AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of upgrading my GOLD LCRs to either Platinum LCRs or GOLD Monitors.

I'm leaning towards Platinum LCRs. However, here is my dilemma. Silver Monitors are using same tweeter and mid-range as Platinum LCRs. Gold Monitors are using better drivers than Silver Monitors. Can I assume, down the road there will be a Platinum Monitor which definitely have better drivers than Gold Monitors? At this point, there will be vast a difference between Platinum Monitors and Platinum LCRs. I was just wondering.

Paul or any Platinum LCRs and Gold Monitors, I would appreciate your comments. By the way my room is built with recommendations from Dennis. The room size is 27x16x9. Current setup includes Triad Silver subs and Platinum sub with Gold Surrounds.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
At CEDIA Triad had on display a new 3 way Gold Center channel. Especially in the room size you describe, I would suggest finding out about this one or going with the Platinum. You should also inquire with Dennis as he might have some suggestions as to how either would interact with your space as it was designed.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Speakers should be selected for the specific application. I mention this because, quite often, speakers are recommended on this forum without much consideration to how they'll be used in what space and with what related gear.

You have a good sized room, and if you want an audiophile front speaker that will hit 120 dB at your chair, the Platinum LCR is the guy. If 114 dB or so is plenty (my Gawd!!), the Gold Monitor has slightly higher resolution, due to the use of the Scan-Speak R-29 tweeter, which is pretty flat to 60 kHz...possibly the best moving-coil tweeter available. The Platinum LCR is $5400 each, and the Gold Monitor is $3200 each. Platinum LCRs are loads of fun in a big theater, with dynamics out the wazoo at 94.5 dB sensitivity. The Gold Monitor also has high sensitivity at 92 dB.

There will be a Platinum Monitor, but not for at least 18 months. It will more than likely be priced upwards of $7500 each, and possibly as high as $10,000. (Do I have a great job, or what??)

I defer to Dennis Erskine, who is more familiar with you, your room, and your budget. He can make the best recommendation. I hope you've been happy with your current Triad speakers. Both speakers you're considering are a very significant upgrade, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.