AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've been looking all over for answers to my trouble, and I've tried allot to resolve the trouble, so, without further ado...

System :

A8N-SLI with AMD 3800x2, and 1Gig of ram

EVGA 7600Gt 256Meg PCIE w/HDCP (several driver versions between 169.xx and 175)

DVD-RW 16x (NEC) but using EIDE(not SATA)

Hauppauge 500 dual tuner

WinXP pro w/sp2 (not MCE)

SageTV 6.3

PowerDVD 7.?

NV Purevideo

K-Lite pack(latest)

So, I bought a new TV, Samsung LN52A650(LCD), and I'm trying to configure the old HDPC to run smoothly with 1080p... its pretty good with the occasional stutter(side scrolling, or action scenes worse that others). I've tried many configurations with the codecs, and filters, but nothing is perfect. Now these are just plain old DVD's, I'm not trying to get into HD yet. I figured i should get this working the way i want before I even delve into HD.

During this process, I thought i'd try another video card, and purchased an ATI 3650 w/512meg of ram. A newer video card, and should be able to handle the load a little more than the 7600GT, but it didn't help much. (Used Drivercleaner to remove drivers between video card installations)

So, to the question... Is this all the software I need? or am I using too much?(codec's conflicting?) is the processor not enough? not enough ram? Or is the stuttering due to the DVD being upscaled to 1080p? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Spook

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Wait a sec. If you're playing regular DVDs, how are they 1080p?

If they're ordinary DVDs and your filters/codecs are set up right, there should be nothing to stop you from using your old 7600GT. PowerDVD should take care of your DVD playback without too many issues. I'd advise you get rid of the K-Lite codec pack, download media player classic and get the following filters:

AC3filter

ffdshow

Haali Media splitter and renderer

...and spring a few bucks for CoreAVC Pro too.

Now with everything you have you should be undefeatable by current video formats. I'm concerned that regular DVDs won't play back right with the decent system you have.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
What interface are you using VGA or HDMI?

Does TV also stutter?

If not then the problem is not with your graphics card or it's drivers. It appears to be with your DVD playing software.

You also might try lowering your desktop and output resolution to 720p and let the TV upscale that to 1080p.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been playing around with this the past couple of days, and the trouble doesn't seem to be the HTPC at all, after reading through the thread on my LCD as AVSforum, it appears the little glitches(stutters) I see, are par for the course on an LCD screen. Adjustments can be made, and yes I was overdriving the amp. I lowered settings on the LCD, and things are much better, allthough not perfect.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1007540

It appears that the trouble is a limitation on the LCD itself, not the HTPC... Im glad i didn't order more parts, I was thinking of getting more ram, and faster CPU....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts