Dawn, I’d love to see the chart, anything will help. I love the setup, how would I incorporate Atmos into that, should I even bother?

As for the distributed audio, kitchen and dining ceiling as well as master bedroom, I was thinking the IC-63, do you think those will work well?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Oh, and one more question Dawn. I’ve seen you talk about placing the LCRs in the same direction, some of these are 19” in height, do you recommend putting the center speaker vertically?

·
Premium Member
12,585 Posts
I seems you can only use the right wall adjacent to the MBR for the theater wall, with the primary seating placed facing that wall. What video display technology do you plan to use, (i.e., flat panel display vs. projector and screen), and how large will the display be?

Craig

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
And I guess it goes without saying but I'll say it anyway just in case, when watching a movie at a nice solid sound level in this room, even if you don't complete pressurize it via substantial subs, everyone in the house, regardless of which room they are in or whether a door is closed, will hear every gun blast, explosion, car crash and probably much dialog.

This is not necessarily a deal breaker, depending on your household, but if you are like some of us, and do some serious movie watching when other people are asleep, it could be a deal breaker. I had a "great room" like that once, and had to use headphones when watching after hours.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Great questions and yes, the wall adjacent to the MBR is the display side. I’m bringing my Sony 75” XBR900F for that wall.

Yeah, actually haven’t though about that noise issue yet, I guess I’ll be up for every movie. I wonder if Rockwall insulation would help at all.

10641 - 10660 of 10666 Posts