AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I have been dormant for some time, enjoying my theater. I have been intrigued recently by discussion on Trinnov's capabilities. I currently use ADA cinema rhapsody IV B with active monitors. I have 7.4 setup.
So I am looking for opinions on:
- Does magnitude 32 have same processing and room correction capabilities as Altitude (minus the pre amp and switching function)?
- What's the MSRP ( I am in AZ, USA) for altitude 8-16 vs similar magnitude model?

Thanks
mani

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi Guys

I have been dormant for some time, enjoying my theater. I have been intrigued recently by discussion on Trinnov's capabilities. I currently use ADA cinema rhapsody IV B with active monitors. I have 7.4 setup.
So I am looking for opinions on:
- Does magnitude 32 have same processing and room correction capabilities as Altitude (minus the pre amp and switching function)?
- What's the MSRP ( I am in AZ, USA) for altitude 8-16 vs similar magnitude model?

Thanks
mani
No, the magnitude doesn't have any of the surround sound codecs, but does have the room correction. Presumably you could run the Magnitude with your ADA unit, though I think its an analog processing function in that config? Alternatively, you could use a modded Oppo player. I believe the price of the Altitude is about 2x or more, depending on the # of channels.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
The altitude essentially makes an ADA obsolete as far as I can tell... am I missing something?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hello, I am interested as well in the Magnitude. How we could pass an Atmos signal from a processor to the Magnitude? could it be done digitaly so we only make the D/A conversion only once in the MAgnitude?

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Hello, I am interested as well in the Magnitude. How we could pass an Atmos signal from a processor to the Magnitude? could it be done digitaly so we only make the D/A conversion only once in the MAgnitude?
There are limited high channel count atmos processors outside of the altitude. Theta and datasat come to mind.

Some products won't have digital pre- outputs.

The altitude is a great product, I see no reason for the magnitude pairing with something else unless you have another product already.

Altitude allows you to redirect digital channels signals to specific outputs and provides a degree of flexibility that I have not seen in an audio product before outside of "pro-tools".

If the magnitude has the same algorithm for tuning as the altitude, i think it should work great (assuming you have a processor that can do digital output). There is something about extra unnecessary A/D - D/A steps that makes me "feel" dirty inside!

I must say the altitude is a VERY quiet product in terms of signal to noise and output "hiss" issues. Certainly the best in this regard that I have ever owned. I have tried numerous pre-amps that did not cut the mustard for my horn speakers.

·
Registered
176 Posts
There are limited high channel count atmos processors outside of the altitude. Theta and datasat come to mind.

Some products won't have digital pre- outputs.

The altitude is a great product, I see no reason for the magnitude pairing with something else unless you have another product already.

Altitude allows you to redirect digital channels signals to specific outputs and provides a degree of flexibility that I have not seen in an audio product before outside of "pro-tools".

If the magnitude has the same algorithm for tuning as the altitude, i think it should work great (assuming you have a processor that can do digital output). There is something about extra unnecessary A/D - D/A steps that makes me "feel" dirty inside!

I must say the altitude is a VERY quiet product in terms of signal to noise and output "hiss" issues. Certainly the best in this regard that I have ever owned. I have tried numerous pre-amps that did not cut the mustard for my horn speakers.
Exactly, I think I have the same feeling/understading as you....I dont see the point of using for the magnitude nowadays, beacuse there are not pre-processors with digital outputs for at least 16 channels (not even analogical)...and in addition it seems the Magnitude only accepts 8 digital inputs. Confusing as you say. Keep us informed.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
The Magnitude is a good, cheaper alternative to the Altitude for those that aren't going to go beyond 7.x. i.e. not going to do atmos/auro/dts-x. But you have to get adaptors for your modded Oppo to do digital out to the Magnitude. It won't take hdmi. But it has the same Optimizer algorithm as the Altitude and may be a good option for some people.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Exactly, I think I have the same feeling/understading as you....I dont see the point of using for the magnitude nowadays, beacuse there are not pre-processors with digital outputs for at least 16 channels (not even analogical)...and in addition it seems the Magnitude only accepts 8 digital inputs. Confusing as you say. Keep us informed.
Thanks
Apart from the fact the magnitude won't do 16 channel digi input, there is the datasat RS20i that has 16 digital outputs. I think the SL pre pro has digi outs as well.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Apart from the fact the magnitude won't do 16 channel digi input, there is the datasat RS20i that has 16 digital outputs. I think the SL pre pro has digi outs as well.
Yes I know about the datasat but I dont see the need of the Trinnov if you already have the Datasat and Dirac. The point here is to be able to put the Magnitude together with a solution that is less expensive than the Datasat or the Altitude. Becuase If you like the optimizer, is better to go for the Altitude than Datasat +Magnitude...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Yes I know about the datasat but I dont see the need of the Trinnov if you already have the Datasat and Dirac. The point here is to be able to put the Magnitude together with a solution that is less expensive than the Datasat or the Altitude. Becuase If you like the optimizer, is better to go for the Altitude than Datasat +Magnitude...
Oh yes I absolutely agree. Pointless having both trinnov and datasat. I was just addressing your comment that there are no pre pros with digi out upto 16 channel.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The Magnitude is a good, cheaper alternative to the Altitude for those that aren't going to go beyond 7.x. i.e. not going to do atmos/auro/dts-x. But you have to get adaptors for your modded Oppo to do digital out to the Magnitude. It won't take hdmi. But it has the same Optimizer algorithm as the Altitude and may be a good option for some people.
That's exactly what I was affraid of. Just 7.x. Definitely not for me then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts