AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been struggling all day with the hardrive upgrade for Ultimate Tv. Nothing was wrong with my original HD, I just went for more hours of recording. I bought a Western Digital WD1200JD (LBA count is 234441648) and installed it into my UTV this morning. I then took the update (284 pieces, 104 minutes) however I think something got corrupted during the download because the remote commands were taking 15-30 seconds to reach the IRD and the dual tuner was struggling to keep both screens going. I decided to reinstall my original HD, take the software update on it and sure enough, it works flawlessly. My question is how do I redo the software download on my new HD? When I put the WD Hardrive into the unit, it just gives me a constant light show of green, yellow, and red lights. There is no way to turn it off other than unplugging the IRD. What now?

Thanks for the input,

Reider:(

·
Registered
592 Posts
The "light show" means it is reformatting the drive prior to dialing and downloading. This is normal on any drive that is replaced with another drive, then reinstalled. You need to let it finish the reformat before it will continue (somewhere between 90-120 minutes).

As for the slow remote and sluggish performance, that's a new one. I don't recall anyone installing a new, bigger drive and having that happen. You might want to give it one more try since you are halfway there with the disk reformat anyway. As long as you are getting a good download, it sounds like the worst that can happen is that you'll have to reinstall the original drive ... again.

-TJ

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should I leave the IDE cable connected as it is formatting? I assume that I would but I noticed an earlier post that suggested that it be pulled for 90-120 minutes. Also, will the light show end once the drive is formatted and then send me to the download screen option where I can try this thing again?

Thanks for the help

Reider

·
Registered
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Reider
Should I leave the IDE cable connected as it is formatting? I assume that I would but I noticed an earlier post that suggested that it be pulled for 90-120 minutes. Also, will the light show end once the drive is formatted and then send me to the download screen option where I can try this thing again?

Thanks for the help

Reider
Yes, keep the drive connected while it is formatting. (You only disconnect it when you no longer want to use a drive in the UTV.)

Yes, when the format is complete, the UTV will redownload the software again.

It is possible that the new drive is defective.

Clip

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This lightshow is taking an unusually long time as it has been formatting since 6 pm CST (2 hrs 20 mins). Hopefully it will shut down soon. Does the 120 gig drive take longer to format?

Reider

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
hi,

Is it still formatting? If it doesn't start downloading soon you may want to switch off the UTV if it responds to the ON/OFF switch... then see if the UTV will try a download on power up.

·
Registered
17,698 Posts
That does sound like a long time. There may be a defect in the drive. I've seen long formats occur when there are bad sectors on the drive. I'd take it back and exchange it for another. Even if it finally works, a defective drive will cause problems down the road.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I agree, I think the drive is defective. I thought I got a good deal from Googlegear, buying it for $128 with free 2 day shipping. Now I am beginning to wonder if they sell refurbished drives rather than new factory stuff as it was also rather noisy. Anyway, I powered down and rebooted and it just went back into reformatting mode when I powered back up, no dial out screen. Eventually got the "call Thompson Electronics/ network needs repair or replacement" message. Has anyone dealt with Googlegear before? How is their exchange policy? Will they pay for return shipping or will they try to stick me with it?

Reider

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No. I was told to completely remove the jumper alltogether and that is what I did. Would this make a difference?

Reider

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have five jumper setting options on my JB drive, they are as follows:

1. CS

2. Slave

3. Master

4. "Blank"

5. PW2

Which one should I be using? Master?

Reider

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would try first with the drive set as master. CS(cable select) has worked for others I believe, but do some searching in the forums and I think you'll get a more accurate answer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.