AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an externally powered Perfect Vision 3x8 multi-switch, and through advice from people here, I went ahead and bought the oval triple LNB dish due to the fact that one day I maybe interested in getting the HD sat. My three receivers are RCA UTV's and I know that the tuners can burn out if you draw too much current from them, thus that is why I returned my nonpowered MS and got the externally powered MS. My question is can I hook up only the LNB that receivers the main DTV sat until I get a 5x8 MS. Or better yet if I am only interested in the main DTV sat (not para todos or HD) how would I go about this I don't believe that my MS is cascadalbe, if that makes a difference. In other words how would I hook up my Terk S26 oval dish with three lnbs and four coaxial cables to my 3x8 MS? Also is the main DTV bird at 101'?

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
how would I hook up my Terk S26 oval dish with three lnbs and four coaxial cables to my 3x8 MS?
Take any two of the four wires coming from the dish and connect them to the satellite inputs of the switch. You will only get the 101 satellite on any receiver connected to the 3x8 switch.

Quote:
is the main DTV bird at 101'?
Yes.

-Robert

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It hit me after rereading the instructions to the oval dish several times that all four coaxes coming out of the dish are the same and I should be able to just plug in two the cable to my 3x8. Problem is that this is a setup for a house that I am having custom built so it is kind of hard to test these things at this point in time. Thanks to your answer Robert I feel much more secure, now. Unfortunately right after I received the 3x8 via ordering it from the net. I was offered a brand new in unopened box Terk 5x8 for only $50. Kind of hard to pass up but I have already spent $66 then $77 on a two multi-switches now another $50, I should have just bought a Spaun!

Ps what does noncascadable and cascadable mean concerning multi-switches?

Thanks, Paul.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ThePremierShark

Ps what does noncascadable and cascadable mean concerning multi-switches?

Cascadable means that you can use the output of one multiswitch as the input for a second multiswitch.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Two issues:

1) Externally powered multiswitch. This is a multiswitch that will not pass signals thru when the external power is not supplied. This is a good thing as far as UTVs are concerned.

Unplug the external power to the multiswitch. If all you get is snow that is an externally powered multiswitch. If you can still watch tv & change tuner channels then it is NOT externally powered-- BAD for UTV. It is only externally amplified.

2) Cascadable multiswitch. Most professional installers only class a multiswitch as cascadable if it is able to transmit the 22kHz switch signal (to control HD Sat, etc.). AFAIK any multiswitch can carry & pass the regular satellite signal from another multiswitch.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everyone thanks for the info!

Watching or anyone else that might know, is either one: the Perfect Vision (powered) 3x8 or the Terk BSM58, externally powered or only externally amplified?

Can't find any specs on the Perfect Vision and I really can't tell from the specs on the Terk if they are or not. Only thing that is said about the perfect vision on several sites is that

"Note: power supply not required and is not included however is recommended. Using the power supply provides an additional source of power and relieves stress (power draw) off of your satellite receiver encountered by the Muliswitch, LNB and In-Line Amplifiers if used. "

·
Registered
354 Posts
Do the test described in the second paragraph of my post above.

The verbal description of your multiswitch "Note: power supply not required" sounds ominous to me.

I presume there are many UTVers using these switches that have not encountered tuner failure but my experience has convinced me that we are better to avoid using tuner-powered multiswitches with our units.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.