AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Banned
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What, no love for this movie? Do yourselves a favor and check this film out. First, don't confuse this with some SyFy channel cheapie, or some haunted ship knock-off either. And for god's sake, don't read up on it...best to go into this one cold. Trust me on that.

Great performance from Melissa George (DARK CITY, MULHOLLAND FALLS, AMITYVILLE HORROR, IN TREATMENT) and a plot that just can't be given away. George's performance is the best thing I've ever seen this actress do and she never hits a false note. (And believe me, it's far from a one-note role.) If you like movies with some refreshing intelligence and mind games, don't miss this one. It's a movie that, when it ends, you won't be able to resist going back to the beginning. Sure there are a few flaws, primarily in a couple CG shots, but not in the acting, writing, or directing. A gem!

Unfortunately, this film screams for a director's commentary but there is none (nor any real extras to speak of, aside from some brief interview clips). But if the movie is what is important, this one deserves your time. I've enjoyed director Christopher Smith's previous work, but this one is his best so far. Might become my first BD purchase of 2010. (Yes, I'm that picky!)

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
Watched the other night.

Very good thriller/mystery.

Recommended.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I thought you meant the Tsui Hark/Ringo Lam/Johnnie To one, obviously we need a moratorium on movies and TV shows called "Triangle".

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons /forum/post/18232751

What, no love for this movie?

I liked it well enough. Melissa George is certainly an attraction. Redbox has the DVD, by the way.

I saw it back to back with TIMECRIMES; a good combination. PRIMER would work too, although that one is more complicated.

Time travel (which is the theme, sort of, not exactly...) is always paradoxical. So the plot does not need to be tightly coherent. Which is my way of saying it would be churlish to pick it apart. The dream-like, verging on nightmare quality of this film is more important than the mechanics.

-Bill

·
Registered
579 Posts
I didn't know anything about it when I rented it (I thought it was going to be a slasher flick, actually), so I was pleasantly surprised by the twists in the movie. Although a bit unrelated, "Fraility" is another movie that surpasses it horror roots genre also.

·
Banned
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryD /forum/post/18233444

I didn't know anything about it when I rented it (I thought it was going to be a slasher flick, actually), so I was pleasantly surprised by the twists in the movie. Although a bit unrelated, "Fraility" is another movie that surpasses it horror roots genre also.

Agreed. FRAILTY is one of only four BD discs I purchased in 2009. I can understand why some would think TRIANGLE is a slasher flick...the cover art certainly conveys that impression. I guess I can understand why...I mean, how does a studio/company sell this movie without giving anything away??? That's why I decided to start a thread. Since the film is much more than initially meets the eye, some might miss out on it, based on erroneous preconceptions. Actually, I consider TRIANGLE (and FRAILTY) more as psychological thrillers (though both have some horror elements).

But the next time I see a seagull....!

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

Quote:

What, no love for this movie?

I'm desperately trying to find it in the montreal area...
amazon to the rescue!

(I'll check again when I get 2012 tonight)

·
Registered
6,307 Posts

Quote:

What, no love for this movie? Do yourselves a favor and check this film out. First, don't confuse this with some SyFy channel cheapie, or some haunted ship knock-off either. And for god's sake, don't read up on it...best to go into this one cold. Trust me on that.

Great performance from Melissa George (DARK CITY, MULHOLLAND FALLS, AMITYVILLE HORROR, IN TREATMENT) and a plot that just can't be given away. George's performance is the best thing I've ever seen this actress do and she never hits a false note. (And believe me, it's far from a one-note role.) If you like movies with some refreshing intelligence and mind games, don't miss this one. It's a movie that, when it ends, you won't be able to resist going back to the beginning. Sure there are a few flaws, primarily in a couple CG shots, but not in the acting, writing, or directing. A gem!

Unfortunately, this film screams for a director's commentary but there is none (nor any real extras to speak of, aside from some brief interview clips). But if the movie is what is important, this one deserves your time. I've enjoyed director Christopher Smith's previous work, but this one is his best so far. Might become my first BD purchase of 2010. (Yes, I'm that picky!)

There was a trailer for this on something I watched last week and I thought it looked good so added it to queue, guess I'll bump it up! As far as Melissa George you forgot 30 Days of Night in her resume... loved that movie!

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:

First, don't confuse this with some SyFy channel cheapie

I actually dig SyFy's Triangle by Bryan Singer and Dean Devlin. I thought it was a pretty engaging show from start to end.

·
Banned
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi /forum/post/18234585

There was a trailer for this on something I watched last week and I thought it looked good so added it to queue, guess I'll bump it up! As far as Melissa George you forgot 30 Days of Night in her resume... loved that movie!

Didn't forget 30 DAYs...just that she's got a very long resume! But she's really topped herself in TRIANGLE. Like Sam Rockwell in MOON, she carries the film. But unlike MOON, she has to experience an extremely wide range of emotions. Lesser talents could easily overplay it, but she shows restraint, complexity and, in my opinion, knocks it out-of-the-park.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Most reviews I read labeled this as a better thriller and well done. It was well done for what they were trying to do but might as well have been a Seinfeld movie about nothing. Once I got far enough into the movie to tell what was going on I lost all interest. Nothing really happened. The psychological aspect of it did not float my boat. 90 mins I will never get back. But that happens. I think they put out the best product they could but when I watch a thriller I want to get behind somebody and join them to figure it out and then win in the end. There was no payoff here and the dead fish expression the main gal had on here face began to annoy me 5 minutes into the movie. Hopefully YMMV.

·
Banned
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGWTG /forum/post/18234767

I actually dig SyFy's Triangle by Bryan Singer and Dean Devlin. I thought it was a pretty engaging show from start to end.

My bad, as I had forgotten about the Singer offering and didn't mean to slam it. I was actually speaking genericly, meaning to refer more to their usual crap-fest films (along with any number of DTV flicks) and not any one title specifically.

·
Banned
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow /forum/post/18234776

...but when I watch a thriller I want to get behind somebody and join them to figure it out and then win in the end. There was no payoff here and the dead fish expression the main gal had on here face began to annoy me 5 minutes into the movie. Hopefully YMMV.

It's true, this is not a movie where everything is neatly tied up with a bow at the end. The fact that there was no "payoff" is the point and part of the tragedy. As for her "dead fish" expression at the beginning, remember at the outset that she's tired and probably distracted also...I thought she conveyed that quite well.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I discovered this film a few weeks ago and loved it. I've already watched Triangle three times. I read that the screenplay took 2 years to write.That does not surprise me as I love the way the film plays with time and memory. Triangle has become one of my favorite films of 2009.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi /forum/post/18234829

I didn't realize Keira Knightley was in this.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I watched this a few weeks ago having picked it up during a "lull" in good releases.

I wasn't expecting much but this movie grabbed me from the beginning. I actually think going into this one cold (as in not having any knowledge of the plot line) was a huge benefit.

I wathced it again with my wife and she loved it as well. She called it a "a complete Nightmare Mind-#$% of a movie".

Great stuff.

-Arpeggio

1 - 20 of 103 Posts