AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a power strip that will accept an AC trigger source. I want to plug my 3 amps into the power strip and have the power strip triggered when I turn on my reciever. Niles used to make the AC-6+ but they discontinued it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Look through the products at Niles, Sonance, Xantech, Panamax, and I'm sure others. The products certainly exist, it's just a matter of how much they cost and if you have to buy too many other features which you won't use. What you should also remember is that you can plug a 12V "wall-wart" into the back of your reciever which could then provide a 12V signal to a power control module of some sort.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I posted this in response to a similar request like three weeks ago.

Just make one. Use a 12 or 6 volt relay that has the power handling capabilities for the 120 volt feed. Depending on how fancy you want to get this can be very profressional.

I used an old extension cord and cut the hot wire to test it. Worked great so I gutted and old upc power strip. I connected the relay in line with the power switch and put a barrel connector on the side (used an exacto to get the hole right). I then made a double ended barrel connector to my receiver. Whenever the recevier is on the relay closes and the power strip is active. I can still use the power switch on it if i need to deactivate it for some reason. Going cheap you could probably do this for less than 20 dollars.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
"Use a 12 or 6 volt relay that has the power handling capabilities for the 120 volt feed. "

Also, be sure the relay coils current requirement is below the current ability of your trigger. And if a person is using 'balanced' AC they *must* switch both neutral and hot wires.

Shawn

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a Monster PowerCenterâ„¢ HTS2000 that has a trigger input as well as a rocker switch. The box said something about it being an "installer's" version. I wasn't expecting that feature -- I can't find any mention of it on their web site -- but I was happy to get it. I ordered it over the web more than a year ago and I've forgotten which site I ordered it from. Let me know if you want me to check.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
159 Posts
I purchased two of the Niles iPower strips a year ago and love them. Very well made; not flashy, but they got the job done. A friend in San Francisco just went hunting for them and found out the same thing--Niles went out of the business. He tried calling around at different places to see if anybody had any left in stock and got nowhere. I believe that he decided that some of the Panamax products will fit his needs.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I had a similar issue with my AT1504 amp which I acquired a couple of weeks ago.

After some initial searching, I went to the local electronics store and purchased a 3 pole double throw 20A relay with a 120 V coil (for the trigger), a box to hold the relay, a 120V led (just to show that the power is on), an outlet etc .. and spent one evening putting it all together. Cost about $35 all inclusive (relay, led, cables, box, plug sockets, cable reliefs etc). Cheap, simple and works. It also switches hot, neutral and ground.

Radio Shack did not have a relay that could switch 20A .. but they do have one that switches 10A I believe. At worst, you could put them in series (incidently the 10A relay at Radio Shack was less than half the price of the 20A that I found).

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Good point. I hadn't noticed.

You definitely want to make sure your amps don't exceed the capacity of the surge protector. I will be using two units for exactly that reason.

/jab

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I picked up a Paramax 1500 from Onecall for a very good price. It fits the bill very nicely. I asked their customer service and it has no problem with a reciever and 3 outboard amps plus other equipment. Granted, it is supplied by a dedicated 15 amp circut. It has 4 switched, 4 always on and 2 delayed outlets. It also acts as a high quality surge protector ( even has inputs/outputs for 3 tv antenna inputs plus a phone line) and power conditioner. Very flexible unit.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The Max 1500's aility to handle three amps would depend on the current drawn by the amps. In my case, I'm reasonably sure I won't be able to drive all of my equipment (including 1600W of amplification) off my single 1500, which has a limit of 15A / 1800W. I'll be looking for a second 1500 or a pair of 4300's by the time I get everything installed.

I would encourage anyone considering loading up a surge suppressor to add up the power requirements of their equipment and compare it to the rated limits of the surge suppressor first.

/jab

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.