Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After years of playing with cheap LCD PJs (an early sharp and then a sony vpl w400q) and both ending in failed LCD panels...

I thought it was time to move into CRT. To get me up and running, I found the 1041Q in a local 2nd hand shop (very cheap) and have a month to trial it out to see if it is functioning.

I know it is only video grade and very low end, but I enjoy the challenge of fiddling.

a few queries:

- fires up ok, but can't seem to focus red tube across the whole picture, there is smearing in a vertical line just right off centre.

-I did notice that the lens rings for the outer tubes are set to 72" and the centre is set to 100". I thought I should be setting these all to 100", would this be correct.

-finally and probably most crucial, I'm losing picture at the very top. With every second scan (I think) it appears to refresh correctly. This only occurs on a video signal.

There doesn't appear to be any burn-in on the tube and the video image appears quite reasonable...just not sharply focused across the whole screen.

Do I persist or is this a lost cause on a video grade machine...

thanks for your advice...

·
Premium Member
17,215 Posts
Play with it for a month and then decide. Even though it's limited to 480p, at 72" (2 meters) it could still look as good as a typical (non-HD) "bigscreen" RPTV.

I personally wouldn't spend more than about US$200 for a 1041, but I'd buy just about any projector for $100. Plus since it's local, you don't have to mess with shipping.

It could also be a great "learning" machine. If you like it, I suspect you'd be able to resell it for whatever you pay for it, then keep searching for a projector with better capabilities.

-Clarence

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
definately set them all to the same projector throw (i.e. 72")

and post a pic of your smearing problem. PM me and I can e-mail you the manuals for that unit too

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
That smearing problem is probably the old fungus in the tube trick.

Not that hard to get rid of, and there are instructions posted on how to do this.

The 1041Q was MY introduction into CRT. Relatively small, quiet, and reliable.

EASY to set up. Careful on that center ring! If the lens is not tilted in any direction, leave it alone. The 2 side lenses should be tilted inwards.

The 1041 is a good learner projector, and it's hard to mess it up. I'd say enjoy it.

Marc

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your replies...

I'll do a search for the fungus effect... I did make up a brew for cleaning the outside of the lenses from an article in this forum.

thanks Dokworm for the manuals offer, but both operation and installation manuals came with the PJ.

I am a little confused by the lens rings. The outer lenses are set for 72" and do point inwards, which is correct, the middle lens is set for 100" and is at right angles to the front of the PJ.

I'll post a PIC later after some more fiddling.

Should I be checking and going through the registration adjustments?

thanks

·
Registered
16,914 Posts
Be sure you are looking at the correct Guide marks on the lens mounting plate . Only one of the marks is on the top and the other 2 are at the bottom which cannot be seen with lens block mounted and the plastic front trim cover installed .

--- And that is just the Lens spacers then you also have Tube spacers ... metal shims .

---- Jason

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.