AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently auditioned the Triad Silver sub in my home and it sounded absolutlely fantastic. U-571 track 15 sounded 100x better. I did not realize there was that much bass in that scene. WOW!!! Talk about room filling. Does anyone have any experience with this sub and also how it would compare to the SVS 20-39. There is not a lot of information on the Triad sub and at almost double the price is it better to go with the SVS 20-39?

The sound that the Triad put out was very pleasant. My wife made the comment that it was not annoying, like the Acoustic research sub I have now is. Will the 20-39 put out good bass at low volumes as the Triad Silver sub did? That is what I am looking for. I do not want to have to pump the volume up to ref levels to get any good bass.

If anyone has any experiece with both of the subs and could comment on how the two compare it would be appreciated or just has info in general.

Thanks

·
Registered
692 Posts
Ben,

Tom may be familiar with the Triad line, I'm not. Do you have a link? The fact you liked it so much certainly speaks well for them. I can't imagine you being disappointed with a 20-39PC though. How long do you have the Triad for? Maybe we can have you compare it to an SVS and (price notwithstanding) compare the two?

Could be an interesting comparison. We like to think the 20-39PC can compete with subs at twice the price.

Ron

·
Registered
692 Posts
Ben,

Thanks. Took a mintue to realize I'd been there some time ago. I take it you are working with a local dealer on the Triad? If it's not imposing, what price were you quoted?

Unless there is some independent evaluation of the model you demo'd, a similar in-home test of an SVS might be the only way for you to know how one of ours would stack up. Maybe the Triad's been reviewed by Tom Nousaine for instance? He's about the most "comparable" when it comes to sub performance since he's been doing it, objectively and with repeatable methodology, for so long. There are some other good reviewers out there to be sure it's just more difficult to compare results. NOT having been reveiwed by TN is certainly no sign the Triad isn't a fantastic value in other words.

In any case, I'm not aware of any of our customers having experience with the Triad line (or vice versa) . We always seek permission to put such folks in contact with curious would-be customers. Holler if you want to risk shipping cost to spend some time with an SVS. Might be your best bet in the short run for any sort of subjective feedback. I'd not be suprised if either brand sub provided the HT bass experience you are looking for.

Ron

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ben,

I have had the In-Room Triad Silver Sub in my system for almost two months and have been extremely pleased with it. I particularly enjoyed it for music, even though I mainly tested it for HT. I think it has a very good size/presence ratio ;) and it is very articulate.

Yet I had to return it... because my In-Room Triad Gold Sub with the Birdseye Maple finish had finally arrived :D

Which speakers do you want to combine it with?

I have seen on Audiogon someone selling three Triad Silver LCR for 1000$, but I don't know how they compare to the Gold ones.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hobby 1,

I am actually looking at purchasing the Triad Silver LCR's. I am stuck with some Klipsch's at the moment. Way to bright for me. I found that out too late. Hopefully the speakers are still there.

Ron,

I was quoted a price around $1300, which would allow me to also purchase the Ultra for around the same price. The thought has crossed my mind. There is the wife factor and it has to fit into the custom cabinetry in our theater. Not enough room.

Ben

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Ben, the silver is a dual 8,opposed,smaller-sealed I think. In this sense...it's more designed to provide some good oomph factor down to the 35-40hz range for HT,and as a music addition. As you've noted...it's enclosure is generally well liked by the SOs out there...and that never hurts:).

The type of bass you'd get from a CS_U would be more like the triad 18. Much deeper extension and cleaner output in the 16-35hz range.A 25-31PC would be a bit closer in nature to the silver. If you've had the silver in room,and it performed fine and passed the WAF...there's little need to shop elsewhere.

TV

·
Registered
692 Posts
Ben,

Tom tactfully did NOT say how many of the Silvers it would probably take to get the low bass performance of the like-priced Ultra. :^)

How big is the spot you have? Would 16"x 16" x 32" fit? I think you really might be shocked at what something like a SVS 25-31PC would sound like. It certainly would give up nothing to the Silver I would think (again, without hard comparable performance data anything but your in-room comparision is probably secondary).

If totally enclosed/invisible is the criterion for your purchase, vice say, performance, then indeed an SVS might not be what you want. There is alot to be said for having equipment that pleases both in the house. But you started the thread, so maybe there is a chance with the WAF yet?

A 25-31PC is a pretty discreet package (beauty is in the eye of the beholder though http://www.svsubwoofers.com/2531description.htm )

Till you switch it on that is.

Enjoy whatever you end up with. A HT without a sub is a terrible thing to contemplate ;^)

Ron

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Just to clear up any possible confusion, it looks like Tom was looking at the in-wall version, not the in-room. The InRoom Silver PowerSub uses uses a 12" long throw driver in a sealed box with external dimensions of 15-1/2" w x 16-3/8" h 14-1/2" d, with 250W of rated power. It is certainly a capable subwoofer with a decent feature set, and is available in a range of finishes.

The SVS subs are different products, sold differently, and with different benefits and trade offs. It is up to you if the black tube works asthetically, and SVS offers some great output per dollar, and I would expect the 20-39 to play a bit louder than the Silver PowerSub with it's much larger box and ported alignment.

This is a prime case of two products with the same end goal of reproducing bass, yet each product is focused at very different applications and sales avenues. To different people, the various combinations of performance, convenience, asthetics and price will balance out differently. The fact is, you won't ever see an SVS subwoofer in your local retailer to go "touch and feel" for the same prices they are currently selling at... And that's just fine. Just be sure to realize the differences and what each offers. A robust sealed subwoofer certainly has it's benefits, and ports bring in their own complexities with their benefits. Trying to declare one overall better than another becomes pointless without the context of the application.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
YEah, there seems to be some changes to the lineup at Triad...my bad.

WSR reviewed the *GOLD* inroom and it was dual 10s, now the gold is listed as a single 15 at the triad site.

the silver inroom was listed a a dual 8 in the equipment guides...now it's a single 12?

Anyway, as Mark also points out...just consider all the tradeoffs involved. A tiny (

·
Registered
13 Posts
TV,

The Triad line of subs has completely changed this year, and besides the current Platinum reviewed in WSR, I haven't seen any review of the new Bronze, Silver and Gold.

I purchased my Gold sub with the external amp option. It's great since I thus only have speaker cable apparent from my components to the sub. The amp also has all the filter and volume settings on the front panel.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the insight.

Ron,

At the moment I have an area behind some acoustex fabric that measures roughly 24" wide x 20" tall x 24" deep. The cabinet is built on a 14" wide wall that is centered around a 65" RPTV. To each side is an area that encloses front L&R speakers, that I could modify to fit in one of the cylinder subs.

The room is roughly 18' deep, 8' tall and combines into a dining/kitchen area that makes the overall width around 40'. There is an opening that leads to the upstairs, as well as a hallway that leads to the front door and living room. There is quite a bit of open area.

With these dimensions, what would be your best recommendation from the SVS line-up.

Mark,

I am not that familiar with the different styles of subwoofers, in terms of a sealed box or ported. If you could explain the positives and negatives of each style it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

·
Registered
692 Posts
Ben,

With a room that size (big) it mostly depends on your goals, and your budget and WAF issues.

IF you want true reference level bass, I mean bass that will exceed what you typically hear even in a first rate movie theater, then I'd go for dual CS-Ultras, or at least dual 20-39CS subs with a Samson amp.

Since WAF issues seem to run hot here, I'd say just go for a single 25-31PC, discreetly stuck in a corner. It won't compete with dual Ultras but I think the depth an power of that short 16" cylinder will overcome all WAF issues.

If it turns out you CAN have one or even two mid-size (for SVS ;^) cylinders, and the smaller SVS isn't enough bass for your needs then we can always upgrade you.

Ron

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.