AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure I am posting in the right place. If not, mods, please move to correct location.

Here is my situation. I run an audio out cord (RCA) from my TV to my receiver. It works perfectly except when I also connect my laptop to the receiver (from headphone jack to different RCA ports). When I introduce this second connection (laptop to receiver), I get horrible static when listening to the TV. When I switch the receiver to listen to what is playing on the laptop (even if nothing is playing), the static stops. The problem only exists when listening to the TV. I tried all the different ports in the receiver but problem persists. I tried a new laptop, problem persists. My next try is going to be to try a new HP to RCA cord from my lap top but I am not optimistic. I aslo tried different power strips. I sometimes can get the problem to stop if I run the laptop on battery (not plugged in), but not always.

Ideas on cause and remedies?

thanks.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sounds like a grounding problem to me. But it will sometimes do it (awful noise) with the laptop on battery? That breaks the ground loop, so if you're seeing it then, it's got to be something else.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you may be onto something here. I only have the problem when running the laptop on battery if I also have an external monitor attached to the lap top (AC powered).

Thoughts on how to resolve?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Ok, that makes sense, the VGA/DVI cord will show the same issues as a power cord.

No, I'm not exactly sure how to fix it; I've heard it in other's systems before, and it has something to do with your electrical wiring; but, unfortunately, other than that, I can only ask other readers to help or suggest some Google time!

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/co...m-hum-and-buzz

Hope this helps!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.