Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this is the right forum.

I have the triple LNB with a 2 room setup (1 HD, 1 regular). I had it installed by CC so I have no idea how it is setup. I'd like to get a Tivo Unit in the main room (with the HD setup). I was just going to run a new satellite line to the new Tivo settop box and have it as a seperate input on my TV (so I could watch HD on 1 box and then when I wanted to view my recordings I could switch inputs to the other box).

First, is that possible?

Second, if I do what I describe, would I have to pay DirectTV another $5 since it'd be like another room installation?

Third, how do I run a seperate line from the triple LNB? Will there be three inputs on the satellite (since the 3 LNBs) or with I have to introduce some sort of multi-switch? Are multiswitche's easy to setup if so? And what if I wanted to run 2 additional lines to the Tivo to take advantage of the dual recording capability?

·
Registered
655 Posts
You have 4 outs from the dish!

You can combine a few (2 or more) to get signal to get 3+ recievers.

You need all four combined into a multiswitch to get more than 4 with HDTV or Sat B and C capability.

Search the forum for more info.

You are asking for answers that will take several paragraphs to answer.

Search on Multiswitch, Phase III, ect.

Yes you pay $5.

But you can think about Whole House Ditribution.

Do a search on that - there is an entire forum group for that!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Your 3LNB dish should include a 4-way multi-switch. If I understand you correctly you're already using 2 of the 4 connectors on the multiswitch. If you want a dual tuner TIVO Directv STB, you'll need two more runs of RG-6 cable to connect both tuners to the dish. As long as you have another s-video or component connection on your TV to connect the TIVO Directv STB you should be in good shape. And, yes, I believe Directv will hit you with another $5 month charge for an additional STB. But, since it's a TIVO, I'm not 100% sure. They may apply other rules to TIVO STBs.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
I assume that you have a Phase III dish (18"x20" oval, with all 3 LNBs already in place). If so, there is a 5x4 multiswitch already in the dish, which provides you with 4 "feeds" (outputs) that can see each of the 3 DirecTV satellites.

It looks like you are already using 2 of the feeds from the dish (one for HD STB in Room 1, one for SD STB in Room 2). DirecTiVo supports dual tuners (as you alluded to), but it needs 2 feeds to do so. Not a problem, since all you'd need to do is run 2 RG6 lines from the dish (using the 2 remaining outputs from the integrated multiswitch) to the DirecTiVo in Room 1. With this setup, you'll have a dual tuner enabled DirecTiVo and an HD STB in Room 1 (using 3 feeds/RG6 cables), and your SD STB in Room 2 (using 1 feed/RG6 cable).

If you wanted to add yet more STBs down the road, you'd need to add a downstream multiswitch (say a 5x8) capable of passing the 22KHz tone and do some minor rewiring (all 4 feeds from the dish multiswitch into the new multiswitch, then from the new multiswitch to the various STBs). Or, if you you wanted to "cripple" the DirecTiVo, you could steal one of its feeds and use it for another STB--DirecTiVos can work with only one tuner active, but you lose all the beauty of having a second tuner.

DirecTV charges you based on how many STBs you have in use, not how many rooms you have service in. You are currently paying $5 extra per month for having a second STB. Adding a DirecTiVo would mean another $5/month charge, plus the $4.99 TiVo charge. It's worth it, though--DirecTiVo is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

EDIT: Looks like I can't type very fast--two people beat me to the punch! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.