AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried the Radio Shack 15-1892 (the indoor "UFO" style antenna with an amplifier and a motor to rotate it) and I can pick up Fox, CBS, NBC and WC but only if I physically move the antenna to different locations (ie, not just using the motor). Even using the motor poses a problem because the TV will only tune what it can receive at ONE motor position. What antenna should I try next? Is the Silver Sensor going to get better reception than this thing? Should I hookup an amplifier to it? Should I try getting an outdoor antenna and using it indoors? I'm in an apartment on the 12th floor - I'd like to avoid fighting with my landlord for the right to put an antenna outside, but I could probably have one just sitting on my balcony without a problem. Any suggestions for antennae/amplifiers are welcome. I don't care how ugly it is :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure thing, I'm in an apt building - looking at antennaweb most of the towers are to the SSW of me, however my apt only has a window & balcony facing east.

Digital:

* yellow - uhf KMOV-DT 4.1 CBS ST. LOUIS MO 197° 8.1 56

* yellow - uhf KETC-DT 9.1 PBS ST. LOUIS MO 215° 13.5 39

* red - uhf KDNL-DT 30.1 ABC ST. LOUIS MO 224° 5.8 31

* blue - uhf KSDK-DT 5.1 NBC ST. LOUIS MO 219° 6.6 35

* blue - uhf KPLR-DT 11.1 CW ST. LOUIS MO 219° 6.1 26

* violet - uhf KTVI-DT 2.1 FOX St. Louis MO 221° 9.8 43

Using the current antenna I've been able to get Fox, CBS, NBC & CW - I'll be happy even if I only get those channels, just so long as it's a "fixed" setup so I don't have to move the antenna (myself or with a remote) when changing channels.

This is a map of where I am, East is indicated by the purple arrow :)

The outside of the apt is brick, I don't believe there's any siding. My balcony does have a metal "partition/door" on the south edge that divides mine from my neighbours balcony.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
All of your stations are digitally broadcasting in UHF and are spread around 25 degrees in azimuth. They will all stay at UHF after the analog shutdown in 2009, so you don't need to worry about dealing with digital VHF signals. I suggest you give the Silver Sensor UHF antenna a try. You can buy it locally under the Philips brand at Circuit City or the Terk version HDTVa at Best Buy. If it does not work, then the AntennasDirect DB-2 two bay bowtie is compact enough that it sometimes used indoors. Check the link at http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html .

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some odd findings - going outside and trying to point my antenna directly at the towers resulted in my tv not tuning ANY hd channels. I think it's because of the metal screening on the south end of my balcony.

I only seem to get channels when I point my antenna east, I think I must be picking up reflections of the signals off the buildings downtown. Any way to enhance these reflections? Would the silver sensor do a better or worse job of tuning in these conditions?

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozzer73 /forum/post/0

Some odd findings - going outside and trying to point my antenna directly at the towers resulted in my tv not tuning ANY hd channels. I think it's because of the metal screening on the south end of my balcony.

I only seem to get channels when I point my antenna east, I think I must be picking up reflections of the signals off the buildings downtown. Any way to enhance these reflections? Would the silver sensor do a better or worse job of tuning in these conditions?

IIRC, the silver sensor was designed to operate in strong multipath environments; i.e., it is strongly directional. So it could be a good choice if you can pick up a strong enough bounce.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtspm10000 /forum/post/0

IIRC, the silver sensor was designed to operate in strong multipath environments; i.e., it is strongly directional. So it could be a good choice if you can pick up a strong enough bounce.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if it's "directionality" meant it would eliminate reflected signals or just tune the single strongest reflection - not too familiar with antenna physics.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got my silver sensor and it works great even without any amplification. I'm getting CBS, NBC, Fox & CW, only missing ABC & PBS (never been able to get even a slight signal on either). Thanks for the advice everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.