AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My living room is two stories high, about 30 feet by 30 feet and there is a rail upstairs about 4 feet tall. Above the rail is open space which allows all of the TV sounds to travel upstairs.

I have an LG TV and a Sony surround system.

My issue is that the TV and/or surround system are both louder upstairs than sitting right in front of the TV. My hearing is probably not as good as it used to be, so I have to turn it up a bit louder to be able to hear what people are saying. I have trouble hearing what people are saying as the background noise drowns out the words.

I have a basement underneath as well with drywall ceilings, so I cannot run wires to make it a true surround system. All 5 speaker are mounted on the wall beside the TV. The TV speakers kind of stink, but the surround sound system sounds great at higher levels. If my son is asleep, I have to keep the TV turned down.

We typically listen using the TV speakers only, but like I said, it can be hard to hear.

I went to Target today and they have a BOSE all in one surround sound system that sits on a TV stand below the TV. It had great sound and I am thinking that it would improve my situation, but with the issues I have had, I am not sure. I will also take any recommendations.

I am hoping the experts here can suggest a better setup or recommend what I need to do to improve the sound.

What are your thoughts:
1. Should I try the BOSE system?
2. Is there a way to "direct" the sound forward (not sure how to word that) so that it comes through better?4
3. Does anyone have a similar setup? What did you do to make it better?

Thanks in advance for your hep and suggestions.

·
Registered
951 Posts
This is probably caused by a combination of the room size and the Sony surround system being underpowered/poor quality. Is it an "home theater in a box" system?

One thing you could do would be buy that Bose unit and try it. If it's not an improvement return it. It very well could provide clearer dialogue.

The other better option (and much more expensive) would be to purchase a new home theater receiver and new speakers. If you have a Best Buy nearby they could set you up with everything you need. This will sound considerably better than the Bose unit but will also cost more and take up more space.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Are there manual EQ settings on the Sony system? Try boosting the center channel up and the surround channels down in volume before looking at buying something new.

·
Registered
235 Posts
you have all 5 speakers on the TV wall? if that's the case, you're probably better off with just the left, center and right. and as was mentioned, turn the center channel's levels up if it's still a problem. it should be better than the tv speakers even if you need to keep the volume lower.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
And you could try pointing the surround speakers out for a more diffuse sound and it might reduce the surround speakers interference with dialogue.
Unless, as mentioned by pitpat, you just remove the surround speakers, which might be a better choice

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I turned up the middle speaker today and it does sound much better. I was thinking of turning down the sub so that it does not add as much volume to it.

If I got a better system at BestBuy, should I do the same thing with the speakers mounted on the wall? I have 5 holes in the wall now where I ran the speaker wire from the speakers to the system.

The system is a Sony that came as a DVD player and 5 speakers, so I guess it is a home theater in a box.

I will turn off the 2 speakers and just run with the front speakers.

With just the TV, the sound is not very good. I guess it is the same reasons, especially with the speakers on the side of the TV.

Thank you for the help everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts