AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I own a BenQ W1200 projector, sticker dated 2011 but I believe I bought it in 2013.

It traveled around with me, from Singapore, to Europe, Chicago, and now back to Paris. The projector had stayed in its box for like 3 years (storage, and then I just didn't have the right living space in Chicago) and now I've been using it again for about 4 months.

The color quickly started switching to purple on a regular basis, particularly when I switched HDMI inputs. I first thought it was the lamp, though otherwise the image looked good as usual.

I changed the lamp and the problem persisted, now quickly or easily going to weird buzzing / whirring, or even color flickering wild. Yesterday the lamp just started turning itself off.

After watching a bunch of videos online, I'm pretty certain sure it's actually the color wheel.

I managed to pull the inside apart, get to the color wheel, clean some dust on the way (there was some but really not a lot, I think I took good care of the projector all things considered), I was hoping it might be the sensor. I cleaned it, closed everything up again (an achievement in itself for me), but I still seem to have the same problem - maybe worse now.

The wheel itself looks good, as does the sensor. I'm thinking it's the bearing that has an issue or maybe it just got old?

Is there a way to confirm I should replace the color wheel? Is a replacement easier, or might there be a mechanical fix? I got like 3-4 more months out of it lately but now seems I have to fix it.

I have images and a video, though this being my first post I can't add those right now.

Any ideas or recommendations are welcome, thank you for reading!

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
It is possible it is a failing color wheel. I would look into the service menu to see if you are getting any speed errors with it. It may also be possible to calibrate it.

I haven't Googled that hard about things, but looked into the W1070 service menu and it may be similar on the 1300.

With the w1070 ON THE PROJECTOR (not the remote) you press menu then ENTER&SOURCE and it brings up the service menu. Might be the same and give you some vital information.

Nice video on getting into the service menu, without any details at all beyond that...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought I'd update the thread in case it's every useful to anyone else.

I had advice and a lot of help from watching FixitFrank Youtube video channels. There are repairs of a couple of different BenQ models, not mine but it helped. I just took it patiently and slowly.

I checked the service menu, though on my projector it's a pretty different menu than on the video above and it wasn't helpful - it was a list of numerical values for color ranges and I didn't touch that.

I was also advised to check if my new compatible lamp & housing had a similar IR cover on the lens in front of the lamp, being told that cheaper ones typically don't have a purple / pink hue like OEM lamp housing have, and that may also play in terms of temperature and trigger the projector to switch the lamp off.

My new lamp doesn't have the right lens coating, though the old lens has quite a halo inside that I'm assuming is from heat. I'm not sure whether I can find a similar lens somewhere else, I'll have a look around though if you have an idea of the right part please keep in touch.

I pulled the projector apart again and did a couple of tests on the wheel to confirm it's ageing and it really doesn't turn as well as I see it should on other videos. Given the purple / pink color and the color flickering problem preceded my lamp change, I think it's more the color wheel, but the new lamp's heat and lack of (or lesser?) lens IR coating probably isn't helping either.

I ordered a new color wheel on Ebay.

In the meantime, I put the projector all back together, set the old original lamp back in and changed the lamp setting to Economy mode.

For now it's working fine, it's a temporary fix until I receive the new color wheel, but at least I can use it, no trouble at all so far.

Thanks!

PS: I'm too newbie to post photos just yet

1 - 4 of 4 Posts