AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed my Triple LNB dish this evening. 101 bird is working fine, all my programming is available. Now, how I can tell if I'm getting the 110 and 119 birds correctly (besides the signal meter)? What channels should I be getting now that I wasn't getting before? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Assuming you have a high def IRD you should be getting HBO High Def, on 119 and Showtime High Def on 110. I believe that the the HDNet channels are on 119. However, If you do not subscribe to the High Def package then I do not know if these latter channels will be received. Assuming you subscribe to HBO and Showtime they will come in. If your signal meter shows signal you have the ability to receive these signals

Alan

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Tune to channel 99. If you get a picture, then 110 is working.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. 99 is working, so I know 110 is working. Is there a similar thing for 119?

I'm not currently subscribed to anything on 110 or 119 (my HD receiver has not arrived yet), but I just wanted to make sure I hooked the dish up right. Is there a test similar to channel 99 for the 119 bird?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
You should be able to use the setup menu on your DirecTV receiver (you didn't say what receiver you have, though, and accessing that menu varies by manufacturer). Once you're in the setup menu you can verify that you have strong transponder signals for all three satellites.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a strong signal for all 3, I just want the warm fuzzy of actually seeing something on the screen (like channel 99) that proves it's actually working. :)

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Unfortunately. all Directv signal test meters that I have seen do not distinguish between correct and incorrect satellite signal.

It is not enough to see a picture on channel 99. Last time I checked, if the 101 LNB was supplying signal when 90 or 99 were called, it displayed the Cartoon Channel. That, of course, is subject to change with channel remapping. If you are getting Sat C signal from Sat C/110, you will see a fixed "DirecTV" banner.

Similarly, if you tune to channel 400 but are getting the signal from the wrong satellite (Sat A/101), then you will see the Para Todos promo channel with English audio, but if you are receiving Spanish audio, then the signal is coming from the correct satellite (B/119).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! 99 has the DirecTV logo with jazz music, and 400 has Para Todos information with Spanish audio. Cool.

Now I just need to get that HD receiver delivered and hooked up to test the 110 sat.

Thanks!

·
Registered
621 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AntAltMike
Unfortunately. all Directv signal test meters that I have seen do not distinguish between correct and incorrect satellite signal.
If you are looking for a quality meter that allows you to distinguish between D* satellites, plus other birds, take a took at the Applied Instruments SAT9520. I won't go into great detail, but when dealing specifically with PhaseIII dishes, you can switch LNB readings on the meter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.