AVS Forum banner

13741 - 13760 of 13862 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
the Trinnov Amplitude 8 is x2 of the ATi AT544NC's put together with 2 power cords. so it ought to weigh close to double.
Does the amplitude 8 achieve its power rating by bridging the modules? I’ve read elsewhere on the forums that some speakers, that dip down to 3-4 ohms, don’t cooperate well with bridged amplifiers. Is this a valid statement? My aerial acoustics dip down to 3 ohms, which concerns me for use with the amplitude 8 or the ATI 54* NC series.

Any thoughts? I am searching for higher power for my LCR’s.

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
I emailed Jon Herron asking him about the warranty upgrade program and whether my Altitude 32, purchased Sept 2018, is current in terms of hardware. His response:

"Hi Steve,
This warranty upgrade program is only available once the unit has passed its original 5-year warranty. You still have some time on yours. The rebuild is extensive and includes a new Linux PC and SSD, as well as any other internal parts that are not up to current production standards. The sole exception is the HDMI board, in which case replacing it is an extra-cost option. (Not everyone needs to do so since many of our customers also own Lumagen processors, for example, and do their HDMI switching there.) We have not finalized pricing on it, as there are more variables than you might expect. The plan is to ship people like yourself an empty box with all packaging (assuming you have long since lost yours), to schedule a pickup, to schedule the service work, to do a complete backup of your system prior to doing the work, to swap out everything that is in any way not up to current spec (including a new faceplate with a new OLED display!), to do a full factory test-bench QC test, to restore your presets (etc.), to do a software update, and then to pack it up and return to you. It's a lot of work. We will have to schedule the North America warranty extension/upgrades here in CT at no more than 1-2 per week. This is one reason why we are insisting that people wait until their warranty has expired… doing so will automatically pace things somewhat. As I say, the price is not yet finalized. But we aim to keep it under $5000. Including the HDMI board may take it a bit over $5k. For that sum, you will be getting what amounts to a new Altitude32, recycling only the chassis and things that have never changed, as well as a new five-year warranty that starts from the date we send it back to you. Having said all of that, I took a quick look in our database and your unit appears to be up to date except for software. I can update that whenever it is convenient for you to have me do so, and we will automatically do so as part of the hardware upgrade.
Best,
Jon"
This is really fantastic news as far as future upgrades. The value of the Trinnov is it's software. As the computer modules get older, replacement with current then new production hardware at a reasonable price. Further as software evolves I am sure there will be software upgrades at a possible reasonable charge. This will make the Altitude upgradeable for a very long time. Well done Trinnov.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I was thinking maybe SONY Reality 360 and NHK 22.2 could be future codecs for Trinnov to optionally add since SONY is doubling down on the format, soon there may be home audio playback, it is based on an exciting Fraunhofer institute rendering algorithm that I had a chance to experience on headphones and it is really a full circle of sound, what a better device for home playback than the Altitude? NHK 22.2 would only apply in Japan so a lesser viable market but it shares the DTS-X Pro layout so there is a possibility there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
With potentially changing speakers, I’m also considering a slight layout change for my ceiling speakers.

Ive currently got an Atmos layout, pretty much exact as their specifications in a 9.4.6 system.

After reading the trinnov white paper, and changing to Ceiling speakers that I’d find easier to hide due to their depth, I’m now considering their recommendation for DTSX pro/auro 3d which basically uses the pair of rear speakers as they currently are, removes the pair of top middles, replacing it with a central VOG speaker and then changing the pair of top fronts to three speakers closer to my screen in line with my LCR.

Doing the above will give me a fair amount of work. I’m watching most films with Neural X engaged, which my current setups works fine for, but I can see the benefit of the new layout, plus I’ve heard that the Auro 3D upmixer is the best of the three, at the moment, my setup doesn’t work for this at all, even with the 3D mapping enabled, it’s too far off spec.

Has anyone got much experience with the above layout or Auro 3D upmixer, if so, any thoughts will be great 👍🏻

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
very limited number of release at the moment, Bad Boys for Life, Angry Birds 2, Jumanji 2 and Charlie’s Angels 2 is about it!!

But, Sony were claiming they’d be releasing around 150 movies in the next 12 months......since thats claim they’ve not released any!! 🙈🙄
Sounds similar to claims by James Cameron when asked when The Abyss & True Lies would make it to Blu-ray (& 4K) - "I'll be working on it".

And Sony has their own Sony 360 now.

I always thought IMAX Enhanced would be just another checkbox.

And while we're speaking of marketing checkboxes, the once-relevant THX was purchased in 2016 and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Razer, the gaming laptop & accessories company. They went from being a dominant force in studios, cinema and home AV to creating pseudo-surround algorithms for Razer headphones (THX Spatial Audio). You can purchase the app for other headphones but many of the companies making gaming headphones have their own (Sennheiser, Audeze/Moebius, Creative, SteelSeries, Logitech, etc). Plus you can get "Dolby Atmos" & "DTS-X For Headphones" apps for PC's to use. So Razer is about the only company that uses it! A great example of how the mighty have fallen.

Count me ambivalent if/when Trinnov releases IMAX-E. Its bass management doesn't correspond to other established audio formats so what's the point other than creating more presets ;) And for only several movies & docs.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
I was thinking maybe SONY Reality 360 and NHK 22.2 could be future codecs for Trinnov to optionally add since SONY is doubling down on the format, soon there may be home audio playback, it is based on an exciting Fraunhofer institute rendering algorithm that I had a chance to experience on headphones and it is really a full circle of sound, what a better device for home playback than the Altitude? NHK 22.2 would only apply in Japan so a lesser viable market but it shares the DTS-X Pro layout so there is a possibility there.
Sony 360 makes IMAX Enhanced even more niche...irrelevant?

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
Question for you guys...I have a Bluray of Holst's The Planets in DTS-MA 4.0 and 192 kHz that I was trying to play from my Oppo 203 with the Altitude. I turned off 3D remapping and put the upmixer in Native mode, and I just get skips. That was with both bitstream and LPCM audio format from the Oppo. And likewise if I play the LPCM stereo track from the BD with the output going to the Altitude in the LPCM audio output. No change if I do a boot cycle for both the Oppo and the Altitude.

Has anyone else run into this issue with the Oppo/Altitude 32 combination? I'd have thought that by playing in native mode I could at least listen to the content. Back when Steve B. had mentioned issues with a Firewire card and 192 kHz content, but in the past I was able to play Neil Young's Rust Never Sleeps in 5.1 and 192 in both native and DSU. Haven't tested that content with more recent software on the Altitude, though.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Count me ambivalent when Trinnov releases it. Its bass management doesn't correspond to every other established audio format so what's the point other than creating more presets ;)
I see that you haven't played the second half in the second song of the Gentle Giant Three Piece Suite disc yet. ;) It has a full range drum solo panning around the room, it sounds way more vivid using the full range bass management (or lack of it) that IMAX espouses. What good are generally accepted practices if they compromise the net results as in this case?

Bass managing is a double edge sword if one is seeking ultimate concussive directionality. There is no substitute for hearing the bass from where the rest of the signal emanates, which means speakers that go low close to the forties. An added advantage for having the extended low range across all speakers is that whenever Optimizer II or III can support active room correction having all suitably capable woofers (so well distributed about the room) interact will be room correction nirvana.;)

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
I see that you haven't played the second half in the second song of the Gentle Giant Three Piece Suite disc yet. ;) It has a full range drum solo panning around the room, it sounds way more vivid using the full range bass management (or lack of it) that IMAX espouses. What good are generally accepted practices if they compromise the net results as in this case?
Nope, I haven't been able to buy the darn thing! Amazon UK out of stock, UK sellers not shipping to US, Amazon US "currently unavailable", been to specialty music sites - Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Discs, ImportCD - backordered so still looking :) Can't buy Octopus either. I had both ready to buy at Amazon UK but won't ship to US. If you have a reliable source that has it in stock, please let me know.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Does the amplitude 8 achieve its power rating by bridging the modules? I’ve read elsewhere on the forums that some speakers, that dip down to 3-4 ohms, don’t cooperate well with bridged amplifiers. Is this a valid statement? My aerial acoustics dip down to 3 ohms, which concerns me for use with the amplitude 8 or the ATI 54* NC series.

I thought I knew the answer to this question but my aging memory may be hazy. To assure ample power below 4 ohms, I would recommend an amp based on Hypex NC1200 modules like Theta Digital's Dreadnaught D.

Jeff

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Question for you guys...I have a Bluray of Holst's The Planets in DTS-MA 4.0 and 192 kHz that I was trying to play from my Oppo 203 with the Altitude. I turned off 3D remapping and put the upmixer in Native mode, and I just get skips. That was with both bitstream and LPCM audio format from the Oppo. And likewise if I play the LPCM stereo track from the BD with the output going to the Altitude in the LPCM audio output. No change if I do a boot cycle for both the Oppo and the Altitude.

Has anyone else run into this issue with the Oppo/Altitude 32 combination? I'd have thought that by playing in native mode I could at least listen to the content. Back when Steve B. had mentioned issues with a Firewire card and 192 kHz content, but in the past I was able to play Neil Young's Rust Never Sleeps in 5.1 and 192 in both native and DSU. Haven't tested that content with more recent software on the Altitude, though.
Yes, with Oppo 205 & Sony UHD players with Alt16. Plus no BD-A disc in 2.0/4.0/5.1 192/24 will play as DTS-MA or LPCM. I get "unsupported word clock" and no sound. I discovered this when trying to play the WB Quadio box sets of Chicago & Doobie Brothers (the original quad mixes). Then I got out several 2L & Pure Audio BD-A discs I have and the same no audio.

I had to learn how to unencrypt & rip the discs (thanks to audioguy!) of both Quadio box sets of Chicago & Doobie Brothers to 4.0 96/24 FLAC files and put them in Roon and all of those play fine. All these discs play perfectly with the Marantz 8802 and Oppo 203 but nada with the Alt16. Disappointing but at least I learned how to rip encrypted BD-A discs. Otherwise I couldn't use the Altitude with them.

Can't handle the multichannel 192/24? What's weird is that I thought your Alt 32 is supposed to support 192/24. Can it not handle 5.1 192/24?

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
Yes, with Oppo 205 & Sony UHD players with Alt16. Plus no BD-A disc in 2.0/4.0/5.1 192/24 will play as DTS-MA or LPCM. I get "unsupported word clock" and no sound. I discovered this when trying to play the WB Quadio box sets of Chicago & Doobie Brothers (the original quad mixes). Then I got out several 2L & Pure Audio BD-A discs I have and the same no audio.

I had to learn how to unencrypt & rip the discs (thanks to audioguy!) of both Quadio box sets of Chicago & Doobie Brothers to 4.0 96/24 FLAC files and put them in Roon and all of those play fine. All these discs play perfectly with the Marantz 8802 and Oppo 203 but nada with the Alt16. Disappointing but at least I learned how to rip encrypted BD-A discs. Otherwise I couldn't use the Altitude with them.

Can't handle the multichannel 192/24. What's weird is that I thought your Alt 32 is supposed to support 192/24. Can it not handle 5.1 192/24?
It does, i.e. the Neil Young Rust Never Sleeps BD I mentioned. That's 5.1 192/24. It worked fine with DSU and in Native mode, the last time I tried it was back in 2017 or 2018. In fact, I even wrote about that in this thread in the context of needing to turn off 3D remapping. I'll have to find the disc and try it now to verify that it (still) works.

Good to know, unfortunately. Looks like I'll be following in your footsteps. FWIW I put on a couple of Steve Wilson DVDs in 5.1 and 24/96 and it plays with no problem, even if you can't use Neural:X with them. I'm just surprised that the 4.0 content as well as the stereo sent from the Oppo and output as LPCM (as opposed to bitstream) hiccuped.

Edit: now Neil Young 5.1 in 192/24 doesn't work either. Tried the same trouble shooting - turning off 3D remapping, playing in native mode, tying both bitstream and LPCM, and I noticed that I'm showing CPU overload. Which went away when I put on Jethro Tull's Benefit in 5.1 96/24, with plenty of clock headroom.

My guess is that a) there's additional overhead in the software that might not have been there when I tried this in 2017 and b) I need a processor upgrade after all or more RAM. Remember I have an original 2015 Altitude 32, and it's possible that Chuck's A32 has more firepower in this case where it counts.

Good thing there ARE workarounds with some thinking, at least in the short term.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
^^
As I found, multichannel 96/24 is different than 192/24. In my case, the Alt16 is limited to 96/24 and it apparently doesn't either have the cpu (i3) to handle the downsample or didn't recognize the clock to begin with. In your case, the 32 does support 192/24 so I would have expected it to play the tracks. Apparently, it's not as simple as that, perhaps also dealing with DTS-MA decoding pushed it over the edge.

Chuck showed me how to use Makemkv & DVD Extractor to do the downsample and conversion to 96/24 flac files. I also used Audiomuxer for several albums since I was having problems getting DVD Extractor to work for me (it was user error on my part). Audiomuxer gives you more control and features but has more steps & more complex. DVD Extractor (once I learned how to make it work thanks to Chuck), easier to use than Audiomuxer.

Put them in Roon as 96/24 or have Roon downsample to 96/24 and your problem goes away.

·
Registered
21,357 Posts

No bridging! The Amplitude 8 uses the same Hypex/NCore 1200 modules used in the Theta Dreadnaught D multi-channel and essentially is the same amplifier, except the gain is matched for the Amplitude 8 to that of the Trinnov SSPs AND the Amplitude 8 also has DB-25 connectors added. Also the same Hypex/NCore 1200 modules used in the Theta Prometheus monoblocks. No issue driving Aerials - I should know. HA! The ATI 54* NC series does bridge, but as far as not cooperating well with Aerials dipping down to 3 ohms that I don't know. You should call ATI-Theta Tech Support and talk to John Baloff and he can tell you.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
^^
As I found, multichannel 96/24 is different than 192/24. In my case, the Alt16 is limited to 96/24 and it apparently doesn't either have the cpu (i3) to handle the downsample or didn't recognize the clock to begin with. In your case, the 32 does support 192/24 so I would have expected it to play the tracks. Apparently, it's not as simple as that, perhaps also dealing with DTS-MA decoding pushed it over the edge.
That could very well be. But I'm surprised that the two-channel 24/192 didn't work even output as LPCM from the Oppo, though. Maybe it's the 4.0 aspect, and how the "extra" LPCM channels are output from the Oppo and interpreted by the Altitude that are the issue.

Anyway, I'll try your Makemkv/DVD Extractor solution. I don't have any other "quad" content but I'll probably wind up getting something else with this issue sooner or later.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Anyway, I'll try your Makemkv/DVD Extractor solution.
I didn't have problems figuring out how to use Makemkv but DVD Extractor I absolutely couldn't get to work at all, no matter what I tried. Documentation is threadbare, not non-existent but not illuminating either ;) Chuck sent me some screenshots and it was looking at those that the aha moment hit me. The one step I was missing was not intuitively obvious, to me anyway! So if you have problems let me know and we can review in a call :)

I couldn't play the 2.0 tracks either. Not as DTS-MA or as PCM from the Oppo. There aren't that many 192/24 music BD's but the few I had I hadn't gotten around to listening to or played them with the Marantz and didn't have a problem so never gave it a thought that the Altitude might choke on them.

BTW - I just thought of this. IIRC, Chuck could play the 4.0 192/24 discs with his Alt32 so you may want to PM him. It may be a disc issue or something else. Ripping them is still a good workaround.

·
Registered
Trinnov Altitude32 16/24, Amplitude 8m, Induction Dynamics ID1iw’s, S1iw, sw4iw, sw3 Wisdom ICS7A’s
27 Posts
With potentially changing speakers, I’m also considering a slight layout change for my ceiling speakers.

Ive currently got an Atmos layout, pretty much exact as their specifications in a 9.4.6 system.

After reading the trinnov white paper, and changing to Ceiling speakers that I’d find easier to hide due to their depth, I’m now considering their recommendation for DTSX pro/auro 3d which basically uses the pair of rear speakers as they currently are, removes the pair of top middles, replacing it with a central VOG speaker and then changing the pair of top fronts to three speakers closer to my screen in line with my LCR.

Doing the above will give me a fair amount of work. I’m watching most films with Neural X engaged, which my current setups works fine for, but I can see the benefit of the new layout, plus I’ve heard that the Auro 3D upmixer is the best of the three, at the moment, my setup doesn’t work for this at all, even with the 3D mapping enabled, it’s too far off spec.

Has anyone got much experience with the above layout or Auro 3D upmixer, if so, any thoughts will be great 👍🏻
I am in the process of finishing our theater with the trinnov recommendations. Once up and calibrated I will respond to your question. 1-2weeks😀

·
Registered
378 Posts
So the folks that have Roon, do you need both the 5.1 and the stereo version on the server, or can you downmix from the multichannel if you have a stereo endpoint in another room? TIA

·
Registered
317 Posts
You definitely can play a MCH track to a 2CH room but I don't know if Roon is actually downmixing or just sending the L/R channels.

13741 - 13760 of 13862 Posts