AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My church is in the process of evaluating a 3-chip projector -- a Barco 5000 lumen 1280x1024 3-chip DLP (model is SLM series G5). However, we are having trouble getting it to sync at its naitive resolution (1280x1024 I think!). I should mention too, we are working without any instruction manual!

The problem is that we can only successfully get it to show a computer signal when we use an Extron "202" (interface?) box. We do see a picture using a notebook 800x600x60HZ signal piped through the Extron and then upscaled by the projector. What we would like to see, but is not working is to drive the projector directly with a 1280x1024 signal. When we hook it up that way, the BARCO just shows "no signal" on the input card.

Specific questions:

1. Any ideas what we may need to know to get this to work?

2. Would a normal PC possibly provide a better or more complete RGBHV signal? Maybe a normal PC video card has sync information that may not be present from it's notebook brethern. (We have tried 3 separate notebooks and we see exactly the same results for each).

3. Do we need to adjust some kind of menu setting for a different type of sync that would work for our application (Note: the RGBHV cards in the BARCO both have RGBHV + SDI inputs, and one adds a SDI output too).

Thanks,

Jim

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Try switching your sync from + to - and see if that helps.

You will need powerstrip for this.

If you get this working let us know how you like the picture.

What size screen are you driving.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

[This message has been edited by Alan Gouger (edited 08-25-2001).]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem solved... So I'm so sorry Alan, now they don't want to ship it to your house! In fact this bad-boy is headed to Denver for some event tomorrow.

It turns out that you need to load a "file" (from withing the BARCO menus) for each of the resolutions that you want the projector to sync to. So when Barco emailed the manual, we were up and going in a matter of minutes. Barco also suggested that the negative sync signal is a requirement for some of their older projectors, but nothing built in the last couple of years.

And now, for some corrections and observations after using this projector for Powerpoint presentation materials and DVD playback:

1. The picture looked rather awesome at night when the outdoor light could not bombard the cheap rental 9x12' screen (it was some kind of plasticy material snapped to a fold-up aluminum frame). We were using color set to 6500 Kelvin.

2. The screen resolution was 1024x768, not 1280x1024 as I had previously posted -- this really did not seem to be much of a problem from any seat in our sanctuary. It really looked quite sharp, including all the way to the corners. Barco does make a 1280x1024 in the same 5000 lumen output class, and it's called the SLM R6.

3. 5000 lumen projectors put out a lot of heat! This projector is rated at 1600 watts, so sitting near it was like being close to a hair dryer with a really small fan.

4. Daylight viewing on the rental screen was really washed out. A guy from Stewart screens suggested that if the subjective quality of a white cheap screen in a brightly lit church was a 1 out of 10, then rear-projection in the same lighting conditions may reach up to about 6.5 out of 10. And, that a grayhawk could be as high as a 5 or 6. This seemed possible, since we tested the projector against a light brown/beige wall and the picture was dramatically better (better blacks and better overall contrast) than when projected on the white screen (during the bright portion of the day). [note: for our church's application, we will likely be limited to front projection, due to pipe organ internals behind where the building committee wants to put the screen.

So, what have I learned that would be interesting to us HT buffs... I learned first hand what many in this forum have been preaching for years -- for a theater-like experience, you cannot discount room preparation! TRY TO KEEP YOUR ROOM AS DARK AS POSSIBLE!

Happy viewing (and listening),

Jim

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
WOW That sure sounds like a monster... I wish that the bulbs for these 3 chip machines could be found at even slightly more moderate prices...

If anyone knows of a way of getting Ampro Alice 5200 bulbs at 1k or less I would be really interested...

------------------
New email [email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

[This message has been edited by Phat Phreddy (edited 08-30-2001).]

·
Registered
80 Posts
Phat Phreddy,

What type of bulb is in the Ampro Alice 5200? If it's Cermax, I may know of a better price. I am still digging through all my files for the vendor, some small distributor in Florida quoted me $700 for a Cermax 500 Watt, with a volume discount (5 or more) of $600... If I can ever find the d_mn email they sent me... Ahh.. If you interested drop me an email..

------------------

Later, LordHz

-------------------------------------------------

"Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts."

-Albert Einstein

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.