AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had good luck calibrating my JVC projector for years. This weekend I've been working on the LG TV upstairs - Using an i1pro and Calman (4 and now 5), Brightnes and contrast on the test patterns are set correctly. On the computer, everything is perfect. Grayscale has a DE of less than 1 across the board. Gamma and Luminance are spot on, and even the CMS needed minimal changes to get it almost perfect (the set has 10 point grayscale and CMS built in).

The problem is that the picture is crushing blacks terribly. After it's all said and done, I have to crank brightness way up the see the detail in the dark areas. This really screws up my gamma and grayscale. I started off using a gamma of 2.2. I've experimented with different settings for gamma starting at 1.9 and up. I even tried using the ITU/EBU Camera Gamma which starts out at something closer to 1.6 and moves up to 2.0 as you get brighter.

I'm looking for an explanation of what is happening and if something is wrong with the approach I'm taking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Make sure all video processing options are off or set to the lowest level ... i.e. Dynamic Contrast, black level etc

Also make sure you are calibrating the ISF mode or theater/cinema mode as Standard and many of the other modes have processing that can not be disabled.

·
Registered
718 Posts
What is your pattern source? If you are displaying patterns from the computer you may be dealing with a pc/video levels problem. If a bluray player, are all the settings 'neutral'?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was very careful to disable all processing. I'm using a DPG-2000 from spectracal as my source. It's really just a wd tv live with proprietary test patterns, but it was setup very carefully per the instructions. The TV's black level is set to low (options are high and low). I did fiddle with it, but high raises the black level and washes everything out.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I have to wonder if this is being caused by the DPG2000's out put being RGB 8bit then your content input is using something else. Did you recheck your calibration using a BR player and the AVS disk?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts