AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tron Legacy Will Feature Five Extended Aspect Ratio IMAX Sequences

Quote:
Most of the film will be presented in widescreen, 2.35:1 aspect ratio, like it will be in your normal multiplex screen. But in the IMAX presentation, five special action sequences are being rendered at 1.7:1, which means that you will see a lot more on the top and the bottom. This makes a huge difference for a 3D presentation. As you know, an IMAX screen is up to eight stories high and are designed to extend to the edge of your peripheral vision, creating a more immersive experience.
http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/02/28/...max-sequences/

·
Registered
581 Posts
This is how the 1.85:1 trailer is presented as well. The real world stuff is letterboxed, and the computer world stuff is full-frame. The 2.39:1 trailer is the same ratio throughout.

·
Registered
19,146 Posts
Meh. I find that annoying. IMAX screens are 4:3, not 16:9. It's not even like they're doing special IMAX version, it's like they're doing it so it just looks better on the home screen.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/18275840

Meh. I find that annoying. IMAX screens are 4:3, not 16:9. It's not even like they're doing special IMAX version, it's like they're doing it so it just looks better on the home screen.

LieMAX screens are not 1.44. I think they are 1.70.

They are doing it to make more money. IMAX theaters charge the highest ticket prices.

This is the special IMAX version. You will see two aspect ratios; 2.35 and the (5) 1.70 sequences.

Go to a RealD or Dolby 3D theater - entire film will be 2.35.

·
Registered
30,892 Posts
From humble beginings (Brainstorm, Brother Bear) to recent blockbusters (Dark Knight, Transformers 2), shifting aspect ratios is finally being recognized for the fantastic filmmaking technique that it is. I can't wait till all films have shifting aspect ratios.

·
Registered
19,146 Posts
I'll go to an IMAX theater anyways because there's a "real" one by me, but if they're going to do the scenes digitally for IMAX, I fail to see the point in not doing it 4:3 like Dark Knight. They are just cheaping out.

I really do think this is not only for the "faux" IMAX theaters like you say but it could bode poorly that we might get a full 1.77 transfer for home release. I sense a trend here, and I don't like it. This is bad news, and of course means they expect more fake IMAX theaters to pop up than real ones. It could also mean than more movies released for "IMAX" will be 1.77 and not the proper 4:3 as they should be.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/18276162

From humble beginings (Brainstorm, Brother Bear) to recent blockbusters (Dark Knight, Transformers 2), shifting aspect ratios is finally being recognized for the fantastic filmmaking technique that it is. I can't wait till all films have shifting aspect ratios.

It wasn't the shifting aspect ratios per se - it was the use of different film formats within the same movie. like Spherical Panavision and Super Panavision 70 or IMAX 15/70 and Panavision.

It doesn't translate well on home video IMO because we never see the large difference in the resolution between formats. All we are left with is just the changing AR's.

Tron Legacy should be interesting because all it will be is changing aspect ratios - no difference in the resolution and the whole movie will be in 3D.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/18276200

I'll go to an IMAX theater anyways because there's a "real" one by me, but if they're going to do the scenes digitally for IMAX, I fail to see the point in not doing it 4:3 like Dark Knight. They are just cheaping out.

Approx 30 minutes of TDK was shot using IMAX 15/70 film. The aspect ratio of that film format is 1.44 which is the AR of IMAX 15/70 theaters.

No use of IMAX 15/70 in Tron Legacy. It's all 3D digital shot in 3D with Pace/Cameron Fusion 3D cameras with a tweak.

Quote:
I really do think this is not only for the "faux" IMAX theaters like you say but it could bode poorly that we might get a full 1.77 transfer for home release. I sense a trend here, and I don't like it. This is bad news, and of course means they expect more fake IMAX theaters to pop up than real ones. It could also mean than more movies released for "IMAX" will be 1.77 and not the proper 4:3 as they should be.

For home video, the film will either be transfered at 2.35 or there will be an "IMAX Special Edition" that will have the (5) 1.70 sequences.

What digital film do you know of that was shown in thetears at 2.35 but transferred to home video at 1.78?

BTW - they haven't built a new IMAX 15/70 theater in quite some time. All new IMAX theaters are LieMAX theaters.

They still shoot IMAX 15/70 movies (2D and 3D) Most are 3D.

·
Registered
28,982 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18276377

What digital film do you know of that was shown in thetears at 2.35 but transferred to home video at 1.78?

Once Upon a Time in Mexico and Planet Terror were both shot digitally. Both were 2.35:1 in theaters, but reformatted to 16:9 for home video (at Robert Rodriguez's instruction).

·
Registered
19,146 Posts
There are a few digitally shot movies that are reformatted for 16:9 screen. But that's not the issue. Blah. I could care less. Why not just make the whole movie 1.77 then instead of adding 1.77 scenes to a 2.35 movie? Makes no sense. Since I see movies in a full IMAX 4:3 theater this kind of switch is even more disconcerting. Terrible idea.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/18279192

Once Upon a Time in Mexico and Planet Terror were both shot digitally. Both were 2.35:1 in theaters, but reformatted to 16:9 for home video (at Robert Rodriguez's instruction).

Would you call that a trend? 2 movies in 7 years?

·
Registered
5,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/18279192

Only the Grindhouse version is cropped to 2.35:1. The slightly extended International version is 1.85:1 and was shown in that AR.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/18280740

There are a few digitally shot movies that are reformatted for 16:9 screen. But that's not the issue. Blah. I could care less. Why not just make the whole movie 1.77 then instead of adding 1.77 scenes to a 2.35 movie? Makes no sense. Since I see movies in a full IMAX 4:3 theater this kind of switch is even more disconcerting. Terrible idea.

The only time you see a movie in a (real) IMAX theater use the entire screen is if that movie was shot in IMAX 15/70.

You go to The IMAX Experience - watching a Hollywood movie in an IMAX theater - they don't use 1.44 AR. They use 1.78, 1.85 and 2.35 2D or 3D - makes no difference. Some of the IMAX screen isn't going to be used.

. . . You are watching LTBX IMAX

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

Quote:

+1

Thanks for the find Lee. I'm really looking forward to this. If the story sucks(hopefully not), at least it will be a fantastic experience. That trailer with the motorcycles has me wanting to just get to the end of the year so I can experience this film.

·
Registered
28,982 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18281661

Would you call that a trend? 2 movies in 7 years?

Didn't say it was a trend. You asked a question and I answered it.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:

While far from a great movie, American Graffitti 2 (Lucas's 1st, pre-Howard the Duck production flop) used different aspect ratios throughout the movie. Aspect/look of the film changed w/ each character they focused on.

Bad movie - but fairly "artsy" in it's setup. Kinda gives clues to the supposed "experimental" stuff George Lucas may have gone into if Star Wars had never happened.

None of these were shot for IMAX, of course - just mentioning the varying aspect thing....

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
The Horse Whisperer used 1.85:1 until the story got out of the city and into the country and then expanded to 2.35:1. That effect was lost at home. Aspect ratio switching when there is 2.35:1 involved is only going to work in a theater.

I've no problem with this, as cinema needs to be special. My big gripe is that most Imax screens are LIEmax and that seems to be the way it will be. We need far more genuinely huge IMAX screens if we are going to be getting so many films designed to be seen on am Imax screen.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The best use of the changing aspect ratios I have seen for home video was the LD of BRAINSTORM.

The movie was letterboxed at 2.20. It opens with a 1.85 AR image within the 2.20 LTBX (pillarboxed letterboxed
)

When the brainstorm sequences came on, the image would shoot to the sides filling the entire 2.20 AR letterboxed frame.

The bigger your display - the better the effect. Worked the same at home as it did in the theater. Just didn't have the big increase in resolution. (Super Panavision 70 vs Spherical Panavision 35

·
Registered
521 Posts
IIRC Stanley Kubrick shot Dr. Strangelove in two or three aspect ratios in the same print. Criterion did an LD of it ages ago that preserved all the ratios.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts