AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, am I the only one having this problem? I don't constantly connect any more. There are very few error messages. Only days missing. Right now I should have program guides through Sat but I only have through 5:30 Wed. If I do a net connect in the middle of the day I get the message the replay service did not answer. I can hear it dialing and the screeching noise. Then it goes to the fast busy as if it is disconnecting. I have dialed down the modem speed on both my units. They are both showing the same days of program guides. I don't know what to do. This is probably not a Panasonic issue. Since we are talking about the downloads, which is controlled by Sonic Blue. If I go away for a few days I won't have any program guides. I have been able to do some Net connects but most of the time it just says there is a problem. I don't see any one else having this problem in the last few days. I can't believe it is only happening to me.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
One of my showstoppers was doing this earlier this week. I cold-booted it and it cleared up. I think this is usually due to the modem getting hung, and cold booting resets it.

To cold boot, hold down the power button on the front of the unit for 3 seconds, until the screen goes from black to static.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have done all this stuff. Also, I have having a problem with 2 units. The same problem with both of them.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
There are several things you can try, most of which you already have.

Delete your zipcode by hitting stop when at the zip code screen. Back up one screen, then fwd and reenter zipcode. The unit will dial out to the setup server and download the latest numbers. Select new local number if there is one.

Set modem speed to 33.6

Select 1-xxx-xxx-xxx when choosing how to dial out.

Unplug unit for a minute first.

Unplug other phone devices then attempt connect.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Friendly reminder: surge protect your phone and cable lines. I have never heard anyone with a surge protected phone line complain of a dead modem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have my unhacked ShowStopper on a UPS, but every few weeks the modem goes deaf. Power cycling causes it to to start working again. This has happened since I bought the unit, but occasionally flipping the switch on the power strip is easier than trying to deal with Panasonic tech support.

Amanda Walker

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've had this same problem on both a Showstopper and a 2004. Sometimes it is resolved by a "soft" reset (holding in the power button) and sometimes it takes the "hard" reset (unplugging from the wall for a few minutes). I don't think it has anything to do with surges or spikes. It's rather more likely just to be flaky firmware in the modem. I used to have similar problems when using "winmodems" in the old days, though I usually blamed it on Windows. Thank God for DSL. :)

-Aaron

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Of course, I have tried all this stuff. Soft resets, hard resets the works. I tried several times one day on both units. Even though I know the line was picked up. I still got Replay did not answer. I tried the next day at a different time and both of them worked. That really leads me to believe that it is the network that is having the problem. Not my units.

Al

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, this is a service problem since both units are doing exactly the same thing. Both unit have not connected since I did a net connect on Friday. I tried and failed to connect yesterday. I did a net connect today on both units and got them up to date. The other interesting thing is that I am not getting messages over night. They just aren't connecting. No one else is having this problem?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.