AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a (more or less) functional M&S DMC1 intercom system in my home. The house was built in 2008, so the system is likely the same age. The question I have is regarding two 45-ohm ceiling speakers outside on my patio, connected to a volume control.

I've read manuals & such that are clear in saying each speaker must have its own volume control. I can't be sure of the connections, but I am sure that there are two speakers and a single volume control. What I'd like to know is how to troubleshoot this system. I can measure the resistance of the speakers--at least, I can when I get my Fluke fixed. I can check voltages at the volume control. I just don't know what to look for.

Can anyone provide insight on how to check for problems in this system?

Secondly, and a lot less important... Here's are the room stations I've been able to identify, and their channels on the master unit:

M = MASTER UNIT

1 = Bedroom 3

2 = bedroom 4

3 = bedroom 2

4 = master bedroom

5 = patio AND media room

6 = office

7 = nothing?

8 = nothing?

9 = nothing?

P = nothing?

Channel 5 is... two different stations? I didn't think that was possible. I checked by turning on music to all stations, and clicking them off at the master unit one by one. If I click off channel 5, both the patio and the media room stations go quiet. All 7 room stations are accounted for above. There is also a front door station which I don't believe gets music.

I'm also wondering about 7, 8, 9, and P and whether they can be related to my speaker problem above. And I'm curious if I should try to move the patio station from channel 5 to P.

I appreciate any help with this!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Last night I pulled off the cover plate for the volume control and found an 800 number. It's a phone number for Speakercraft, so evidently it's equipment made by them, not by Linear or M&S... but it must be connected to my intercom, unless it's just disconnected from everything. There's no other built-in source.

I'm going to try to see what I can find out from Speakercraft.

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
VCs are probably speakercraft, and not a part of the intercom system.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad  /t/1523649/troubleshooting-linear-m-s-dmc1-intercom-system-audio#post_24555631

VCs are probably speakercraft, and not a part of the intercom system.
That's what Speakercraft said. Up to this point, I thought it was all intercom-related--especially since the volume controls look identical to those that Linear provides.

Now, to find out where the input end of those wires are...

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
Cool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts