Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my situation:

I'll be having a installer coming out to install my new dish (dirctv hdtv $99 deal) next week and i was wondering if it was any different than my current 18" directv dish. The problem i have is i want to have the wiring run before he gets here. I have my dish on a 3 car detached garage with about 150' of rg6 that spirals to the house, down the chimney and into my main wiring room.

What i guess i need to ask is if anyone has a link to instrucions on how the larger dish is installed. ihave heard of a multiswitch being used, but i am not sure if htat would be my case, anyone?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
The 3LNB dish has a multiswitch built in with 4 output connections. You'll need a line from the dish to each receiver if wired directly. If there is a multiswitch in your main wiring room, you will need to either replace it with a 4x or 5x(1 more for an over the air antenna connection) model and run 4 cables from the dish to it or bypass it and connect all receivers directly to the dish.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Are you saying you must have 4 lines from the new dish regardless with or without the use of a multi-switch? Having all kind of problems with upgrade to triple LNB installed yesterday. Installers didn't do anything except use my existing 2 lines to multi-switch.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
The new oval triple LNB dish has a built-in 4 output multiswitch. If you have a need for more than four lines, you must have all four from the dish connected to a cascadable multiswitch. Call the installation company and explain to them that since the new dish has four outputs you expect them to run four lines from the dish. What equipment are your trying to use?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have no need for more than four lines. I have an older RCA, 2 Sony A2's, but I'm replacing 1 of the Sonys with the new Samsung HD. Since yesterday sometime they all work sometimes not. Today I am only getting reading off the main satellite, other 2 nothing. 1 tech said the multi-switches are working against each other, he said something about bypassing the one in the LNB. The only problem with running 4 cables is my 2 existing are underground now. Trying to learn all I can before they come back tomorrow afternoon

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
In order for an external multiswitch to handle all 3 satellites, 4 lines must be run to a 4x or 5x cascadable external multiswitch. A 2x or 3x or 2 lines will only get the 101 satellite.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Okay, thats what I was afraid of. Thats exactly what my problem is then. From my understanding of this there is no need for my external multi-switch as all with only 3 receivers. The lines can be run direct to the receivers. watch happens to the 4th line? Thanks for all the input.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
The 4th line can be held in reserve for a future possible receiver or for when you replace a receiver with a 2 tuner Tivo.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by greywolf
In order for an external multiswitch to handle all 3 satellites, 4 lines must be run to a 4x or 5x cascadable external multiswitch. A 2x or 3x or 2 lines will only get the 101 satellite.
Actually, if the lines are used directly from the dish without another multiswitch, they will pick up all satellites. The problem is with 2x or 3x switches.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just kidding. I think we all are in the same boat on our problems and questions.

Here is my situation in a nut shell. Tell me if i am wrong somewhere.

Before i get the dish installed, I should run a total of 5 RG-6 cables (1-antenna and 4 sat.) from my garage to my house. The 4 rg-6 cables will then go to the dish. Once inside my house, I can run each rg6 cable directly to their appropeite (sp?) receiver. The antenna then is split in the basement 4 ways, then run to each receiver. So each reciever then has 2 cables running into it.

If i use the multisiwtch, everything stays the same until i get into the house. I would then input all 4 sat cables and the 1 antenna cable into the switch, then run just one cable from the "out" to each receiver and end up with antenna and Directv? Or is there something else that i am missing.

Also, If the installer is going to be getting me all setup, will he give me the multiswitch? or will i have to pay for one?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jdspencer
Actually, if the lines are used directly from the dish without another multiswitch, they will pick up all satellites. The problem is with 2x or 3x switches.
That was mentioned earlier in the thread and not contra to the quoted material so I don't get the "actually".

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chadlyt
Before i get the dish installed, I should run a total of 5 RG-6 cables (1-antenna and 4 sat.) from my garage to my house. The 4 rg-6 cables will then go to the dish. Once inside my house, I can run each rg6 cable directly to their appropeite (sp?) receiver. The antenna then is split in the basement 4 ways, then run to each receiver. So each reciever then has 2 cables running into it.
Exactly.

Quote:
If i use the multiswitch, everything stays the same until i get into the house. I would then input all 4 sat cables and the 1 antenna cable into the switch, then run just one cable from the "out" to each receiver and end up with antenna and Directv? Or is there something else that i am missing.
You could put the multiswitch in the garage and run 4 lines to the house. That would limit the number of receivers in the house to 4 though. 5 would seem to be the best bet for futureproofing. Each receiver would need a diplexer to separate the OTA and Sat signals unless the receiver model can accept a diplexed input directly. The Hughes E86 and clones can for example. A wiring diagram is at http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...=SP58DC22#MORE

Quote:
Also, If the installer is going to be getting me all setup, will he give me the multiswitch? or will i have to pay for one?
You don't have more receivers than the dish can handle so an external multiswitch is not part of the deal. Also, D* only provides a 4x8 for larger installations and that won't handle an antenna input. Look for a 5x8 such as the Eagle Aspen S-4180-GX+, Terk BMS-58 or any 5x8 that supplies a 22KHz tone from the Sat B inputs. Models are available on the internet for under $80.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ordered up the Terk BMS-58 5x8 just now.

One last thing. With all of the lengths of wire i have, do i need to add any type of boost to it? Or will the multiswitch give me ehat i need? It have runs over 150'....

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Chances are you'll be fine but it's a good idea to use RG6 cable with a solid copper center electrode. The multiswitch is powered, will generate a good 13V/18V signal for the dish, and amplify the outputs. If there is a problem, post the details here. If you find you need a pre-amp for OTA signals for example, just go for a Channel Master or Winegard that needs a 24VDC power supply and mount it on the antenna mast without the power supply. The BMS-58 sends 24VDC out of its antenna connection to power a pre-amp if needed.

EDIT-Reports indicate the BMS-58 does not put out 24VDC from its antenna input and the spec sheet is in error.-EDIT

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by greywolf
To clarify. You stated that "...or 2 lines will only get the 101 satellite." I took that as meaning you wouldn't get the 110/119 from the oval dish. Which you can get if the additional multiswitch isn't used.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jdspencer
To clarify. You stated that "...or 2 lines will only get the 101 satellite." I took that as meaning you wouldn't get the 110/119 from the oval dish. Which you can get if the additional multiswitch isn't used.
The case stated was with an external multiswitch. 2 lines to an external multiswitch will only get 101. Earlier in the thread I stated, "You'll need a line from the dish to each receiver if wired directly."

·
Registered
384 Posts
Are there any cascadable external multiswitches (preferably a 5 x 8) that can be placed outdoors next to the dish and exposed to the weather? Are there any multiswitch "weather shields" available? Are all 5x8 multiswitches active meaning that they require 120V AC?.

Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
The Terk BMS-58 has an integrated box. The Eagle Aspen S-4180-GX+ has a screw on sheet metal back plate. The seam and screws are sealed with a clear sealant. The Terk is advertised as indoor/outdoor. The EA isn't. Those are the 2 I'm familiar with.

The connections themselves can be made with O-ring connectors and silicone dielectric compound to keep water out. Plastic or metal boxes designed to keep water out are available. http://www.lashen.com/vendors/jvi/accessories.asp in one example. Do an internet search on weatherproof and multiswitch. Using the belt and suspenders approach of sealing connections and using a box with all cable penetrations at the bottom will insure a long life.

The usual method of powering a multiswitch is a 24VDC power supply with an F-connector output. A regular RG6 cable just like the ones used to carry the signal is connected between the power supply and the multiswitch. There is no 120VAC in the rain to worry about.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.