AVS Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. Just registered to this site, and it looks phenomenal; hoping somebody may be able to help me out with my current issue.

Just got PS3 and a new TV (Pioneer PDP-5080HD). Still using my Denon AVR-5800 receiver, which I got I think in 2001 or so. PS3 is connected to TV via HDMI; PS3 to the receiver via digital optical.

On the PS3, audio output setting is digital out (optical). Selected formats are Dolby 5.1, DTS 5.1, and Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz (though for some unknown reason these PCM formats are "grayed" out).

My receiver source selection is DVD, and DVD=digital optical 1. So it should work. And in fact CD's play fine, and so far as I can tell Blu-ray discs play fine.

Trouble has been with concert DVD's. About two minutes in, the receiver shuts down and the red power light flashes. This has happened a number of times. I shut the receiver off, and restarted it; it shuts down again. I unplugged it and turned it back on and played a CD. But with a concert DVD (U2's "Vertigo," from Chicago in 2005, in case you're interested), it shut off again. By the way it also shut off with another concert DVD, so it isn't just the one.

Any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated. If I can't figure this one out, I may just say forget it and go get one of the new Pioneer Elite receivers and run everything from the PS3 through HDMI. But this Denon has been strong for years now and shouldn't have anything wrong with it.

Many thanks,

Sean Burke

1 - 1 of 1 Posts