AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently connected my Samsung UNES8000 TV to my Marantz NR1403 receiver. I am using HDMI In 2 (ARC) on my Samsung TV, but, when I stream Netflix using the app on the Samsung TV, my receiver doesn't receive the audio. is there a setting that I need to adjust on either the receiver or the TV to enable ARC from the TV to the receiver?

·
Banned
8,303 Posts
All I can come up with in my thinking, do you have the audio properly assigned in the television's audio menu and do you have high speed HDMI cables which have ARC wires in them? Dumb question on my part, have you checked to make sure both ends are fully seated?

FWIW, I'm running a similar Samsung UN60ES6100FXZA. I never used the ARC function as I ran the optical out from the Comcast DVR over to the Marantz SR5007 so as to use the SR5007's DAC.

Doing it this way, for us adds flexibility as we have the best of all world's, audio out from the TV to the headphones and for convenience sake, we can use the TV's speakers and have full 7.2 capability and the freedom to use one solution or simultaneously use all three solutions.

Sorry I can't be more help with your question.

-

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I think - think - that I have to turn on the Anynet+ (HDMI_CEC) setting on the TV in order to use ARC. However, when I turn that setting On on the Samsung TV, I still can't turn another setting called Receiver to On. This makes me believe that perhaps I don't have an HDMI cable capable of carying ARC; is that possible?

·
Premium Member
90,334 Posts
Cables are either "High Speed" (1080p) or "Standard Speed" (720p, 1080i); however, either can pass ARC audio so it's not likely an issue with the cable if it's passing video to the TV. For the ARC feature to work, you must have HDMI-Control set to ON on the AVR as well as the HDMI-CEC feature (eg. Anynet+) set to ON on the TV with audio set to Home Theater or external speakers.

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
Happens frequently with Samsung ...

They do not have their HDMI products certified, and often their implementation for CEC doesn't work properly with other brands...

Just my $0.02...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1420249/trouble-using-arc-from-samsung-unes8000-to-marantz-nr1403#post_22220007

Cables are either "High Speed" (1080p) or "Standard Speed" (720p, 1080i); however, either can pass ARC audio so it's not likely an issue with the cable if it's passing video to the TV. For the ARC feature to work, you must have HDMI-Control set to ON on the AVR as well as the HDMI-CEC feature (eg. Anynet+) set to ON on the TV with audio set to Home Theater or external speakers.

Thanks. So I have to have HDMI-CEC turned On (in the case of the Samsung TV, Anynet+, turned On) in order to use ARC? That makes sense.

·
Banned
8,303 Posts
Although not using ARC on our system, the best I can assert is, ARC is auto-switched with the newer Marantz and Samsung models.

Pg 8 of the SR5007's e-manual makes no mention of any user required switching. It twice makes mention of the need to use a HDMI cable with Ethernet.

"When the ARC function is used, connect a device with a “Standard HDMI cable with Ethernet” or “High Speed HDMI cable with Ethernet” for HDMI."

The same with Samsung. All I can find with Samsung is in the printed model provided with the television. From Pg 11.
  • We recommend using a basic high-speed HDMI cable or an HDMI cable that is Ethernet compatible. Note that this product does not support the Ethernet function via HDMI.
  • This product supports the ARC (Audio Return Channel) function via an HDMI cable. Note that the ARC function is supported by the HDMI IN 2 (ARC) port only.
  • The ARC function allows digital audio to output via the HDMI in 2 (ARC) port on the TV. It can be enabled only when the TV is connected with an audio receiver that supports the ARC function.

(turn page)

So far, I haven't found anything regarding ARC in Samsung's e-manual which is "ONLY" 673 pages long.

Click, click-click-click, click, click-click-click some more.......

Starting on page 580 of the Samsung UN60ES6100 e-manual, Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) and it's use/implementation is covered.

Hmmmmmm, this might be important:

–– To hear 5.1 channel audio, connect

HDMI cables to your Anynet+ DVD

player, satellite box, etc. Then,

connect the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT

(OPTICAL) port on your DVD

player, Satellite Box, etc. (i.e.

Anynet+ Device 1 or 2) directly to

the Home Theater, not the TV.

-

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jdsmoothie,

Do you know what specific setting I should change on the Marantz NR1403 receiver? All I can find is under Inputs / Input Select / Input Mode which I can change from Auto (factory setting) to either HDMI, Digital or analog. Can this be the correct setting? Is it possible that this setting just applies to the Output on the AVR? Or does it apply to each of the Inputs that are connected, too, given that the setting is on the Input menu? I don;t see a setting on the AVR for "HDMI Control."

·
Premium Member
90,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleroi  /t/1420249/trouble-using-arc-from-samsung-unes8000-to-marantz-nr1403/0_100#post_22220470

Thanks. So I have to have HDMI-CEC turned On (in the case of the Samsung TV, Anynet+, turned On) in order to use ARC? That makes sense.

Yes, with HDMI-CEC enabled on both units and the HDMI cable plugged in to the ARC HDMI jack on the Samsung (ie. #2), you should be good to go. The downside is, however, once it's working correctly, it will switch the AVR to the TV input everytime both are powered ON ... so if this is not desirable, you may want to forgo using ARC and simply connect an optical cable from the TV to the AVR instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleroi  /t/1420249/trouble-using-arc-from-samsung-unes8000-to-marantz-nr1403/0_100#post_22220543

jdsmoothie,

Do you know what specific setting I should change on the Marantz NR1403 receiver? All I can find is under Inputs / Input Select / Input Mode which I can change from Auto (factory setting) to either HDMI, Digital or analog. Can this be the correct setting? Is it possible that this setting just applies to the Output on the AVR? Or does it apply to each of the Inputs that are connected, too, given that the setting is on the Input menu? I don;t see a setting on the AVR for "HDMI Control."

See HDMI Control (p. 65 OM).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks jdsmoothie! I'm sorry I did not see that setting myself.

So, are you saying that if turn on HDMI Control on both the TV and the AVR that every time both are powered On (which will be anytime use the TV) I will only be able to use audio originating from the TV (in my case, that would only be from Samsung Smart Hub apps; I don't have a television antenna connected to the TV).

I don't quite understand the statement "it will switch the AVR to the TV input everytime..." as there is no input on the AVR for TV. Do you mean that I will always be able to switch video inputs on the AVR (I have a Samsung cable box, Panasonic Blu Ray player, and Apple TV media player all hooked up to the appropriate AVR inputs, in addition to a radio antenna for AM/FM radio) but I won't be able to carry audio over those inputs instead defaulting to audio carried from the TV to the AVR through that HDMI cable that is going out from the AVR? If so, will the AVR transfer audio from the video input to the TV and then back to the AVR? if not, what audio would be played?

Thanks so much for providing such expert advice.

·
Banned
8,303 Posts
Just adding, I think the word to describe the action on power-up is; "default."

When I wake up in the morning, I default to grumpy. The wife pushes my remote control buttons and makes me change to happy or she'll pull my batteries and do a reset. But often, as with most, my morning default setting is grumpy; must have coffee.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the help. I understand what you're saying, but, if I have this right, if I use ARC, nothing would be plugged in to the TV Audio input on the AVR. If something is plugged in to that, why would I need to use ARC?

- OPTION 1 using ARC: HDMI cord from the Monitor ARC HDMI Out output on the AVR to the HDMI2 (ARC) input on the TV. Nothing is plugged in to the TV Audio input on the AVR.

- OPTION 2 not using ARC: Same HDMI cord as above. Digital audio optical cable from Audio output on TV to TV Audio input on AVR.

Under OPTION 2, I obviously don't have to do anything but select TV Audio as the input on the AVR when using the TV's native apps. If I use OPTION 1 in order to utilize the ARC capabilities of the TV and AVR, how would the AVR default to the TV Audio input if nothing is plugged in?

What are the disadvantages of using OPTION 2 other than the bother of having the mess of using two cords rather than one (which I would certainly prefer if all else is equal)?

·
Premium Member
90,334 Posts
ARC works using the "TV Audio" source input "name" and just as other HDMI and digital sources can be "assigned" to other names then what is on the individual jack's label so can the "TV Audio" source name that is on the OPT1 input be "assigned" to another source name (ie. ARC HDMI). With Option 2, there are no disadvanteges other than having to add the optical cable from the TV to the AVR ... and in some cases it's actually MORE advantageous as the TV may limit ARC audio to PCM 2.0 while allowing DD 5.1 via the optical audio output.

·
Banned
8,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleroi  /t/1420249/trouble-using-arc-from-samsung-unes8000-to-marantz-nr1403#post_22221131

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the help. I understand what you're saying, but, if I have this right, if I use ARC, nothing would be plugged in to the TV Audio input on the AVR. If something is plugged in to that, why would I need to use ARC?

- OPTION 1 using ARC: HDMI cord from the Monitor ARC HDMI Out output on the AVR to the HDMI2 (ARC) input on the TV. Nothing is plugged in to the TV Audio input on the AVR.

- OPTION 2 not using ARC: Same HDMI cord as above. Digital audio optical cable from Audio output on TV to TV Audio input on AVR.

Under OPTION 2, I obviously don't have to do anything but select TV Audio as the input on the AVR when using the TV's native apps. If I use OPTION 1 in order to utilize the ARC capabilities of the TV and AVR, how would the AVR default to the TV Audio input if nothing is plugged in?

What are the disadvantages of using OPTION 2 other than the bother of having the mess of using two cords rather than one (which I would certainly prefer if all else is equal)?

We send the Comcast's digital DVR audio signal straight to the AVR via an optical link as opposed to the TV and the video signal is sent straight to the TV via HDMI connected to the Comcast HD-DVR box. Sending a HDMI signal from the Comcast DVR to the TV, also sends audio to the TV. Ya gotta plug the audio in somewhere. And then one has to make sure the AVR, via the AVR's HDMI video out channel, communicates with the TV so you can see the receiver's GUI.

Number of cables:

2-HDMI cables.

1-Optical cable.

1-Y splitter for the cordless headphones.

Plug the audio into the AVR or the Television, you still have to plug the audio source in to something to get AVR to function.

-

·
Banned
16,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458  /t/1420249/trouble-using-arc-from-samsung-unes8000-to-marantz-nr1403#post_22219512

All I can come up with in my thinking, do you have the audio properly assigned in the television's audio menu and do you have high speed HDMI cables which have ARC wires in them? Dumb question on my part, have you checked to make sure both ends are fully seated?

FWIW, I'm running a similar Samsung UN60ES6100FXZA. I never used the ARC function as I ran the optical out from the Comcast DVR over to the Marantz SR5007 so as to use the SR5007's DAC.

Doing it this way, for us adds flexibility as we have the best of all world's, audio out from the TV to the headphones and for convenience sake, we can use the TV's speakers and have full 7.2 capability and the freedom to use one solution or simultaneously use all three solutions.

Sorry I can't be more help with your question.

-

7 channel cannot be carried on the optical connection, altho your AVR might be able to take the signal and output 7 chanel; the .2 just means your AVR has two sub outputs.

·
Banned
8,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/1420249/trouble-using-arc-from-samsung-unes8000-to-marantz-nr1403#post_22221218

7 channel cannot be carried on the optical connection, altho your AVR might be able to take the signal and output 7 chanel; the .2 just means your AVR has two sub outputs.

Thank-you for the missive correction. Understood, if using a BD player and HDMI cables, one will have 7.2 (DTS-HD) as Comcast and optical cables only do 5.1.

(Yes, I understand the 0.2 comes via an internal "Y" to 2 external RCA sub-outs.)

jdsmoothie has beaten me with an iron frying pan on the above 0.2 issue.

(j/k jd)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everybody. I think I understand. The inputs / outputs being renamed are just details. What you;re saying is:

With OPTION 1

- one cord (HDMI) running between AVR and TV

- when I power both On, the AVR will default to the TV as the video source and audio source (monitor will likely be devoid of video content in this case because there is nothing feeding it video unless I press the Smart Hub button on the TV remote or switch the video source on the AVR).

- ARC may or may not be able to handle 5.1 sound (I don't have a 7.1 setup)

With OPTION 2

- two cords (HDMI for video; digital optical audio for audio) between the AVR and the TV

- when i power both On, the AVR will default to the last video source I selected (as it does now)

- Digital Optical Audio can handle 5.1 sound

If I were to program a Universal Remote, though, the first downside of Option 1 would be obviated though, would it not? The second downside would, obviously, remain.

If I got this right, then I'll just use my existing digital optical audio cable to output audio from the TV to the AVR as I know it can handle 5.1 audio. One extra cord, but easier for me when I power system On, and 5.1 for sure.

Thanks everybody!

·
Banned
16,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458  /t/1420249/trouble-using-arc-from-samsung-unes8000-to-marantz-nr1403#post_22221309

Thank-you for the missive correction. Understood, if using a BD player and HDMI cables, one will have 7.2 (DTS-HD) as Comcast and optical cables only do 5.1.

(Yes, I understand the 0.2 comes via an internal "Y" to 2 external RCA sub-outs.)

jdsmoothie has beaten me with an iron frying pan on the above 0.2 issue.

(j/k jd)

He needs to use a bigger pan then. You do not have 7.2 DTS HD as it doesn't exist. You simply need two subs and either an AVR that has two outs or an external splitter....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts