AVS Forum banner

7821 - 7840 of 12314 Posts

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Question - I read the manual for the Attitude16 and really like what I was reading (the machine’s a beast). My question is that I could not find any settings for Theater Re-EQ rolloff, is that something that has to be set up in a preset?

You would accomplish the goal of (name the marketing terminology, i.e. X-curve, theater re-eq, etc) by creating your target curves. You control where the freq's start rolling off and where you may want a rising boost in bass. There is no catch-all setting to do this like in mass-market AVR's, prepros. But the target curves will give you tremendous flexibility even different curves per speaker/speaker pair. If you go back thru the posts, you'll find common examples plus many of us do our own depending on hearing preference, speakers & room acoustics.

I think you'll like playing with target curves :)

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
I do not have an Altitude. I have an ADA Reference which has a Trinnov section physically above an ADA section. My only direct digital input into the Trinnov section is via DB25. (All other digital inputs go through the lower ADA section and get resampled to 48k.)
Ah right, forgot the ADA has TEQ built-in.

Anyway, Trinnov uses the Tascam AES wiring scheme, so on the DB25, Pin 24 is Hot, Pin 12 is Cold, and Pin 25 is Gnd. Or just buy a DB25 to XLR cable, and use the XLR connector labeled 1. Again, make sure 110 Ohm.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Ah right, forgot the ADA has TEQ built-in.

Anyway, Trinnov uses the Tascam AES wiring scheme, so on the DB25, Pin 24 is Hot, Pin 12 is Cold, and Pin 25 is Gnd. Or just buy a DB25 to XLR cable, and use the XLR connector labeled 1. Again, make sure 110 Ohm.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,653 Posts
Multiple Subs:

In trying to experiment on my Altitude using multiple subs connected directly to the Altitude (versus how I normally connect them via a miniDSP), I have found mostly success (by following the instructions posted by Adam Pelz). I can adjust delays and levels in the Setup section. It all works well. BUT, if I try to play the LFE channel out of OmniMic, I get dead silence. The only way I can actually get the subs to play is by having bass management turned on, play the left speaker (from the OmniMic menu), then mute the left speaker within the Altitude, and have the crossover for the left speaker at well over 200Hz. That is as close as I can get.

Any ideas on why it won't play directly from the LFE option from OmniMic? Never had this issue previously!

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
that sounds pretty tedious to me tbh but preferences/tolerance vary so it's nice to have options :) most filters are much steeper than the one shown though so seems reasonable to expect the errors to be magnified accordingly.

]
Not too tedious, but yes, if the filters were super aggressive, then the errors would be larger. However, the whole thing is just an interpretation anyway. We're talking special effects explosions and rumble with all sorts of computer generated distortion and harmonics, not accurately reproducing the lowest fundamentals of a large pipe organ or Imperial Bosendorfer.

Biggest problem I see with using the EQ Groups to save BassEQ settings is that if those EQ Groups also contain the subwoofer PEQ filters, and for some reason those need to change (and in this group, they will!), then you would be starting from scratch with every movie. If those BassEQ settings are stored in the UserEQ section, despite being 1/3rd octave approximations, at least then they are separate from speaker PEQ filters.

For any of my clients that also have a QSYS Core DSP (90% ?), I'm working on a base outline of a plan to use the movie title feedback from a Kaleidescape to have the control system look up the BassEQ filters and apply them automatically on playback in the Core, and reset on source change, system off, etc. DO NOT start calling and texting me about when! I barely have time to even respond to posts here lately. ;)

Reactions: Mark Seaton

·
Premium Member
4,594 Posts
Biggest problem I see with using the EQ Groups to save BassEQ settings is that if those EQ Groups also contain the subwoofer PEQ filters, and for some reason those need to change (and in this group, they will!), then you would be starting from scratch with every movie. If those BassEQ settings are stored in the UserEQ section, despite being 1/3rd octave approximations, at least then they are separate from speaker PEQ filters.
To be honest, I had first thought that this fell into "if it's not broke, why fix it" since implementing the level and Q settings for a given movie and saving as a profile isn't all that much work with some practice. And I do it routinely on top of my existing subwoofer PEQ filters, using that set as a starting point/base for my calibration before adding any movie specific profile information and saving the individual files post-Optimizer. But if you have to redo your calibration due to room changes, it indeed is back to the drawing board, and all that work goes out the window :( . In that sense, going to the User EQ profiles is a better option unless Trinnov (hint!) adds the capability to stack profiles on the PEQ. That would be welcome.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
...Any ideas on why it won't play directly from the LFE option from OmniMic? Never had this issue previously!

I know you're an old hand at this :) This is a simple possibility but just in case:

At the top of the bass management tab, there is a small gray "box" that opens to a drop menu. Make sure it's set to "On" not "LFE to LR (legacy)". That could explain it.

Screenshots -

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,653 Posts
Each time I read these posts about adding low shelf filters to bring the bass to some level other than what is on the disc, I am continually reminded of adjusting cartridge tracking angle on a per album basis during my analog turntable days.

If somehow, the process to "fix" the bass were 100% automatic, I might consider it. I have the DVD and Blu-ray version of a couple of movies (e.g. Master and Commander) and on a few scenes, it is clear that the very low end was attenuated. BUT, at least from my experience, the overall envelopment and enjoyment of the movie is not diminished in the least bit using the version that has the less powerful bass.

But clearly, that is just me.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Looking for recommendations for a HDMI matrix switch that has at least 8 inputs and can switch video and audio outputs separately. Has to be able to handle the latest 4K HDR video formats and be IP addressable for control. I am currently using an AVPro Edge but I'm on my third one and this one has already lost 2 out of the 8 inputs. I need something way more reliable than that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here are a few suggestions from Nortek/Corebrands these are the newer versions. I've sold some older versions and havent had any issues with those so I am assuming these are just as good if not better

Gefen CI EXT-UHD600A-88, Gefen CI GEF-UHD-89-HBT2, ELAN Essentials EL-4KPM-V88-A2416

I use avpro and haven't had an issue yet - had it for two years however its the AC-MX44-AUHD.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
I am working on setting up a 15.5.12 set up with the Altitude 16-32 in a temporary space, until I build a custom space that specifically meets my needs. The custom space is a future consideration, so I am trying to work with my current space at the moment.

I am utilizing SCL-3's for the ceiling speakers, and I want to have a SCL-3's right in front of the screen for my first row of ceiling speakers. Unfortunately, my ceiling joists won't allow optimal placement given my acoustically transparent screen location and an extra load bearing board. For optimal placement, I would need to relocate the screen backward, which would infringe upon my subs and mains space placement behind the screen.

My question is, does it make any sense at all to have downward firing ceiling speakers directly behind an acoustically transparent screen (firing down onto my mains)?

Any insight from people who are utilizing a .10 or .12 (for Auro) configuration would be appreciated. My instinct tells me that putting the ceiling speakers behind the screen is a no go, but I figured I would post for peace of mind, 1 way or the other.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I am working on setting up a 15.5.12 set up with the Altitude 16-32 in a temporary space, until I build a custom space that specifically meets my needs. The custom space is a future consideration, so I am trying to work with my current space at the moment.

I am utilizing SCL-3's for the ceiling speakers, and I want to have a SCL-3's right in front of the screen for my first row of ceiling speakers. Unfortunately, my ceiling joists won't allow optimal placement given my acoustically transparent screen location and an extra load bearing board. For optimal placement, I would need to relocate the screen backward, which would infringe upon my subs and mains space placement behind the screen.

My question is, does it make any sense at all to have downward firing ceiling speakers directly behind an acoustically transparent screen (firing down onto my mains)?

Any insight from people who are utilizing a .10 or .12 (for Auro) configuration would be appreciated. My instinct tells me that putting the ceiling speakers behind the screen is a no go, but I figured I would post for peace of mind, 1 way or the other.

Thanks
What elevation angle does that result in for those front height speakers? Also, does your screen not have some sort of frame that would occlude the heights in that position?

Personally I wouldn't recommend SCL-3's, or indeed any downward firing speaker, for heights other than the type with an angled integral baffle, as the MLP is just too far off axis. You can maybe get away with them in TF/TM/TR positions (though even +/- 45 degrees off axis is pretty compromised) but not front and rear height positions. If you are determined to have a discrete (from an aesthetic perspective) install, you would be better utilising something like the Revel C763L, or if you really want to use the SCL-3, then make an angled MDF baffle to mount on the ceiling. If a discrete install isn't a priority, then (staying in the JBL family) something like the 705i or 708i (if you have the ceiling height) will give you much better performance as you can aim the speaker directly at the MLP.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Thanks for the response @Wookii. My current space only has a ceiling height of 7'. And yes, my screen has a frame, which would interfere with the scl-3 behind the screen. Considering my limited ceiling height, the plan was to use the scl-3's as flush mounted between my joists (firing straight down), but I do feel that it would be best to have the ceiling surrounds angled towards the listener. I had considered the revel c763l, which certainly would be more cost effective for me, and also has that preferred angle towards the listening position. I opted to stay with JBL inwalls because I was advised by several people that the scl-3's are designed to go between the joists, and it seems that the scl-3's will be more dynamic.

Current ceiling height and joist locations are proving to be limiting factors

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Question for Roon ROCK expert

Could you please have a look at the configuration below? I have tried to select the options that will give me the optimal fanless mini-computer for running Roon ROCK. Did I make the right choices? Most importantly: I don't know if ROON can use the boot drive (M.2) also as the place where the music files are stored. If not, and this drive can only be used to boot into ROON, then a better solution would be to opt for a much smaller drive and add a separate 2.5" drive (SSD) for storing the music files.

Quiet PC UntraNUC Pro 8 Fanless.png

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Could you please have a look at the configuration below? I have tried to select the options that will give me the optimal fanless mini-computer for running Roon ROCK. Did I make the right choices? Most importantly: I don't know if ROON can use the boot drive (M.2) also as the place where the music files are stored. If not, and this drive can only be used to boot into ROON, then a better solution would be to opt for a much smaller drive and add a separate 2.5" drive (SSD) for storing the music files.
Not an 'expert' but it looks fine to me Maikel, other than you are correct in your query, you can't store music on the Roon Rock OS drive, so if you want to store music on it locally (rather than on a separate NAS) you will want an additional SSD and a smaller OS drive.

Its also worth noting that Rock will never use 8Gb of ram, so 2 x 4Gb is plenty - though the cost difference is probably negligible.

Also worth noting, is that you only need the i7 if you have a very very large local library, or plan on using the Roon DSP functions - otherwise an i5 would be more than sufficient.

If you want a lower profile, less imposing case (and still want to be fanless), check out the Akasa Plato X8: https://www.quietpc.com/akasa-plato-x8?product=5865

7821 - 7840 of 12314 Posts