AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few days I have been trying to reconfigure my Harmony 670. I've had this remote for several years and it has never been reconfigured since the initial setup. I recently installed a new Directv genie, model HR44-500 and thought it might have to be changed then but it continued to work fine. Last week I bought a new TV and DVD and knew I'd have to change it now.

I checked all my devices' model numbers against Logitech's database and confirmed that they are all supported for the 670. I downloaded the Windows version of Logitech's software and began to build the configuration from scratch. When I got to the Directv satellite, the harmony software did not recognize it. It had me point my Directv remote to the 670, which could not recognize any commands except power on. Obviously, the 670 has no control for the satellite. I have to use both remotes to watch TV,
I tried reconfiguring with calling the satellite a cable box and a digital set top box, and giving it false model numbers such as H21-700 which was my former satellite box. None of these attempts worked.
I'm at a loss as what to do next. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
So, you're using Logitech Harmony Remote Software v7.x?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Yes, 7.7.0
Have you tried entering a current (non-Genie) DirecTV DVR, e.g., HR24-500 or an older one like the HR23, HR22, HR21?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried entering a current (non-Genie) DirecTV DVR, e.g., HR24-500 or an older one like the HR23, HR22, HR21?

As I mentioned in my initial post, I tried the HR21-700 I used to have but it didn't take that either. I feel like I must be doing something wrong procedurally; maybe the wrong software, or maybe I'm supposed to clear something first. This is supposed to be intuitive and fairy straightforward. It's been just the opposite for me.

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
Any of the above will work. When asked if you have the original remote, answer no, and you can skip the learning part. Then make sure your DVR is set to IR mode (in your DirecTV's menu - Menu, Settings & Held, Settings, Remote Control, IR/RF Setup, select IR).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any of the above will work. When asked if you have the original remote, answer no, and you can skip the learning part. Then make sure your DVR is set to IR mode (in your DirecTV's menu - Menu, Settings & Held, Settings, Remote Control, IR/RF Setup, select IR).

I think I've tried answering no to question about having the original remote, but will try again. I should reiterate that I've been using the Harmony remote with the Directv HR44-500 for almost a year with no problems and I did not makes any changes in the IR/RF setup. Maybe the Directv guy did when he installed the HR44, but I sure didn't.
I played around with it yesterday trying everything I could think of and now it wont let me setup the watching TV activity because it says no devices control channels.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
All of my Directv remotes can control my Genie in IR mode. The Genie default is RF and you will have to change it to IR.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If that's the problem, I just have to wonder how the Harmony remote has been communicating with the Genie for almost a year now without any changes to the RF/IR setup.

The mystery to me is why doesn't the Harmony software recognize the HR44-500? Harmony has a database inquiry where you can type in all your devices and it will tell you if it's acceptable to Harmony remotes. All of my devices, including the HR44, are listed as valid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: reconfigured with answering "no" to the question do you have the original Directv remote. I'm happy to report that it works now. I did not change the setup for the RF/IR.

Next step is to try and add some custom buttons.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts