AVS Forum banner

12021 - 12040 of 12311 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,653 Posts
I also tried Neural for grins and 100% agree! I'm not the biggest fan of Neural anyway ;) It's kind of weird seeing DTS-MA showing as the primary format but Atmos has TrueHD as core so maybe not that weird. I also expected to see Auro3D proudly displayed like one gets with Atmos. Instead it's the core followed by "/Auro3D". Not easily seen on the ipad with DTS-MA but changing to PCM gives enough space that "/Auro3D" is visible after PCM. Kind of strange that having the Oppo decode it as PCM first seems to retain whatever extensions Auro adds, maybe they don't use metadata? With Atmos & DTS-X, it only works with bitstreaming as the metadata gets dropped if the player decodes to PCM. I don't know how Auro is different but it seems to be :eek:

Select Auro3D in the drop menu, go to the meters, inputs are the correct Auro labels and outputs are the ones mapped as to the layout. I double-checked the sounds on some of the subtler ambience tracks with Solo and the overheads play as reported by the meters.

Thanks. However I am a fan of Neural X with for up-mixing of DTS movies. I really like it AND it makes my meter watching a more pleasant experience when most all of my 21 speakers are playing!!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Thanks. However I am a fan of Neural X with for up-mixing of DTS movies. I really like it AND it makes my meter watching a more pleasant experience when most all of my 21 speakers are playing!!
If you can playback native Auro3D on the releases supporting this, you should really not use Neural:X upmix - that would be destroying the audio :)

·
Premium Member
10,653 Posts
Is it possible for Trinnov Altitude to upgrade the overall hardware to a new one? Storm, Lyngdorf, THETA CASANOVA have the latest models

Each of those other models depend on hardware upgrades to make "improvements". The Trinnov, for the most part, is completely software driven so no need to "upgrade" hardware. That is one of a bazillion reasons the Trinnov is still the best processor on the planet. [And I have no strong feelings on this subject :rolleyes:]

·
Premium Member
10,653 Posts
If you can playback native Auro3D on the releases supporting this, you should really not use Neural:X upmix - that would be destroying the audio :)

The way it has worked so far is that the Auro disc shows up as DTS:X so either no up-sampling or Neural:X were the only options (and it does "destroy" the audio). I have yet to try the recommendations above.

·
Registered
667 Posts
After a lot of debate with my self I paced an order today for an 2 ampitude8m to run my triad gold lcr and surrounds was thinking in amplitude8 but i think not needed now keep it as an option of i change my speaker then ATI but even with extra cost I go for the amplitude to match my 32-16 altitude and support for trinnov they deserve for such great product the give us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
667 Posts
The way it has worked so far is that the Auro disc shows up as DTS:X so either no up-sampling or Neural:X were the only options (and it does "destroy" the audio). I have yet to try the recommendations above.

I was have red tells in native auro and it was show auro in my altitude agree with u about the demo disc i have the first version and it show dts i have some movies in auro must to check and come back

I miss the red tells movie i think the kids do some magic trick on it

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
After a lot of debate with my self I paced an order today for an 2 ampitude8m to run my triad gold lcr and surrounds was thinking in amplitude8 but i think not needed now keep it as an option of i change my speaker then ATI but even with extra cost I go for the amplitude to match my 32-16 altitude and support for trinnov they deserve for such great product the give us

I could be wrong, but the Amplitude power amps look suspiciously like ATI Signature amps with a different front facade plate. ATI builds a lot of products for various companies. You may have over spent for the Altitude name.

·
Registered
21,127 Posts
I could be wrong, but the Amplitude power amps look suspiciously like ATI Signature amps with a different front facade plate. ATI builds a lot of products for various companies.
The Trinnov amplifiers are built by ATI but to Trinnov specs including DB-25 connectors as well. Amplitude 8 are NCore 1200 modules (like Theta Digital Dreadnaught D). Amplitude 8m (like ATI 52XNC amps) are NCore 500 modules.

https://www.trinnov.com/amplitude-8/

https://www.trinnov.com/amplitude8m/

When I first met Trinnov's Jon Herron at CEDIA several years ago, he explained how the Trinnov Altitude SSPs and the Trinnov Amplitude amplifiers had a matching I think "gain" inherited from the Pro Audio world which is different than the consumer "gain" of the Theta/ATI amps, as this is speced by Trinnov. Jon explained the benefits of this. But frankly my memory ain't as good as I wish it would and I don't recall the specifics or even if the term "gain" is correct. Certainly someone can chime in here and better explain.

Reactions: Dan Hitchman

·
Registered
667 Posts
The Trinnov amplifiers are built by ATI but to Trinnov specs including DB-25 connectors as well. Amplitude 8 are NCore 1200 modules (like Theta Digital Dreadnaught D). Amplitude 8m (like ATI 52XNC amps) are NCore 500 modules.

https://www.trinnov.com/amplitude-8/

https://www.trinnov.com/amplitude8m/

When I first met Trinnov's Jon Herron at CEDIA several years ago, he explained how the Trinnov Altitude SSPs and the Trinnov Amplitude amplifiers had a matching I think "gain" inherited from the Pro Audio world which is different than the consumer "gain" of the Theta/ATI amps, as this is speced by Trinnov. Jon explained the benefits of this. But frankly my memory ain't as good as I wish it would and I don't recall the specifics or even if the term "gain" is correct. Certainly someone can chime in here and better explain.

That’s the reason and i had call with jhon he explains a lot for me and the DB-25 which i will use and also i love to support the trinnov name and thanks them for there great product

I remember he spoke about gain match and noise level not sure exactly but it’s lower than the ATI 5xxx series

·
Registered
21,127 Posts
That’s the reason and i had call with jhon he explains a lot for me and the DB-25 which i will use and also i love to support the trinnov name and thanks them for there great product

I remember he spoke about gain match and noise level not sure exactly but it’s lower than the ATI 5xxx series

Yes you got it! Now I had originally planned to keep 3 Theta Digital Prometheus monoblocks (XLR analog connectors) (NCore 12oo modules) and also an ATI 526NC 6 channel amplifier (also XLR connectors) (NCore 500 modules) and also add a Trinnov Amplitude 8 (NCore 1200 modules) and a Trinnov Amplitude 8m (NCore 500 modules). Jpn Herron explained that the Trinnov SSPs auto adjust gain for these different amps. However, I recently sold the ATI amp, have up for sale the Prometheus monoblocks, as I decided to "hide" all amplifiers in my component closet in back of the renovated theater, and also this way I get the benefits of the gain match and reduced noise level via the Trinnov specs for the amps as built by ATI!

Reactions: Mike_WI and A7mad78

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yes you got it! Now I had originally planned to keep 3 Theta Digital Prometheus monoblocks (XLR analog connectors) (NCore 12oo modules) and also an ATI 526NC 6 channel amplifier (also XLR connectors) (NCore 500 modules) and also add a Trinnov Amplitude 8 (NCore 1200 modules) and a Trinnov Amplitude 8m (NCore 500 modules). Jpn Herron explained that the Trinnov SSPs auto adjust gain for these different amps. However, I recently sold the ATI amp, have up for sale the Prometheus monoblocks, as I decided to "hide" all amplifiers in my component closet in back of the renovated theater, and also this way I get the benefits of the gain match and reduced noise level via the Trinnov specs for the amps as built by ATI!

One of the major thing I have plan to renovation my entire theater from ground zero and add another amplitude8 to handle the LCR which still not decide which rote but this just a plan now so i will enjoy my setup and hope the delivery not take much and see the dream theater how it will look now happy with triad gold setup 9.4.6 but the renovation is the next big thing hope it come soon

·
Registered
21,127 Posts
One of the major thing I have plan to renovation my entire theater from ground zero and add another amplitude8 to handle the LCR which still not decide which rote but this just a plan now so i will enjoy my setup and hope the delivery not take much and see the dream theater how it will look now happy with triad gold setup 9.4.6 but the renovation is the next big thing hope it come soon
I'm sure your theater renovation and upgrade will look and sound very, very nice.

·
Registered
21,127 Posts
Thank you steve for ur nice word u too u have the advantage of looong expert in A/V world than me

I'm afraid I have been "long in the tooth" with an awful lot to learn this past year, things have changed and progressed so darn much. My advise - DO NOT buy a Trinnov SSP (or a Trinnov Amethyst DAC-preamp if only stereo with subwoofers concerns you) - it leads down a dark and costly path! :):):)

·
Registered
12,721 Posts
I managed to catch the Trinnov webinar today. It was a little shorter since the videos wouldn't run. Jon mentioned the gain matching; I submitted a background question but it was not addressed. Optimizing the gain through the signal chain can be a little tricky and also depends upon your speakers, room, and listening level (volume( so just matching preamp to amp does not guarantee the greatest dynamic range. Fortunately that's a fair amount of leeway (margin) in an audio system, signal levels and gains tend to be roughly the same among consumer components, and you have trims to tweak individual channels, so it is not usually a problem.

I had some background banter and then tried to goad Jon into discussing their bass management philosophy but he didn't take the bait. :) He referred me to the bass management webinar, but I could not find a link to that on their website or YouTube channel with brief search; anybody have that link handy? That is one I missed, and the Optimizer one I really (REALLY) wanted to hear I only caught bits and pieces of (sucks when Work interrupts Life).

My SDP-75 continues to impress. I am considering adding Atmos height speakers (not easy in my room) and continuing to ponder subwoofer setup. Work has been ugly (70-80 hours) he past few weeks so not had much time to listen let alone tweak.

·
Registered
21,127 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Anyone care to share their Presets strategy ? How many do you create ? Are they 2.0 / 5.1 etc ? Any other differences ? Is there a source or archive of Target Curves which could be used to start the search for the best one for my room ?

~M~

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Anyone care to share their Presets strategy ? How many do you create ? Are they 2.0 / 5.1 etc ? Any other differences ? Is there a source or archive of Target Curves which could be used to start the search for the best one for my room ?

~M~
I had a bunch of presets. Now I mainly use one. For music I have listening mode = Native, and for everything else i have listening mode = upmix on native. For the few times I need Auro3D; I manually select this. I have moved from an extremely complicated setup to a simple one - never looked back :)

12021 - 12040 of 12311 Posts