AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AKA Truck Marty?

So I had this thought, on Easter actually. What if you built a large sub to fit the back of your truck, that had maybe 2 18" horn-loaded subs? It would in theory out-perform a lot of DJ type setups for smallish venues. You could use an iNuke or feedback destroyer to smooth out the response a little bit. Lets say you have a Fullsize truck with extended cab, that gives you ~ 6.5" long, 4" high, and 4-6" wide depending on what you did about the wheel wells. Add a couple of big 2-way cabs and you'd have yourself a pretty high output system. :)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
It's not a bad idea if you don't mind cutting up a nice truck.

There's a lot of wasted space in a truck box though, not just wheel wells, so why not remove the box completely and bolt the sub right onto the frame? If you're going to do it do it right. Make it out of metal, contour it so it looks like a truck box, paint it like the cab and you're off to the bass races.

I may or may not have considered this in the past...

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
check out the range of subs over at the BF site:D

seems easily and eminently doable

and within a reasonable price win-win

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My idea was the horn mouth would be out the back of the truck bed. You would put the tailgate down (or off?) and be ready to party. I think most live sound only goes down to 50 Hz or so, you should be able to do better than that, even out to 100'.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
If I'm not mistaken sub boxes for car audio are usually tuned in the 30-40Hz range.
Usually not flat response either, but you can tune wherever you want and have whatever response curve you want. Just because it's in a vehicle doesn't lock you into what people usually do in vehicles.

I love this idea. Have the mouth exit through the back window of the truck, take video, profit....
Through the back window? Is this going to be a cube van or a pick up truck? People usually port into the cab underneath the window, then it still looks like a pickup and doesn't obstruct your view through the back window. I like where you are going with this though, but at that point you might as well just do a cube ban like this.

Or an enclosed vehicle like this but maybe with the doors welded shut.

That last one is kinda hypnotic and artistic when she leans back...

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I'm not mistaken sub boxes for car audio are usually tuned in the 30-40Hz range.
This is not about car audio. This is about bringing copious amounts of deep, loud bass to a party or outdoor venue.
I think strong output down to 30 Hz would be the goal, if music is what you had in mind.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
It seems like you would want some way to extend the mouth of the horn to the ground in order to utilize the ground for its effect of lengthening the horn.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have a been wanting to build some subs for my truck, which is a 2008 single cab Chevy pickup. Problem is that In a single cab, there are almost no spaces to put the enclosures, except for behind and or under the seats, which doesn't allow for very large enclosures. I wonder how many cubes I could get in a pair of enclosures with one being behind the seats and the other being beneath? I have never really researched car subs so I am also unfamiliar with what are the hot trends in car audio drivers. Any suggestions on drivers in the $150 range that would sound good in w single cab truck?

·
Banned
180 Posts
I have a been wanting to build some subs for my truck, which is a 2008 single cab Chevy pickup. Problem is that In a single cab, there are almost no spaces to put the enclosures, except for behind and or under the seats, which doesn't allow for very large enclosures. I wonder how many cubes I could get in a pair of enclosures with one being behind the seats and the other being beneath? I have never really researched car subs so I am also unfamiliar with what are the hot trends in car audio drivers. Any suggestions on drivers in the $150 range that would sound good in w single cab truck?
The Truck Tuba might work for you, and drivers for it come in well under $100.
http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/AutoTruckTuba.html

1 - 18 of 18 Posts