AVS Forum banner

13721 - 13740 of 13862 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Stu: Are you talking about the cost of their 5 year extended warranty program? Anyone know if that program applied to the A16.
I'd imagine it will once the first A16s get to five years old (presumably it has a little profit, but also helps drive confidence for new sales), but that is still ~ 30 months away? I hadn't seen details here, but on the UK forum the following was posted by dealer The Sound Counsel:

The broad strokes are that it will include, general inspection, backup of the unit, upgrade of the processor, mother board, CPU, RAM, heatsinks, firewire board & bracket.

The units will also get a new OLED screen, toroidal transformer & top cover. Then it will have a complete settings restore, test and a brand new box.

There are two prices and one includes the addition of the HDMI board upgrade these are;

Altitude 32 non HDMI - £3550
Altitude 32 with HDMI board upgrade - £4450
Have Trinnov USA announced pricing etc?

·
Premium Member
11,222 Posts
^^

Surprisingly, I'll beat you to the needle! Diane & I are signed up 1-11 & 1-12. Our health care system sent out bulk emails after midnight to schedule appts; we jumped on it this AM. Slots & locations were filling up but we got in early enough to be "shot" at the location 10 min drive away. Half-way to being 95% COVID "safe".

I'll soon be ready for a Wisdom demo in your properly-treated & perfectly calibrated room :cool:...then I'll come home to my Maggies & hopefully not shed too many tears! :cry:
Let me know if you get a lollipop if you don't cry?

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
I'd imagine it will once the first A16s get to five years old (presumably it has a little profit, but also helps drive confidence for new sales), but that is still ~ 30 months away? I hadn't seen details here, but on the UK forum the following was posted by dealer The Sound Counsel:

Have Trinnov USA announced pricing etc?
Not publicly. I'm guessing the cost also depends on the age of the Altitude 32. Meaning that there's a difference in upgrade price for, say, a 2015 Altitude 32 like mine compared to one that someone bought two years ago depending on what would get brought up to 2021 standards.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Has anyone heard about the imax enhanced update? I know sparechange posted he’d had it on his, but since everything had gone quiet. Seems strange why every other processor now has it but trinnov don’t, they’re usually first to the gun with new codecs.

In reality it doesn’t matter too much as very few releases, but would be nice to have as my old 8805 had a big bump in performance for Bad Boys for Life with it engaged.
I'm also very interested in this Imax update and have asked about it before.

Anyone have any information?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Does the amplitude 8 have rack ears? I see its 131 lbs. curious how people are installing in their rack. Thank you

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm also very interested in this Imax update and have asked about it before.

Anyone have any information?
I emailed the very amazing Antoine about an old issue I had and also ask asked about Imax.

He says the IMAX update is ready and in the hands of DTS for certification.

As soon as its certified it will be available as an update. So I guess will be coming soon.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I emailed the very amazing Antoine about an old issue I had and also ask asked about Imax.

He says the IMAX update is ready and in the hands of DTS for certification.

As soon as its certified it will be available as an update. So I guess will be coming soon.
Soon? Certification process from DTS can take "some" time ;)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I have an 8M and it shipped with rack ears, so I would imagine the 8 must have them, as well.
Both 8 and 8M got rack ears. I got my 8M with them mounted, the 8 came with them in the box (not mounted). So they are shipped with them always, either mounted or in the box.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Does the amplitude 8 have rack ears? I see its 131 lbs. curious how people are installing in their rack. Thank you
Important to have good room space above both the 8 and 8M. In my setup the 8M generates much more heat than the 8.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thanks guys. I didn’t see on the website that it shipped with rack ears. I see that it does. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Must be an error in the weight. The comparable ATI amp weighs 65 12 lbs.

Jeff
the Trinnov Amplitude 8 is x2 of the ATi AT544NC's put together with 2 power cords. so it ought to weigh close to double.

·
Registered
21,357 Posts
I emailed Jon Herron asking him about the warranty upgrade program and whether my Altitude 32, purchased Sept 2018, is current in terms of hardware. His response:

"Hi Steve,
This warranty upgrade program is only available once the unit has passed its original 5-year warranty. You still have some time on yours. The rebuild is extensive and includes a new Linux PC and SSD, as well as any other internal parts that are not up to current production standards. The sole exception is the HDMI board, in which case replacing it is an extra-cost option. (Not everyone needs to do so since many of our customers also own Lumagen processors, for example, and do their HDMI switching there.) We have not finalized pricing on it, as there are more variables than you might expect. The plan is to ship people like yourself an empty box with all packaging (assuming you have long since lost yours), to schedule a pickup, to schedule the service work, to do a complete backup of your system prior to doing the work, to swap out everything that is in any way not up to current spec (including a new faceplate with a new OLED display!), to do a full factory test-bench QC test, to restore your presets (etc.), to do a software update, and then to pack it up and return to you. It's a lot of work. We will have to schedule the North America warranty extension/upgrades here in CT at no more than 1-2 per week. This is one reason why we are insisting that people wait until their warranty has expired… doing so will automatically pace things somewhat. As I say, the price is not yet finalized. But we aim to keep it under $5000. Including the HDMI board may take it a bit over $5k. For that sum, you will be getting what amounts to a new Altitude32, recycling only the chassis and things that have never changed, as well as a new five-year warranty that starts from the date we send it back to you. Having said all of that, I took a quick look in our database and your unit appears to be up to date except for software. I can update that whenever it is convenient for you to have me do so, and we will automatically do so as part of the hardware upgrade.
Best,
Jon"

·
Registered
146 Posts
Soon? Certification process from DTS can take "some" time ;)
I've asked here a couple of times before about this Imax update, as have others, and never been a single reply.

I asked Trinnov last year and they were still working on it in their lab. So seemed to me good news and progress its actually completed and at the final stage of certification with DTS.

If you have more information here about a realistic timeframe for this Imax update then please provide!

·
Registered
21,357 Posts
Jon Herron just emailed me simply that its all done and at IMAX awaiting their certification/approval and other than that he has no idea what their holdup is.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Dunno but it sounds like grounds for Apple to sue. :)

Reactions: llang269

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
What exactly does this iMax feature do?
On the audio side, it's based on DTS-X Pro with a non-standard bass management scheme. Rather than me stumbling with the details, here's some explanations of how it's supposed to work with changes to using full range speakers & LFE:

The highdefdigest articles are written by Josh Zyber.

AFAIK, there are a limited number of movies that have Imax Enhanced and a few Imax docs of course.

On the video side, I believe it's a set of Imax standards or certification, maybe akin to what THX did in their heyday.

·
Registered
96 Posts
On the audio side, it's based on DTS-X Pro with a non-standard bass management scheme. Rather than me stumbling with the details, here's some explanations of how it's supposed to work with changes to using full range speakers & LFE:

The highdefdigest articles are written by Josh Zyber.

AFAIK, there are a limited number of movies that have Imax Enhanced and a few Imax docs of course.

On the video side, I believe it's a set of Imax standards or certification, maybe akin to what THX did in their heyday.
very limited number of release at the moment, Bad Boys for Life, Angry Birds 2, Jumanji 2 and Charlie’s Angels 2 is about it!!

But, Sony were claiming they’d be releasing around 150 movies in the next 12 months......since thats claim they’ve not released any!! 🙈🙄

13721 - 13740 of 13862 Posts