AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a behringer e4000 I believe which have several connections on the back. One of which is a 1/4" jack ( actually It's two) . One for input 1 and one for input two. On the front I have two corresponding knobs. I'm assuming these are left and right. I want to hook an ipod right into the inputs. Is this possible using a stereo 1/8 in plug to 2 stereo 1/4 plugs and then using balanced cables on the 1/4 in side to go into the amp.

· Registered
6,946 Posts
No. You would want that 1/8" stereo plug to go to two 1/4" mono/TS plugs.

· Registered
2,623 Posts
What are the TRS jacks labeled?

If they are labeled as INSERT, that is not really a TRS input but rather a combination of input (Tip) and output (Ring) for connection an effects device.

Is configured as Tape in/out jack field would be.

Let us know how it is labeled then we can move ahead.

· Registered
2,623 Posts
OK, I used the original model number you posted of E4000 and there is no such animal. Now with the correct number I found the data sheet. The wording is not as clear as it should be about the TRS connectors.

These are technically a stereo connector in many configurations but in this case they are configured for a electronically balanced single channel input.

All you so is wire the shield of an RCA cable or the shield of the audio cable from the MP3 to the sleeve contact AND the ring contact of the channel one input. The tip of the TRS goes to the center conductor of the RCA or to the corresponding contact of the stereo mini from the MP3.

Duplicate this for the other channel of the EP40000 and use the remaining contact of the stereo mini from the MP3 or the other channel RCA.

If you find a stereo mini to left and right RCA cable (red and white) then you can use a MONO 1/4 phone to RCA female adapter on each Y output and there ya go!

· Registered
302 Posts
wow Gizmo, I was in audio for a living for 7 years and the way you worded that was really confusing even to me...

If the manual says:

"they are stereo left and right and can be used with unbalanced cables as well. But as I see it in the manual the only time they want you to use unbalanced cables is when you are in bridged mode."

Then that means they are mono, TRS inputs. Or balanced, mono/single channel connections. And together, they make up the left and right inputs. The connections can accept balanced TRS cables, or unbalanced TS cables. TS and TRS are the same cable, TS just has a signal and ground connection in it. TRS has tip, ring, and sleeve, which is how it gets the balanced signal across. I think "tip" is negative, "ring" is positive, and "sleve" is the ground. Honestly I dont remember what pins are what because when soldering 1/4" cables I just remember that "pin 2 is hot and 3 is not".

Now that all the technical mumbo jumbo is out of the way, to to from an 1/8" connection (like out of your computer or MP3 player) into the inputs on the amp, you will need a simple cable and a couple adapters. Get a "stereo 1/8" to two RCA" cable, and then two RCA to 1/4" adapters. That will get your left and right audio signal into the proper left and right connections on the amp. It is not possible to get balanced TRS inputs from a stereo 1/8" cable so the connection will use unbalanced TS connectors. The reason is because the 1/8" plug is using the tip and ring connections as left and right, and there are no more placesto get a balanced signal from. It is possible to change an unbalanced stereo signal into two balanced left and right signals if you use some transformers. But you dont really want to do that as there isnt really too much of a point. Unbalanced will be fine for most scenarios.

cable:
http://cgi.ebay.com/6-ft-1-8-3-5mm-m...3A1%7C294%3A50

Adapters:
http://cgi.ebay.com/RCA-Female-jack-...3A1%7C294%3A50

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.