AVS Forum banner

11981 - 12000 of 12331 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
I know it’s been said many times on the thread before, but I just wanted to say again what amazing customer service trinnov provide. I emailed Antoine Selle last night at 11 pm (midnight in France) because the altitude had not booted up properly a few times. He got back to me in a few minutes, looked at the machine on line and reinstalled the firmware as a fix.
I have never had service like this from any other manufacturer.
Thanks Antoine 😀

·
Registered
995 Posts
We are finalizing speaker placement for my Atmos 9.4.4 theater (20 feet long, 2 rows), Altitude 16, so the front 2 subs get their own channel, but back 2 will share one channel.

It was brought up I should have 2 pairs of side surrounds (not 1), as row 2 will be significantly disadvantaged since the side-surrounds are aligned with row 1. Unfortunately, the theatre is prewired and processor channel count maxed. So this would need to be an array of 4 side-surround speakers.

Is it worth doing this ? Obviously an array is less than ideal since the sound will be jumping and more “smeared” ex during front to back pans. But the incremental cost won’t be terrible (ie 2 more speakers) and if the net benefit is significant, it will be worth it to me.

·
Registered
502 Posts
We are finalizing speaker placement for my Atmos 9.4.4 theater (20 feet long, 2 rows), Altitude 16, so the front 2 subs get their own channel, but back 2 will share one channel.

It was brought up I should have 2 pairs of side surrounds (not 1), as row 2 will be significantly disadvantaged since the side-surrounds are aligned with row 1. Unfortunately, the theatre is prewired and processor channel count maxed. So this would need to be an array of 4 side-surround speakers.

Is it worth doing this ? Obviously an array is less than ideal since the sound will be jumping and more “smeared” ex during front to back pans. But the incremental cost won’t be terrible (ie 2 more speakers) and if the net benefit is significant, it will be worth it to me.

If you can, do it now. Assuming that your rear speakers are positioned properly, you would need to place the SS in between the two rows to get the effect to them. Instead, you can position the SS for each row according to Trinnov guidelines and each row will get a more immersive experience. I have a similar setup and had to array for a different reason and don’t regret it one bit. Also, if you are watching mostly movies, then consider placing all the subs on one channel as you are not gaining very much by creating a stereo sub configuration up front but losing two channels on the output side of the processor. Instead, you could then consider adding a VOG in between your front and rear heights.

·
Registered
233 Posts
What is the best (lossless) way to watch amazon prime, Netflix and Disney through the trinnov? I’m currently using a 4k fire stick and the signal comes in as showing 4K, HDR and Dolby atmos. Am I missing something instead of having say an Apple 4K box, other than the Apple movie store?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
What is the best (lossless) way to watch amazon prime, Netflix and Disney through the trinnov? I’m currently using a 4k fire stick and the signal comes in as showing 4K, HDR and Dolby atmos. Am I missing something instead of having say an Apple 4K box, other than the Apple movie store?
Thanks
You will never be able to get lossless audio from any of the streaming services. They are all Atmos with Dolby Digital+.

Benefit of Apple 4K is that it supports switching framerate according to source. Don't think the others support this.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks
I use Nvidia shield TV Pro.

Nvidia's audio is pass through so Trinnov will handle them. That is the reason I bought it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I use Nvidia shield TV Pro.

Nvidia's audio is pass through so Trinnov will handle them. That is the reason I bought it.
As mentioned; for the audio to be decoded to PCM from Dolby Digital+ while keeping the Atmos parts (like with Apple TV 4K) does not make any difference in audio quality.

Edit:
Actually the decoding to PCM does not happen when using Netflix on Apple TV 4K. But for all other streaming services it does. This is how it looks with Netflix on the Altitude32. Hence the Apple TV 4K is capable of sending TrueHD stream with Atmos. I thought everything was converted to PCM. HBO and Amazon are converted to PCM.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,810 Posts
As mentioned; for the audio to be decoded to PCM from Dolby Digital+ while keeping the Atmos parts (like with Apple TV 4K) does not make any difference in audio quality.

Edit:

Actually the decoding to PCM does not happen when using Netflix on Apple TV 4K. But for all other streaming services it does. This is how it looks with Netflix on the Altitude32. Hence the Apple TV 4K is capable of sending TrueHD stream with Atmos. I thought everything was converted to PCM. HBO and Amazon are converted to PCM.

As I have mentioned before this seems to be a bug with the Trinnov display screen.

The Apple TV is sending Atmos MAT as PCM on Netflix..

If you are playing back an Atmos show from Amazon (Jack Ryan, Carnival Row, etc) you should see the same thing...

Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
As I have mentioned before this seems to be a bug with the Trinnov display screen.

The Apple TV is sending Atmos MAT as PCM on Netflix..

If you are playing back an Atmos show from Amazon (Jack Ryan, Carnival Row, etc) you should see the same thing...

Am I missing something here?
I did a test here; you are right. But this is not a bug, it is according to requirements from Dolby according to Trinnov.

·
Registered
8,810 Posts
I did a test here; you are right. But this is not a bug, it is according to requirements from Dolby according to Trinnov.

Neither my Marantz 8805 or my Monoprice HTP-1 report TrueHD when receiving Atmos PCM MAT (nor did my “old” Yamaha Aventage 3080...)

The Marantz says Dolby Atmos... when playing back DD+ or TrueHD is shows them respectively(Dolby Atmos/Dolby Digital + for example.)

The HTP-1 say Dolby Atmos MAT

The Yamaha said Dolby Atmos/PCM

Maybe those examples are happening outside of the published “requirements” from Dolby....

It’s curious for sure.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Neither my Marantz 8805 or my Monoprice HTP-1 report TrueHD when receiving Atmos PCM MAT (nor did my “old” Yamaha Aventage 3080...)

The Marantz says Dolby Atmos... when playing back DD+ or TrueHD is shows them respectively(Dolby Atmos/Dolby Digital + for example.)

The HTP-1 say Dolby Atmos MAT

The Yamaha said Dolby Atmos/PCM

Maybe those examples are happening outside of the published “requirements” from Dolby....

It’s curious for sure.
I'm also slightly confused by displaying TrueHD/Atmos when it is in fact Atmos MAT - I don't think this is the correct way of doing it, but there has been a change in implementation from Trinnov here - and I suspect it is not a mistake. I however struggle to see the logic here as stated.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Roon 5.1 DSF file playback question

Can the altitude's Roon play multichannel dsf files without any additional conversion? I seem to have read that it is possible. Tia.

·
Registered
21,128 Posts
!

Can the altitude's Roon play multichannel dsf files without any additional conversion? I seem to have read that it is possible. Tia.
Yes. When I rip SACDs I then convert the ISO files to DSF, using my "old" copy of JRiver MC. Its still good for something HA

Reactions: CP850-CLED

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
No, you need to convert to PCM. Roon supports this. Actually no need change any settings, Roon knows it needs to convert to PCM and will do this automatically.

·
Registered
275 Posts
No, you need to convert to PCM. Roon supports this. Actually no need change any settings, Roon knows it needs to convert to PCM and will do this automatically.

Roon will auto-downsample DSD to 24/176 MCH for the Trinnov but it takes a fair amount of processing power to do so. I find that for DSD it isn't much of a problem but as you go up the chain to 2xDSD and 4xDSD you're really pushing the processor on the Roon Core. I had a 7th gen i7 NUC that couldn't handle 2xDSD MCH down sampling without hiccups. I upgraded to a 8th gen i7 but it didn't help. I am now running an i9 SonicTransporter and it does fine with even 4xDSD downsampling. It is in a fanless case and it gets quite warm.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Roon will auto-downsample DSD to 24/176 MCH for the Trinnov but it takes a fair amount of processing power to do so. I find that for DSD it isn't much of a problem but as you go up the chain to 2xDSD and 4xDSD you're really pushing the processor on the Roon Core. I had a 7th gen i7 NUC that couldn't handle 2xDSD MCH down sampling without hiccups. I upgraded to a 8th gen i7 but it didn't help. I am now running an i9 SonicTransporter and it does fine with even 4xDSD downsampling. It is in a fanless case and it gets quite warm.
I have a Roon Nucleus+. MCH DSD works fine. I have not tried 2xDSD and 4xDSD in MCH, but works fine in stereo at least.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a Roon Nucleus+. MCH DSD works fine. I have not tried 2xDSD and 4xDSD in MCH, but works fine in stereo at least.
I don't know the processor in Nucleus+ but you might get 2xDSD MCH to work sometimes, depending on how dynamic the music is, but I suspect it will be fairly unstable at 4xDSD MCH based on my experience with ROCK on NUC 8i7.

11981 - 12000 of 12331 Posts