AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My speaker building project.

About 12 years back a bought some ******** tree planks that was cut from huge old trees (older then a 100 years according to town folks that know some of their history). The piece of land was bought for the development of an church so some of them were cut down and processed into planks.

At that time I didn't had any plans for them so now 12 years later I decided it was time to use some of them in my speaker project.

Fortunately for me my wife had no objection to the size of the Statement speakers. I however had to modify my home to accommodate the speakers so a few walls had to go (they were kind of a nuisance anyway) coupled with some other alterations.

This was my first speaker project.The build took me about 2 months to complete for the set of five. I worked 95% of the time alone with some occasional help from my wife/twin brother and friends.I spend quite some time in designing and building jigs so that I was able to do most of the work alone.

The Statements way in at 80 kg each (176 pounds) and the Minis are 41 kg (90 pounds) each.

Most of the pick`s were taken wit my cell phones camera so I do apologize for the poor quality in advance.

I also would like to mention that I`m not fluent in English and that some of the words might not have the meaning that I intended.

I am very proud to show you my "Statement family".

I still need to make a dedicated/matching stand/cabinet for the TV and other equipment so the TV on top of the center is only temporarily.

MiniStatements used as surrounds.

Without drivers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
View from top without the front baffle.

crossovers ready for placement.

view through back port

Almost finished as I still need to add the feet's that lay on top of the speaker.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Pic of the feet that a friend made for me that can adjust individually if needed for level placement of the speakers.

Magnet placement for holding the covers (that I still need to design and make).

I have taken the idea a little further then only on the front of the baffles and added some magnets to the side of each speaker as well to hold the covers in place when I remove them. The center speakers magnets are on top.

It`s kind of difficult to see the front magnets on this pics.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some of the jigs that I made and used. This is what I came up all on my own so I hope to inspire some of you to consider a curved speaker build. Please do ask questions if you would like to know more.

The jigs helped me to achieve the "curved" shape that I had in mind.

Thanks to my uncle for his orbital sander that did a excellent job.

This jig help with the cutting inside the speaker panel/side for the bracings and tops to fit nicely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is how I made my tops and the jig that I used.

I used a jig saw to get close to the shape that I wanted and then I used my router and jig to do it more precise.

One of the MiniStatements top in progress.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Below is some of the tools that I used. Some of theme are my own and some was lend to my by family members.

My brothers Radial arm saw.

My home made router table that I made for this project.

My old wood planer and in the background some of the planks that were going to be used.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow, absolutely beautiful. Great work. And wow again on fixturing/jig's. Very creative. I've never seen that wood before, It's beautiful. Not so sure I can say that enough, I need to get off my arse & stop using Oak/Birch/MDF.

What Is covering the baffle/rears, If I may ask. Looks to be Leather/Suede?

Again, thank you for sharing those beauties and the build pic's, they show a great deal of craftsmanship and ideas for making solid wood curved planks. Please don't stop posting pic's of these... just replaced my desktop pic on Notnyt's theater. I hope you have more builds coming, I'll even settle for the Ent./TV stand, lol.

Oh, how do they sound? Ah I don't care, the looks alone are a win.

JL

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Absolutely stunning work.

·
Registered
506 Posts
WOW! amazing work. beautiful cabinets.

what are the baffles covered with? some sort of vinyl or leather? i didn't see it mentioned but maybe i missed it?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Exceptional work! Really!! Those cabs turned out beautiful. Just love the finish on them. I'm also more than impressed with your creative use of jigs. Not sure I would have thought they would work just seeing the jigs, but the end result is really clean. Hope they sound great. That's a lot of hard work in those!

Best,

C.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Just gorgeous! I wish I had half your skill!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.