AVS Forum banner

13761 - 13780 of 13862 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Oh, I read downmixing, I wonder.
This is what shows in Roon when I send a 5.1 track to a 2CH endpoint. The question is, what does it mean? I would assume that since it uses the word re-mix that it must be remixing the sides and center into the L/R speakers.
Capture.PNG

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
You definitely can play a MCH track to a 2CH room but I don't know if Roon is actually downmixing or just sending the L/R channels.
Roon is downmixing.

I have both stereo and multichannel edition (ripped a bunch of SACD albums with both versions).

Reactions: CP850-CLED

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Solved then! awesome saves space on my pc SSD. Thanks!
I would keep both multichannel and stereo versions. Downmixing of multichannel version to stereo is not the same as stereo.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would keep both multichannel and stereo versions. Downmixing of multichannel version to stereo is not the same as stereo.
No? What would be the difference? Never liked stereo too much anyway.:D it would be for casual listening in a house zone.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
No? What would be the difference? Never liked stereo too much anyway.:D it would be for casual listening in a house zone.
MCH content downmixed to stereo != content originally mixed in stereo

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I periodically check back in to see if anything has emerged in the audio equipment genre. For years now my altitude 32 has been working great and has been one of the most satisfying purchases I have made in my life. It will likely outlast most cars and other junk I bought and VASTLY more satisfying over the long run.

I literally don't have to change anything from an audio perspective unlike many other things in life where I might feel like I would rather compromise.

It's just too bad that not many good movies (in my opinion) have been released in the genres that I like best.

I would like true 4k laser projectors to become "cheap" as I don't like blowing too much money on video gear.

Reactions: Berland and thxman

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
So the folks that have Roon, do you need both the 5.1 and the stereo version on the server, or can you downmix from the multichannel if you have a stereo endpoint in another room? TIA
Downmixing is by default, however you can channel map as well. Here's some info.
Roon Multichannel

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I periodically check back in to see if anything has emerged in the audio equipment genre. For years now my altitude 32 has been working great and has been one of the most satisfying purchases I have made in my life. It will likely outlast most cars and other junk I bought and VASTLY more satisfying over the long run.

I literally don't have to change anything from an audio perspective unlike many other things in life where I might feel like I would rather compromise.

It's just too bad that not many good movies (in my opinion) have been released in the genres that I like best.

I would like true 4k laser projectors to become "cheap" as I don't like blowing too much money on video gear.
Investing in the Altitude32 seems scary, but after buying it in 2018 my only regret is that I did not buy it sooner. It is expensive to buy cheap - and to avoid these endless upgrades due to new formats etc are now history. I recommend Trinnov to everyone I meet (and it is really easy to sell, after a visit at my place - they all want to buy).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quick question and apologies if it's been answered previously .....

I'm looking to calibrate my dual PSA S1811 Subs as a multi-way speaker, think i've got the basics of the process right in my head, however, not 100% sure on what is the best HP & LP to use, was thinking of using 150 as LP, also if i get crest warning to low, does it make any difference if you increase the volume in the Active xovers, obviously keeping the same relative difference in dB's between the 2 subs, or is it better to just increase the volume using the main volume control?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Quick question and apologies if it's been answered previously .....

I'm looking to calibrate my dual PSA S1811 Subs as a multi-way speaker, think i've got the basics of the process right in my head, however, not 100% sure on what is the best HP & LP to use, was thinking of using 150 as LP, also if i get crest warning to low, does it make any difference if you increase the volume in the Active xovers, obviously keeping the same relative difference in dB's between the 2 subs, or is it better to just increase the volume using the main volume control?

Thanks for any advice.
Increase volume via master volume control.

·
Registered
10 Posts
you’ll get a massive improvement over the pioneer (not being disrespectful, but the pioneer isn’t that great even when compared to Denon, Marantz, NAD,Emotiva, etc). You’re certainly not getting best out of those Macintosh’s that’s for sure......

The altitude is in a completely different league.
Thank you I just ordered the Alt32 can’t wait

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a decades long Pioneer owner, they are very different. Like no comparison different.

So you know my familiarity with Pioneer, I have had multi generations of laserdisc players, flagship uni and BD players, Elite Kuro, several top model but non-Elite AVR's in the 80's & 90's, then an Elite VSX49txi, 59Txi, and the Susano SC-09TX (which I still have and use on occasion), and an SC-68. So I think I know MCACC pretty well.

The Altitude is in a class way beyond what Pioneer MCACC does as room correction, even with their very weak attempt at sub EQ (a simple 4 band graphic EQ'r starting at 60hz). It will also seriously outperform Audyssey. If you have done some homework, the only HT room correction system in its class is Dirac.

After Pioneer, I migrated to a Marantz 8802A with Audyssey. I have to say for me, Audyssey is a PITA. I absolutely hate what the Reference setting does to my speaker's hi-end so I ended up setting it to Flat. Other than it's big superiority over MCACC with subs, for me, the rest of Audyssey is a bust.

2.5 yrs ago I finally got the Altitude 16. You will not be disappointed in the level of accuracy, control and flexibility of Trinnov's Optimizer. Keep in mind that this is not a plug & play room system like MCACC, it does have a learning curve, but Trinnov has an optional speaker calibration wizard that will get you started. The mic is way way beyond the cheesy mics that consumer level receivers use, and is extremely precise. It's also $700, in addition to the Altitude so is a serious jump in what it does. In fact, it's unique in being able to precisely measure angles, elevations, and response in 3 dimensions.

If I had to rate sound...it would be #1 Trinnov by a mile. Every speaker will be more cohesive & integrated with others, a cohesive bubble of sound around & above you. At least that's my experience in my room with the 3 systems.

But I won't hide that it's not a catch-bucket of things like a AVR. What an Alt32 is however, is arguably the best HT processor on the market. It won't have Pandora, Spotify etc built-in for example. Or internet radio. But it is Roon-ready and once you have Roon, coupled with a hi-rez streaming service like Qobuz or Tidal, you won't miss mp3 quality audio services. The lowest quality Qobuz file is CD quality, the highest is 192K 24 bit. Most of their music is in 96K/24 or 44.1/16. Tidal uses MQA for their hi-rez. I bought a lifetime license for Roon and Qobuz, plus buy albums, tracks that I'm interested in. Plus ripped a few which a Roon server will put in its database. All you need is a Roon server and ethernet to the Altitude.

Bugs - other than the last update, the software has been rock solid. I've had every release candidate in the last 2 yrs. The last update, with the new Atmos object viewer, has had an initial clock sync delay and dropout quirk that seems to effect some more than others. BUT, this has mostly been resolved with the latest release candidate. A few still seem to have an issue but I think it's gear specific and some of these have Lumagen video processors in the chain so a more complicated setup.

"audioguy" has a Lumagen and Alt32 and I don't think he's had a dropout issue with the latest SW.

Unlike Pioneer which rarely fixed things or updated FW, Trinnov is constantly adding new features, taking care of any issues, etc with software upgrades. It's a PC not chip based so can be easily upgraded with software. Trinnov was the very 1st to come out with DTS-X Pro. We've had it over a year before any other company who had to wait for new DSP chips and then it's another model to buy. Trinnov just does it in software and updates owners for free.

I heard what Trinnov Optimizer can do in a demo at CEDIA 2010 and was amazed. Finally was financial able to justify buying the Altitude. And never looked back. The Altitude is a long term investment and the last prepro you will want to buy.

Support - Trinnov has the best support I've ever experienced from an audio company. Bar none. If you have a question or problem, you can reach out to the 2 US managers, or contact Paris. They are very responsive. Antoine in Paris must work 18 hrs/day, since he responded very quickly. I'm in Atlanta, he's 6 hrs apart and I've emails from him right away.

Does this help? :)
Hi
That’s very detailed and excellent information, I too have lifetime subscription to Roon and I have Tidal which I love listening to some of the MQA stuff.
I am super pleased to say I have now ordered the Alt32 with optional codecs and the Microphone and I will be getting it professionally calibrated by one of the dealers here in the UK so excited is an understatement.
I just purchased my last amp for the height speakers so I am ready to go.
Again thank you for the detailed post and taking the time to respond

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Support - Trinnov has the best support I've ever experienced from an audio company. Bar none. If you have a question or problem, you can reach out to the 2 US managers, or contact Paris. They are very responsive. Antoine in Paris must work 18 hrs/day, since he responded very quickly. I'm in Atlanta, he's 6 hrs apart and I've emails from him right away.
The bigger question is if Antoine ever sleeps? Seems to get response from him regardless of time of day (or night) - including weekends.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys
I am about to purchase the Alt32 and would like know what are the main difference in the latest Alt32 I heard the HDMI board was different is that correct ? And what are the new differences a list of them would be great if anyone knows

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi guys
I am about to purchase the Alt32 and would like know what are the main difference in the latest Alt32 I heard the HDMI board was different is that correct ? And what are the new differences a list of them would be great if anyone knows
the new hdmi board has an extra input I believe, but it’s virtually the same, just made by a different manufacturer.

No other changes, that’s the benefit of the altitude, your unit is software based so will always be relevant.

13761 - 13780 of 13862 Posts