AVS Forum banner

11941 - 11960 of 12306 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
In the simplest of terms, It’s best to disable the PEQ on the subs and PEQ from the Trinnov prior to using the optimizer, treating the sub output as a single speaker.
I disagree with this statement. I have disabled all DSP on my subs, but had a round with PEQ in the Altitude32 for sub channels pre running Optimizer. This was also based on recommendation from Trinnov, keep in mind - be very careful what you do in PEQ (it is not smart to have much gain). For mine I had direct output (no positive or negative gain for the amplifiers in the subs). I used the default gain for my subs compared to the rest of the channels to apply PEQ filters with negative gain to create a fairly flat curve up to 200Hz for subs. I then ran calibration with Optimizer. So instead of matching level for subs against the rest of the channels; I applied negative PEQ filters for subs to achieve this match. End result; fantastic!

Feedback I have received multiple times from Trinnov regarding PEQ. Apply PEQ pre calibration, always pre :)

Reactions: OsoSolitario

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Feedback I have received multiple times from Trinnov regarding PEQ. Apply PEQ pre calibration, always pre :)
That is exactly what Jish said. "PEQ from the Trinnov prior to using the optimizer".

That said, if you have the proper tools and knowledge, there is no problem applying PEQ or other filters (in an external DSP for example) after Optimizer. PEQ prior to Optimizer only is definitely a "best practice" for most users however, and advice I would also give.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
That is exactly what Jish said. "PEQ from the Trinnov prior to using the optimizer".

That said, if you have the proper tools and knowledge, there is no problem applying PEQ or other filters (in an external DSP for example) after Optimizer. PEQ prior to Optimizer only is definitely a "best practice" for most users however, and advice I would also give.
Maybe I did not had my glasses on when reading that post :)

Reactions: appelz

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have never tried; why use DLNA when you have Roon? :)
Don't have Roon :frown:
I have been using JRMC for many years and am familiar with it and generally happy with it. I tried Roon for 2 weeks as a trial but did not continue as I did not find that the sound was any better than JRMC and it is quite expensive considering how weak our local currency has become...
I did not think to try multichannel at the time

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have noticed that when using my fire stick connected to the trinnov alt 16 and then to my projector I get a 4k signal from Amazon Prime but not from Disney or Netflix. I think this is an Hdcp 2.2 issue. The projector and trinnov inputs are compatible, but the output is not. Is this fixable with software or will it need the new board? Anyone else have this issue? Any other way to watch Disney 4k? I did think of connecting to the PJ directly but not sure it has a full fat audio return channel, and it only has one HDMI output. Is Apple TV any better?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I have noticed that when using my fire stick connected to the trinnov alt 16 and then to my projector I get a 4k signal from Amazon Prime but not from Disney or Netflix. I think this is an Hdcp 2.2 issue. The projector and trinnov inputs are compatible, but the output is not. Is this fixable with software or will it need the new board? Anyone else have this issue? Any other way to watch Disney 4k? I did think of connecting to the PJ directly but not sure it has a full fat audio return channel, and it only has one HDMI output. Is Apple TV any better?
Thanks
This statement is incorrect

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Maybe I did not had my glasses on when reading that post :)
Hehe, I read yours several times just to make sure before I posted!

Reactions: Berland

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks
This statement is incorrect

Ok, says hdcp 2.0 on the website so I thought this was the issue. I’ll check on my machine when I get home. 👍🏻

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Ok, says hdcp 2.0 on the website so I thought this was the issue. I’ll check on my machine when I get home. 👍🏻
I have notified Trinnov and they stated they would update their webpage ASAP - with information that _of course_ the Altitude16 and 32 are HDCP 2.2 compliant :) I already knew since I have tested HDCP 2.2 previously.

Update:
The webpage for Altitude16 updated at least. Webpage for Altitude32 still not updated.

Update2:
Webpage for Altitude32 also updated regarding HDCP 2.2

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Thanks
Make sure you are using Output 2 on the Altitude16 as well. Output 1 is HDMI 1.4, which can deliver 4K at reduced bandwidth. Possible that the Disney or Netflix apps are looking at EDID info and blocking 4K unless they see a minimum standard.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Don't have Roon :frown:
I have been using JRMC for many years and am familiar with it and generally happy with it. I tried Roon for 2 weeks as a trial but did not continue as I did not find that the sound was any better than JRMC and it is quite expensive considering how weak our local currency has become...
I did not think to try multichannel at the time
I have downloaded 5.1 files and tried playing them in JRiver via DLNA over the Network connection. I have also ripped 5.1 audio from BluRay audio discs. In both cases, when JRiver is streaming, I get 6 channels LCR, RS, LS, and LB but no LFE. If I put the same files in the library for Roon, they play perfectly as LCR, LS, RS, and S1 (LFE). I’ve posted on the JRiver forum but so far no one has come up with an answer, so I assume that most users aren’t using JRiver for MCH audio.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have notified Trinnov and they stated they would update their webpage ASAP - with information that _of course_ the Altitude16 and 32 are HDCP 2.2 compliant :) I already knew since I have tested HDCP 2.2 previously.

Update:
The webpage for Altitude16 updated at least. Webpage for Altitude32 still not updated.

Update2:
Webpage for Altitude32 also updated regarding HDCP 2.2

The HDCP 2.2 is a new board or our 2.0 can be upgraded via software

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
233 Posts
It’s all good now. Not sure what the issue was, maybe HDMI hand shaking? Star Wars 4K and HDR looks great. Less impressed with the soundtrack. Marvel films also look amazing!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have downloaded 5.1 files and tried playing them in JRiver via DLNA over the Network connection. I have also ripped 5.1 audio from BluRay audio discs. In both cases, when JRiver is streaming, I get 6 channels LCR, RS, LS, and LB but no LFE. If I put the same files in the library for Roon, they play perfectly as LCR, LS, RS, and S1 (LFE). I’ve posted on the JRiver forum but so far no one has come up with an answer, so I assume that most users aren’t using JRiver for MCH audio.
I got this reply from David Meyerowitz at Trinnov:
Hi Jose,

I'm not aware that any of the DLNA apps support multichannel. It was the case a few years ago that DLNA protocol did not support it but i'm not aware of any developments. Just having a quick Google around this still seems to be the case.

To be honest, with the release of Dolby Atmos music on Tidal, I think a dedicated server like a Roon Nucleus is the best option. With HDMI into the Altitude it will play anything you throw at it.

It seems to be a DLNA issue rather than a Trinnov or JRiver problem.
Guess we will have to spend money on Roon...:)

·
Registered
21,126 Posts
Hi Jose,

I'm not aware that any of the DLNA apps support multichannel. It was the case a few years ago that DLNA protocol did not support it but i'm not aware of any developments. Just having a quick Google around this still seems to be the case.

To be honest, with the release of Dolby Atmos music on Tidal, I think a dedicated server like a Roon Nucleus is the best option. With HDMI into the Altitude it will play anything you throw at it.

Almost 5 years ago I switched from JRiver to ROON! When I had JRiver, I did hi-res 5.1 channel but via HDMI into my then Theta Casablanca SSP. But ROON Ready via ethernet is SO MUCH better sounding than via HDMI thanks to ROON and the ROON Ready Trinnov SSPs!

You should also look at Small Green Computer, which does its own optimization of Linux with the Sonicorbiter system and you get more for less $$ than buying a ROON server. For multi-channel hi-resolution, get the Sonic Transporter i7 model at minimum, which I use (I had the i5, however, with multi-channel hi-res I found some hiccups). The i7 is not the current model available on the website, its discontinued but works great, the current model is the i9.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi Jose,

I can say for sure that JRiver will do MCH audio from Flac but when playing to the Trinnov the .1 LFE channel doesn't get mapped because it is coming in as the Left Back channel and not LFE. I haven't tested sending to my Oppo to see of the same thing happens. If so, it's a JRiver problem.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The HDCP 2.2 is a new board or our 2.0 can be upgraded via software

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HDCP 2.2 does not require a new board; it is applicable to the existing HDMI 2.0 board which has been with us for years.

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
HDCP 2.2 does not require a new board; it is applicable to the existing HDMI 2.0 board which has been with us for years.

On the other hand, for those of us that were early Altitude 32 buyers in the first few years, some of us still have the original HDMI 1.4 board, and with many using a Lumagen to feed a separate display chain with the Altitude just doing audio. In that case, it might be worth waiting for Trinnov to roll out its new partnership with Cypress and get the SOTA HDMI 2.1 board (assuming Trinnov has an upgrade path for interested A32 owners):

https://www.trinnov.com/2020/05/18/trinnov-announces-partnership-with-cypress-technology-cyp-in-preparation-for-hdmi-2-1/

·
Registered
42 Posts
Almost 5 years ago I switched from JRiver to ROON! When I had JRiver, I did hi-res 5.1 channel but via HDMI into my then Theta Casablanca SSP. But ROON Ready via ethernet is SO MUCH better sounding than via HDMI thanks to ROON and the ROON Ready Trinnov SSPs!

You should also look at Small Green Computer, which does its own optimization of Linux with the Sonicorbiter system and you get more for less $$ than buying a ROON server. For multi-channel hi-resolution, get the Sonic Transporter i7 model at minimum, which I use (I had the i5, however, with multi-channel hi-res I found some hiccups). The i7 is not the current model available on the website, its discontinued but works great, the current model is the i9.
I actually ordered an Intel NUC8i5 this morning to set up a Roon ROCK. I will be curious to see how it works out.
I tried the Roon trial and compared a few tracks via JRiver (DLNA) and Roon (Trinnov input), both via network audio and cannot say with certainty that Roon was better. It was by no means an exhaustive comparison and I heard enough to give Roon a proper setup. What clinched it was that I could not play quite a few high-res multichannel albums via JRiver DLNA.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can say for sure that JRiver will do MCH audio from Flac but when playing to the Trinnov the .1 LFE channel doesn't get mapped because it is coming in as the Left Back channel and not LFE. I haven't tested sending to my Oppo to see of the same thing happens. If so, it's a JRiver problem.
Yes JRiver does output 6 channels for 5.1 tracks but I can only get 2 channels showing in the Trinnov audio input when setting it to auto, legacy or native. JRiver MC 26 audio path shows that it is putting out 6 channels

11941 - 11960 of 12306 Posts