AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My McIntosh pre-amp (C46) does not seem to want to trigger my 12 volt SMS-1 on or off.

Are there any devices that can help this problem besides Mano-a-Mano.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Hello

Try another 12 volt source, and measure the preamp trigger out with a voltmeter. Make sure your connections are solid.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Phoenix /forum/post/16983370

Hello

Try another 12 volt source, and measure the preamp trigger out with a voltmeter. Make sure your connections are solid.

I think my McIntosh is 5 volts not 12volts. Is there any electronic devices that can boost volts between gear for trigger function.

(I will try the trigger on another device. Thanks!)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don O'Brien /forum/post/16985131

Do you have 5v coming out of the C46?

The company said yes. 5v for MAC trigger

SMS-1 needs 12v, so I guess I push a button.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Titus /forum/post/16986566

The company said yes. 5v for MAC trigger

SMS-1 needs 12v, so I guess I push a button.
This may work, however the output @ 12v is 800ma which may be too much. Your local alarm store, like alarm warehouse or adi should be able to give you a relay that activates @ 5v w/ a transformer to step up to 12v output.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
There was an old Sony lcd projector that had a 5v output and there was a device that upconverted the voltage. Forgive my prior email, I was just trying to make sure that you measured 5v with a multimeter before trying to suggest a solution.

If you have a macro based 3rd party remote, you could stick the "on" command for the SMS into the Power On sequence for the c46.

·
Registered
21 Posts
sorry just took a closer look at that link, makes it alot more complicated than it needs to be. you basically need an ac to dc converter (wall wart) that has an output of 12v at what ever amperage you need ex. 200ma

now you need a relay that will close an independent circuit with a 5v input.

Should be like $10 worth of parts at your local alarm supply and they will be able to show you how to wire it

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybx /forum/post/16988868

sorry just took a closer look at that link, makes it alot more complicated than it needs to be. you basically need an ac to dc converter (wall wart) that has an output of 12v at what ever amperage you need ex. 200ma

now you need a relay that will close an independent circuit with a 5v input.

Should be like $10 worth of parts at your local alarm supply and they will be able to show you how to wire it

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.