AVS Forum banner

9221 - 9240 of 12321 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,595 Posts
That's not exactly what I heard a couple of months ago during the webinar. Supposedly all is ready on the technical side, and the waiting is for certification papers only.
That's exactly I heard when I pinged Trinnov awhile back. The actual programming was straightforward, as all DTS:X Pro is doing is eliminating the 11 channel limit for processing, for purposes of expanding out to more channels with post-process upmix and rendering beyond 11 channels IF the extra objects were assigned beyond an 11 channel layout. Rather the issue is the certification process and bureaucracy.

That might actually be a good description of the current situation: sitting on it all done, waiting for the paper work to be signed off .... :rolleyes:
Yup. Unfortunately Trinnov isn't all powerful yet :) and still depends on DTS to sign off on whatever they need to sign off on for the release to happen.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Oh well, it seems like a waste to be in the forum when I'll never have a Trinnov. So I'm out. Does anyone know how to delete my account on here?
Why delete your account? You are certainly welcome to post in threads without being an owner...at least I think so lol. I post in many threads even though I don't own all the brands.
I must confess I am a bit puzzled by your radical shifts in direction in a short period of time but it is your prerogative....

Reactions: llang269

·
Registered
21,127 Posts
Why delete your account? You are certainly welcome to post in threads without being an owner...at least I think so lol. I post in many threads even though I don't own all the brands.
I must confess I am a bit puzzled by your radical shifts in direction in a short period of time but it is your prerogative....
Do you see the crap I get from Cannga at the Theta Digital thread because after years w Theta SSP I changed to Alt32 for many reasons including better Sonics! HA!

Reactions: mikela

·
Premium Member
4,595 Posts
Maybe posting on the Trinnov thread won't be of interest to Mike_Pasich necessarily, but there are plenty of threads about movies, TV series, and music to participate in that aren't about gear as such. No need to give up on AVS just because you're not looking at gear...

·
Registered
685 Posts
Is there some importance as to when the Trinnov is turned on in relation to the projector and sources. I've had a couple of instances where the
Trinnov didn't respond to any inputs. A simple off/on solved it, but since I have a Control 4 system, any sequence or delay can be built in.
My previous processor, a Theta Casablanca, was really picky. it had to be turned on first or the HDMI handshake didn't happen.

The annoying thing is that its intermittent.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'm sure you'll get lots of different opinions. Likely depends on modality software. For me it's:

Trinnov until fully booted -> amps -> Lumagen -> projector -> source

·
Registered
685 Posts
How much time do you allow for the boot time. That sounds like the issue.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
834 Posts
I asked Jon Herron of Trinnov this question a while back. His answer was Projector first, then Trinnov, and lastly Source.

Is there some importance as to when the Trinnov is turned on in relation to the projector and sources. I've had a couple of instances where the
Trinnov didn't respond to any inputs.

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
Projector first, then Trinnov, and lastly Source.

That has been true for every processor I have owned, Trinnov included.
What Chuck said. Not a Trinnov owner, but I have found turning the projector on first, then my processor, then my source prevents these type of problems. My understanding is that it is due to HDMI handshaking and communication protocol.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
With my MX170 it doesn’t matter what order I power on my devices it syncs. Since that is the case, I power on my projector last. (SSP, then amps, then source, then projector).

·
Registered
834 Posts
I asked Jon since I had a lot of HDMI issues not encountered before and this was the only change I made to the chain at that time. Like I said, I follow his advice but I found this from Denon: "The power on order can be a key issue as to whether or not the HDMI signals will pass through the system. For best results, the receiver should be powered on first, then the TV, and lastly the source device(s). The reason for this has to do with getting the equipment to communicate properly for the HDCP protocol and correct EDID response."

Given HDMI, the key is probably doing whatever works for your set of gear.:)

That has been true for every processor I have owned, Trinnov included.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I don't have a projector connected to the Altitude32 (I have my LG OLED B7), but the HDMI board has been working perfectly since the 4.2.11 release. No issues regardless; even Apple TV 4K works flawlessly.

Reactions: kamenoff

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don't have a projector connected to the Altitude32 (I have my LG OLED B7), but the HDMI board has been working perfectly since the 4.2.11 release. No issues regardless; even Apple TV 4K works flawlessly.
I went from the dreaded pink screen crashes to complete stability . I set my 4k sources (Oppo / Panasonic ) to 1.4 and Apple TV 4K to 2.0 and no more video problems .

Unfortunately , the 32 is connected to a Meridian 271 and the 'whiplash' thump when the signal connects is dreadful and almost life-threatening ;O)

~M~

·
Premium Member
10,657 Posts
StormAudio has shown that it can be better with the new HDMI card, very fast switching and all devices are reliably recognized, the order does not matter.
Except that this is not a Storm Audio thread. I will refrain from comparing Storm Audio to the Trinnov. You may want to consider doing the same.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
It is not a matter of comparison, but Trinnov would have to think slowly about a better HDMI card.
I agree. I would think feedback from owners of other processors would help show that there may be room for improvement re the Trinnov hdmi board if it proves temperamental. Feedback could prove helpful with future board development. It has nothing to do with taking shots at Trinnov, or comparison in a snide light, such as the case with my comment.

·
Premium Member
4,595 Posts
I agree. I would think feedback from owners of other processors would help show that there may be room for improvement re the Trinnov hdmi board if it proves temperamental. Feedback could prove helpful with future board development. It has nothing to do with taking shots at Trinnov, or comparison in a snide light, such as the case with my comment.
These aren't apples to apples comparisons, and [email protected] is offering opinions with subjective terms like "better" and "all devices are reliably recognized". Without support of specific devices and an A/B comparison, these read like marketing claims rather than evidence-based conclusions.

The specific devices engaged, the display/projector, cabling (i.e. passive vs. active over 25 ft), and the like are always going to be factors for switching performance of HDMI boards at a consumer level. And saying "the order doesn't matter" goes known recommendations for the startup path for HDMI-supporting equipment, from Denon and Trinnov (among others; this is hardly the first thread with HDMI switching that has been discussed on AVS). Why should Storm be the exception?

Also, it's unclear if he is a simply an owner, a dealer himself, or a stakeholder with Storm Audio. Looking at his post history, it seems that he almost exclusively posts about Storm Audio, on this thread or others. So forgive me for offering cynicism about his motives surfacing on this thread.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
All of the above said, I haven't had any real issues with the Trinnov HDMI path since the last board software revision. Every problem I can think of was resolved by using good cables. And for those without thousands (tens) of dollars in test equipment, the diagnostics available is incredibly useful. I don't know of any other manufacturer that provides that level of information.

9221 - 9240 of 12321 Posts