AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed their dish on a tripod? If so where do you buy it or how do you make it.

My friend has to install a dish inside her apt facing a window and she thinks the pole in bucket contraption is too ugly for a living room.

She only wants HD programming so she only needs the 18 inch Dish.

Thanks

------------------

Eram

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ensyed:
Has anyone installed their dish on a tripod? If so where do you buy it or how do you make it.

My friend has to install a dish inside her apt facing a window and she thinks the pole in bucket contraption is too ugly for a living room.

She only wants HD programming so she only needs the 18 inch Dish.

Thanks

Try looking up some independent DirecTV/DISH Network installers/resellers in the Yellow Pages. Chances are they'll have portable mounts or tripods for sale. Some RV and travelhome owners use them instead of permanent mounts, so many resellers stock them.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
You can use almost any camera tripod. You just need some way to attach the dish to the tripod. It need not be a firm attachment, so long as no one bumps it.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I installed a tripod based elliptical dish to get DirecTV from my apartment. But, mine is installed on my balcony.. a tripod will be quite large for inside an apartment.

I got my tripod at Radio Shack. It is intended for a rooftop antenna. If she is using the oval dish, the 1" mast that Radio Shack sells should work fine. But, the elliptical dish needs a bigger mast. I used 1.25" electrical conduit from the local hardware store.

I put some info/pictures here: http://weaselworkz.com/hdtv/balcony/index.html

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
She should go with one of the flat panel dishes you can purchase for window panes. A friend has one and it works well. Winegard makes them, I believe. If www.starkelectronic.com has them, they'll undoubtedly have the best price.

[This message has been edited by PF (edited 08-09-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.