AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm trying to record a show that I dvr'd. I have a Toshiba D-R400 recorder that I have been able to record from my dvr for other programs. This particular show was drv'd from Palladia (Muse: A Seaside Rendezvous).

When I first attempted to record this show, I used a DVD+R disc. I received the error code "This program is not recordable in +VR mode".

I then tried with a DVD-RW disc. I was able to format this disc to VR mode through the DVD Menu (as instructed). When I attempt to record, I get this message: "Recording Error" (white letters on red background), then below in white letters on blackish blue background "This program is not recordable in Video mode." Then on bottom right of the same blackish blue background "E 27"

I am able to record a dvr'd show from CBS, so I'm thinking that Palladia blocks its shows ala HBO, Showtime, et al.

Does anyone know a workaround that will enable me to record this show?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
There are several different levels of recording protection employed by cable channels. The Toshiba DVD-RW "VR" format will only work to get around the "copy-once" level of protection. If your recorder is displaying the alert "This program is not recordable in Video mode." you might not have completely formatted the DVD-RW to VR (the formatting menu has a dozen nested clicks you need to OK). Reload the disc, and be sure it identifies as VR. If attempting to format as VR again results in the Toshiba saying the disc is already VR, then the "can't record" warning is Toshiba's not terribly clear way of telling you this concert video has the detestable "copy never: not recordable to dvd of any kind" signal embedded in it.

Should that be the case, and Palladia is protected by such signals like HBO and other premium channels in your system, there is no way your Toshiba will record the program from your DVR unless you connect a protection signal filter between DVR and Toshiba. The least expensive and most popular filter for this kind of signal is called the Grex , available direct from the mfr website and other dealers like Amazon. Note the Grex costs nearly $100 shipped, so if you're only concerned about this one concert (and don't expect to encounter this problem again), you may want to consider checking fan websites like this to see if someone can help you. Apparently neither the band nor BBC ever made an official DVD available for purchase.

BTW: the "VR Format" trick works by limiting playback to the DVD recorder that made the disc: even if you succeed with your DVD-RW, be aware the disc will not play in a standard DVD or BluRay player. It will only play in your Toshiba DR400 (and possibly other similar recorders of the Toshiba and Magnavox brands). If you want to make a "normal" DVD, you will definitely need the Grex device to allow recording to ordinary unrestricted DVD-R or DVD+R.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts